Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

2019 29mv Greyhawk Battery Upgrade..help!

Hello Everyone,
Coach currently has 12v battery with dimensions of 8"highx 7"deepx 9.75" wide...cannot find 6 Volt AGM that will fit. Found VMAX https://www.amazon.com/VMAX-V6-225-2...tronics&sr=1-3 however the height is 11"....which is not a problem as I could cut the box and make it taller if need be....BUT...would rather not go to all that mess if there is another option....has anyone done a 6 volt upgrade on a greyhawk?....I would think battery box ( under entry stairs) would be about same for most Greyhawks.
Thank you in advance for all/any replies....Stay safe everyone!
see ya
dave
DaveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

Dave,
I struggled with the very same issue on our 2019 29MVP also with the in-step storage box. I gave up on doing a 6V solution as I was running into the same height issue. Ended up going with 2 12V VMAX Tank SLR85 batteries. Each is rated at 85AH giving me a total of 170AH- less than what I wanted but learning quickly everything is a series of compromises. Dimensions are 10.2"L, 6.6"W, 8.2"H. Got them at a decent price from bargainshore on ebay with free shipping. Good luck with the search and stay safe!
dergar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #3

I have a 2019 MVP and am trying to come up with a solution also. Some people have made a one inch high frame and raised the step. Another possible solution is to use a 4d AGM battery. Would be tight but might work. I added a second group 24 for now. Another option would be to add a 3rd group 24 mounted on the frame. I still can't believe Jayco designed such a poor battery setup. But, considering all the other issues I have had this doesn't surprise me.
wmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurphy View Post
I still can't believe Jayco designed such a poor battery setup.

At least you got room for two!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #5

I modified my battery box to accept two 6 volt batteries.
It was not that difficult to lower the bottom of the battery box.
I don't have any pictures as the unit is still in winter storage.
If I remember correctly I used some aluminum plate and angle iron to fabricate a new bottom plate. The angle iron allows you to lower the bottom. It only has to come down by about an inch.
Remote camper is offline   Reply With Quote