Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

2018 Seneca HJ passenger side rattle

I have a a horrible rattle on the passenger side when going down the highway, especially when on concrete roads. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue. I thought it was the body in front of the first storage bay but that was not it. We have checked just about everything and cannot figure it out. It drives us insane going down the road.
mbpharmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

We noticed a bad rattle on our first and only trip with the Seneca. It was coming from the right side as well. We thought it was something we had packed in a cupboard or storage area. After several stops and rearranging of different things we finally discovered it to be the wood valance above the entrance door bouncing against the wall. Maybe check it out

Bruce
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 AM   #3

Entrance door? These can rattle pretty good sometimes. My screws kept backing out and once tightened the rattle slowed down. I then installed additional gasket material to the door opening and it stopped.

I also had an issue with the jack knife sofa. I have to place a wedge under it to relieve the cantilevered bounce. I dont think you have that in your unit so that is probably not an issue.

Good luck. Squeaks can be frustrating to track down.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #4

On my 2014 the fiberglass passenger cab step had only one (out of four!) screws hit the supports that secure them to the fuel tank supports. Used to bounce and rattle horribly until I addressed it. Might try wiggling them up and down to rule them out.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
MD3

My passenger side cab rattle was the two fiberglass pieces bumping each other. The rear portion of the passenger step next to the fuel fill... at the bottom is loose and flaps into another part of the RV fiberglass....
If this post was on the Facebook page I could easily share a photo or video...

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

We have a chronic issue where the fiberglass lower cover on the passenger side (in front of the first baggage door) comes loose from the steel framework. It keeps shearing bolts, rivets and such.

Also... there is another fiberglass panel that this can rattle on too...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

I also had one in the passenger cab area. Finally found it by thumping my fist on the passenger front fender on the hood....it was the fiberglass step. It has all its screws but the front ones are not pulled down tight to the brackets so it is canted back and thumps on the lower fiberglass cap right behind the step. Need to get that fixed.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

SloPoke, I had that same issue with that particular panel. I finally fixed the problem of the shearing and stripping by putting a nylon spacer between the two pieces so that I can keep it from working the sheet metal screw loose
Old 10-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #9

Well we figured out what the rattle on the passenger side was. Had the rv at jayco for factory service and we finally got the god awful noise diagnosed. Turned out that during production the employees on the line got lazy and skimped on the screws that attached the coach body to the freight liner body. So as we went down the road the fiberglass would flex and slam against the body of the chassis.
mbpharmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #10

I would first take a look at your cab steps. These are so poorly mounted that the are usually loose and rubbing on the cab. I pulled my steps today to prepare to have the step area coated in Line-X an each side is mounted by 4 screws. Both sides had 2 screws broken letting the step move a bit, then both sides were rubbing on either the cab or the cab/main body corner panel. I have the S2 chassis so I don’t have fuel tanks under the steps so it’s a little easier to diagnose the problem. My brackets have the main one that bolts to the frame and a small secondary bracket that bolts on to support the upper step. After I removed the steps I started looking to see why they didn’t sit right and were rubbing. I found if I removed the upper support bracket the step fit perfectly on the main bracket with even space and clearance all around the step. If I put the upper brackets back on it raised the step 1/4” which then when the lower screws are put in, it racks the step up into the bottom of the cab. When I get the steps back from coating I should be able to easily take care of this by bolting the steps to the main lower bracket, then either oversized drill or oblong the holes in the upper bracket so it doesn’t lift the step when bolted on.

I highly recommend everybody that is having a thump or noise in the cab area to check the steps and see if they are hitting the bottom of the cab and all the screws are tight. Here is a pic showing where the steps are hitting the cab circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails
D6CE051F-608D-41F7-88C8-20E4A7A4A29C.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote