Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
So, are we overthinking this? Does the genny motor really need to be run during the Winter?

I have no idea.

I do know the previous owner of our Greyhawk didn't do this and I picked up the $750 repair bill for a new carb.

I'm exercising it monthly.
And Stabil goes in the tank.

$8 is less than a new carb, by my math.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Depends on what you're after and how much you can do yourself, along with how much risk you're willing to take.

I like to keep my stuff nice and in good repair. Said alternatively: I don't like to risk my stuff not working right when I want to go use it. I take pride in my "things", and so I treat them well. I've worked hard for what I have, and I want it to last a long time. BUT I do most of the work myself. For now at least, I am still strong enough to do it.

An oil change on my rig costs me only the oil, the filter and the time. And I don't even care much about the time because I enjoy doing it. Stabilizer for my fuel is relatively cheap too. The upside is that I know it's taken care of, and I know it will work as intended when I go to use it. Which is worth FAR more to me than the cost of materials and labor.

I wash my rig a few times each season, I inspect the various components as outlined in the owner's manual, and if service is required, I will either do it or have someone else do it if I deem it necessary.

If I were unable to do these things myself, I don't know that I would necessarily pay someone else to do them as often as may be recommended in the manual, but I might. Depends on what it is and whether it affects or is likely to affect a critical system.

ETA: And you SHOULD replace your trailer tires every 4 years. That's well known, and is just part of the cost of doing business. Again, I would gladly replace my tires every 4 years to avoid being stranded on the side of some highway or put in a dangerous situation. The tires on my MH should last a little longer, but you can bet I'm going to be inspecting them VERY closely at the 4 year mark. And at the first sign of cracking, or degradation they're gone, if they don't age out first.

But then I take tires pretty seriously...

This..well said. I am self employed and my entire family income is derived from my business. Every time I leave town on a short trip I know that if something on my rig fails not only will my trip be ruined, but I risk not getting back home in time to get to the office Monday. If this happens I am taking a huge financial hit. I need to do whatever prevention is necessary to make sure I am safely home on Sunday and back to work on Monday.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I have no idea.

I do know the previous owner of our Greyhawk didn't do this and I picked up the $750 repair bill for a new carb.

I'm exercising it monthly.
And Stabil goes in the tank.

$8 is less than a new carb, by my math.
I wonder if just putting an inline fuel shutoff, and running the carb dry will accomplish the same thing, and not require monthly exercise?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
... and back to work on Monday.
My, my, that sounds so depressing... "work"...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote