Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

2018 Seneca - Problem Under the Kick Panel

Potential Issue

I was looking to wire a plug for my brake monitor (RVi Brake) on the dash of my 2018.5 Seneca. I decided to tap the power lead under the driver’s seat and install a 2 place 12v socket (). I chose to take up the driver’s plastic kick panel and floor cover panel to run the wire. I found that Jayco had cut two overlapping 1” holes to run the wires for powering the 12v connections from the engine bay, using a hole saw. They covered the two electrical lines with plastic wire loom and ran them through the two holes. They did not install grommets or fill the holes with expanding foam. This is a problem as the constant vibration of these lines against the bare metal holes will eventually lead to wire chafing, not to mention the holes allowing water and rodent to enter the truck.
I took ¼ in rubber hose and made grommets for the cutout – too late for standard grommets (picture). This was to provide chafing relief. I then backed the holes with duct tape and steel wool to prove a backing for a filler and used Flex Steel (FS) to fill the holes. I could have used expanding foam, but had the FS left from a previous job. With the backing in place, the FS set up nicely and forms a great barrier from the elements, while making sure the cables do not move during travel.
I checked the passenger side, and Jayco had done the same, running two more cables using the same to overlapping 1” holes with no grommets or filler.
You need to check yours.

12v Socket set from Amazon….
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca floor.jpg  
dramo77355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #2

Yep, I found the same thing on mine and did pretty much the same fix. I am not sure if Jayco does this or it is done by the company that preps the chassis for Jayco, my guess would be the latter.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #3

Count your Jayco blessings . . . . at least they used plastic wire loom!
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seneca