Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

2018 Seneca Rumor Mill

Any rumors on changes coming on the 18 Senecas?

Beyond the normal color scheme changes I'm not aware of anything yet.

What have you heard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

I do not, I had hoped to get some info but....

Early this month I went to the Cleveland RV Show; DW and I go every year to see what's new in rigs and gear. Last several years Jayco factory people were prevalent at the local Jayco dealer's display areas. But strangely they were not to be found this year. We did go on the very first day as the show opened, maybe that was part of it. I hope it was not a result of the acquisition.

I had hoped to ask them about upcoming changes as well as look over the '17 Senecas to compare them to mine (2014). However the area Seneca dealer didn't bring any! Last year I think they had 4, this year zero! Unfortunate because the Dynamax dealer (Camping World) had a couple and lots of folks were checking them out.

I wish Jayco would introduce a heavy-duty Seneca like the Dynamax HD. 8.9 liter Cummins, 3000-series pushbutton Allison, 100 gallon fuel capacity, more GVWR and GCWR. While I am not dissatisfied with my 6.7 Cummins, I fall into the "more is better" camp! And if Jayco topped it off by offering 4-wheel air disc brakes, the DW would have a battle on her hands!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

I wish Jayco would introduce a heavy-duty Seneca
They did (EMBARK),but it didn't sell. The new SENECAs have full air brakes.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

i like the Seneca drive train just as it is. It will last 100s of thousand miles. If they had one with an optional bigger Cummins I would have bought it because that's just how i am. But that would be a mistake. The one I have is perfect for my needs. I absolutely love it. The Current Seneca is a good buy, it's a chance to move into the Super C type of RV that I would have never done at a higher price point and an exceptional value. Given a chance, if they continue production of these, eventually sales will sky rocket. My Seneca always draws attention at campgrounds from those who have never seen one.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They did (EMBARK),but it didn't sell. The new SENECAs have full air brakes.
As I remember the Embark never had a cabover bunk like the Seneca and Dynamax are both available with. That is something I want/need.

And you are correct, the newer Senecas have full air brakes, but they are S-Cam drum brakes. I mentioned 4-wheel air disc brakes. More expensive - yes, more effective and fade resistant- yes, easier to inspect and maintain (according to heavy truck mechanics) - yes. Am I am picky - yes! I retired as a firefighter and my department exclusively specified discs for the reasons stated.

It was basically a wish list!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
i like the Seneca drive train just as it is. It will last 100s of thousand miles. If they had one with an optional bigger Cummins I would have bought it because that's just how i am. But that would be a mistake. The one I have is perfect for my needs. I absolutely love it. The Current Seneca is a good buy, it's a chance to move into the Super C type of RV that I would have never done at a higher price point and an exceptional value. Given a chance, if they continue production of these, eventually sales will sky rocket. My Seneca always draws attention at campgrounds from those who have never seen one.
I originally thought that I would be a little disappointed in how our Seneca towed - until we took a 2,600 mile trip fully loaded to the GCWR. Our trailer weight was almost 7k and was barely noticed. Sure - we would have opted for a bigger drive-train if it was an option when purchasing it, but we are very satisfied in our 2015 36FK.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

I don't know how the air disc brakes work but with the drum brakes when you lose air pressure the brakes lock up preventing a runaway situation. Had them on my DP and if sized properly to the coach (not always the case!) they do the job well.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #8

I just want to make sure there isn't any confusion, but only those axles equipped with spring brake chambers will "lock up" with a loss of air. With very few exceptions that means only the drive axles, not the steer (front) axles. Every motorhome/motorcoach I have ever looked at only had rear axle spring brakes. And sometimes even the tag axle (if equipped) did not have spring brakes. Now true tandem axle trucks generally have spring brakes on both rear axles, but that isn't the same as a motorcoach tag axle. The steer axles (and some tags) only have a single brake chamber that can apply the brakes with air pressure through the foot (treadle) valve. With no air, no front brakes. Air disc brakes work the same way, rear discs will have spring brake chambers, steer (front) discs do not.

In my attached diagram I show a representative rear axle brake setup with the combination service brake chamber/spring brake chamber. When driving with the parking brake "off" (released), air holds the large spring back keeping the brake released. The treadle (foot) valve applies and releases air to the service chamber to apply and release the brake based on driver input. Lose all air or intentionally apply the parking brake and air is removed from the spring brake chamber and the (very powerful) spring applies the brakes.

I also show a steer (front) axle brake chamber, you can see it looks much different (smaller) because it does not have the big spring to apply the parking brake. It contains a small spring that returns the brakes to the released position when you let off the brakes. But when air is gone, the brake releases. It does not apply when you set the parking brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring-Brakes.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Well, I heard from the Seneca rep today and nothing is changing except for flooring and countertop colors. They may introduce a midyear update with features TBD.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

I found out my ordered Seneca will be an 18. No clue as to what changes there are.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I found out my ordered Seneca will be an 18. No clue as to what changes there are.
Spoke with an acquaintance of mine in Ft. Walton Beach on Friday. He had contacted Jayco several weeks ago to ask about Seneca delivery dates for new orders. He was told that all the 2017 chassis had already been scheduled and that if he ordered it would be a 2018 chassis but would be available for delivery in May. He asked what the differences were between the 2017 and 2018 and could not get an answer, so based on that I would suspect the changes are minimal, if any at all. He was unimpressed that Jayco was unable or unwilling to tell him what the differences would be so I think he will end up going with the Dynamax instead (he was on the fence anyway).
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #12

I can't imagine them changing too without knowing. Hopefully any changes are for the better. I've been searching info on Freightliner changes with no success.
I guess your friend really did it not want a Seneca if that was enough to convince him to buy a Dynamax.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

We were on the fence between the two as well. What convinced us to end up going with the Seneca is the interior design of Dynamax's FS equivalent. When the slides are closed, it is difficult for an adult to get to the master bedroom or the bathroom. For us, that was a show-stopper and the bunk bed floor plan is a must for us so we did not consider other floor plans. He didn't sound completely sure, but he was definitely disappointed in Jayco's lack of information. One would think that if they are selling you a 2018 they would be able to tell you exactly what you are getting for your money. Even if it was just a floor change or counter top color change, I would want to know before I put my money down.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #14

Yes, I see your point. However, there are not too many options when it comes this class RV at this price point. Whatever changes to make to my 18 Seneca I will have to like or not get one. I want one so I put my money down. Hopefully it will not have royal purple shag carpet.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #15

I'm a little surprised they are changing the flooring because they went for a long run prior to 17 with the wood-look. Only in 17 did it change to a tile look.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
I'm a little surprised they are changing the flooring because they went for a long run prior to 17 with the wood-look. Only in 17 did it change to a tile look.

Wait, what? I was joking about the shag carpeting.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Wait, what? I was joking about the shag carpeting.

Hahaha. I know. They are really making a flooring change and I was just commenting that I'm surprised that is what they are changing of all things.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #18

What floor change? Heated/cooled marble I'm hoping.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
I want one so I put my money down. Hopefully it will not have royal purple shag carpet.
Ahhhh...shag carpeting ... I remember it well from 1975. Our first apartment had orange shag carpet!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #20

Prob just another color of linoleum. Tile would prob put the gvwr too high. That's what's appealing me to the Dynamax Force HD. It is rated at 56K rather than 33K. It's just a non starter on the TS model because the sofa is too small.