Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

2018 Redhawk furnace problems

I don't get it, furnace kicks on until it drops below freezing. Unfortunately that is when I really want it to work. Plenty of propane, fan kicks on, fuse is good. This has happened several times before and as soon as it warms up outside the furnace works fine. Thanks for any advice on this.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #2

We have the same problem, 2018 Redhawk.
christiansorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #3

I am not able to keep my furnace going for more than 3 minutes. Dumb question I think but does it only use propane and not electricity? The manual is no help
kstabile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Always state what type of furnace you have, so members can help you better. If you don't have an outside access door (most of them don't anymore) the furnace has to be removed for bench testing. Atwoods are easier to service than the Suburbans, but basically they work with the same technology. Both run on the 12 volts system.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #5

We have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV and like others, have had to have the thermostat replaced. I'm not close to our rig right now so I can't get you the brand of thermostat, but it wasn't working properly so a dealer determined that it was bad and out it went. We have had no problems since then.

Next issue...do you have a furnace and a heat pump? We do and the heat pumps don't work when the outside temperatures head toward freezing. Our thermostat has settings for electric heat (heat pump) and for gas heat (furnace). If there is a huge difference between the inside temperature and the setting on the thermostat, and the thermostat is on electric heat, the gas furnace will also come on until the inside temperature rises closer to the temperature you have set on the thermostat. Then the heat pump operates alone to get the temperature to the desired level.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #6

Thank you! It would be great if you could send a pic of your thermostat so I can try and replace mine with your brand. Also can you send me a picture of where the control is for the heat pump? My manual says I have one but I don't see a control labeled that way.

You've been a big help
kstabile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Your heat-pump would be in the A/C. If you have one the controls are on the TH. By the way what furnace do you have Atwood or Suburban?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

Here is a picture of the style of thermostat that we have in our MV29. Everything is controlled by this one small unit...air conditioning, furnace, heat pump, and fan. You press the small bar below the up/down arrows and it scrolls through all the functions. I'm not in love with it, but it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airxcel Thermostat.pdf (34.7 KB, 23 views)

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #9

RedHawks do not come with heat pumps. That is a feature GreyHawks have over the RedHawk. Therefore, a Coleman heat/cool thermostat (two way) is what he will need, not one with the heat pump option (three way).
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
RedHawks do not come with heat pumps. That is a feature GreyHawks have over the RedHawk. Therefore, a Coleman heat/cool thermostat (two way) is what he will need, not one with the heat pump option (three way).
I was thinking the same thing.

Also wondering if it's his thermostat causing the issues. The analog thermostat Jayco puts in the Redhawk is TOTAL crap, and temps swing wildly before triggering the furnace or A/C on/off. Many of us have replaced it with the digital version, which is WAY more stable.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

Coleman Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
This is the version that I went to for my GreyHawk because it eliminated all of the scrolling that was needed with the original one. This is the two way version that you will need if you choose to go this way. Hope this helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Digital-...8AAOSwQgpW~qyh
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #12

I recently installed a Honeywell digital home thermostat in the Entegra (no heat pump in the Odyssey) and it works like a charm. 10X better than the POS that came with the RV. Simple install, just checked out YouTube first on how to do it, as I hadn’t done one for an RV before...pretty straightforward. The only thing I recall is that you would have high fan only, but nbd.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #13

sail switch replacement on mine fixed a lot of woes
Old 11-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #14

If it runs for about 3 mins and shuts off, its likely it isn't lighting. Mine does this every once in a while. After about 5 minutes or so it will try again.

Sometimes I've found it was due to filling of the propane tank and shutting off the gas. Maybe there was a dry pocket or something without the gas. Occasionally, I have forgotten (or the dude filling it) to turn the gas back on.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #15

My Greyhawk heat pump is not worth a hoot below 40 degrees. Also my previous Winnebago regular furnace had trouble lighting when temp was below 32 degrees (freezing). Always took 4-6 times to light, but as soon as temp was above 32 all was ok worked good...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote