Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

2018 Redhawk 29xk Solar prewire?

I'm picking up my used (new to me) 2018 Redhawk 29xk on Thursday. I'm anxious to get started personalizing it. The salesman (yeah I know) advised it is prewired for solar. Is this true? If so, which wall is the gopower charge controller supposed to go on? I don't plan on using the GP setup, but I will likely have to splice those wires to get the power down to the basement and my planned charge controller.

Thanks in advance.
supereri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:25 AM   #2

My 2018 Redhawk 25R is wired for solar from Jayco. I thought all 2018 and on were pre-wired.
The wires from the roof run all the way to the storage compartment adjacent to the battery compartment on mine.
You'll want to install your charge controller as close to the battery as possible to reduce loss.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

Thanks, that's good to hear. Yeah, the shorter and thicker the 12v section the better to limit loss.

I'm thinking of running an MPPT controller and either 12v or 24v panels in series to keep the voltage high (and losses lower) from the roof.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #4

I have a 200W kit sitting in the basement waiting for the weather to break. I'm hoping to get it installed soon!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereri View Post
I'm picking up my used (new to me) 2018 Redhawk 29xk on Thursday. I'm anxious to get started personalizing it. The salesman (yeah I know) advised it is prewired for solar. Is this true? If so, which wall is the gopower charge controller supposed to go on? I don't plan on using the GP setup, but I will likely have to splice those wires to get the power down to the basement and my planned charge controller.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Superier,

I have reviewed and enjoyed your post. Question did you install the BIM-225 & BGA 225? Your system is almost identical to ours on our 2017 Grayhawk. Many thanks!
GaSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSlick View Post
Hello Superier,

I have reviewed and enjoyed your post. Question did you install the BIM-225 & BGA 225? Your system is almost identical to ours on our 2017 Grayhawk. Many thanks!

I installed the BIM but not the BGA.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:48 AM   #7

[QUOTE=supereri;893067]I installed the BIM but not the BGA.[/QUOTE

Do you still have your original house battery and is this why you didn't use the BGA? Is this where it would go? We are nearing the completion of our wiring and these 2 components are very confusing to us. Thanks so much for your help. ]
Old 09-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #8

[QUOTE=GaSlick;893090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supereri View Post
I installed the BIM but not the BGA.[/QUOTE

Do you still have your original house battery and is this why you didn't use the BGA? Is this where it would go? We are nearing the completion of our wiring and these 2 components are very confusing to us. Thanks so much for your help. ]
I still have the original lead acid battery. I have a manual switch that can connect the lead acid bank to the lithiums but I never use it. I have plenty of solar and don't need to charge from the alternator.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram for the BGA? The BGA seems to simply shut down the batteries if they get too low. Seems pretty straight forward.

https://1t1pye1e13di20waq11old70-wpe...-Guide-r02.pdf
Old 09-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #9

[QUOTE=supereri;893261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSlick View Post

I still have the original lead acid battery. I have a manual switch that can connect the lead acid bank to the lithiums but I never use it. I have plenty of solar and don't need to charge from the alternator.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram for the BGA? The BGA seems to simply shut down the batteries if they get too low. Seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks so much!! We are still waiting on Jayco to send the wiring diagrams on our existing wiring. The diagram from Battleborn is straight forward as you say.

https://1t1pye1e13di20waq11old70-wpe...-Guide-r02.pdf