Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

2019 Entegra Odyssey - Spare Tire

Good Morning,

I have a 2019 Entegra Odyssey - I live in Southern Cal. The RV did not come with a Motorhome. I was finally able to find and buy spare wheel and tire. However, my challenge is how to carry it. Currently out of no choice - the spare tire is in the storage compartment behind the passenger side in the back. I also flat tow my 2019 Ford Edge and have a bicycle carrier.

I asking for guidance / help / direction - as to where can I find a reasonably priced spare tire carrier. I have done significant research and my only 2 options seems like as follows:

1. Buy the roadmaster tire carrier - which is approx $695 at e trailer.com - it allows for spare tire carrier and flat tow of the vehicle. With this I cannot take my bicycles on the bicycle hitch.

2. I can under mount the tire carrier below the RV - however, I cannot seem to find anybody in so cal who does this and may be very expensive.

Looking for a better and reasonable alternative any suggestions from fellow RVers would be helpful.
rjvdevelopment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

Following. I'm in somewhat the same predicament, but I don't tow. I have a fold up cargo carrier basket in my hitch receiver now and I'm thinking of mounting the spare wheel underneath it. It would have to be custom made. The problem is that with the carrier folded down and the wheel on the bottom, it would scrape on the pavement backing out of my driveway or entering in parking lots or gas stations. My RV is 31". I have a Blue Ox riser, but it's really heavy.

I did see a possible solution if you're towing where this person mounted a custom made mount on top of the hitch extension. Hopefully this would inspire some ideas for you. Or, you could put the spare in the toad vehicle and the bike rack on the hitch receiver on the toad vehicle. Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Possible.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	77946

Name:	Concept.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	77947

Name:	Rear-RV.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	77948

Name:	Basket.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	77949

Name:	Riser.jpg
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	77950
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #3

Thank you. Yes the road-master dually tire carrier is similar to to the custom mount picture that u attached. It’s just that it’s expensive. Also the spare dually tire is heavy so not convenient to load and unload in the toad vehicle all the time. Not to mention I do camping without the toad vehicle as well.

Thanks for sharing about the scrape issue. Will
Pay attention to it.

Looking for something that is functional, convenient and reasonable. Maybe asking for too much.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #4

I saw this video of an unique idea. I have to research more on it.

jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I saw this video of an unique idea. I have to research more on it.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

MaybeI did articulate exactly what I am looking for. I would like to carry a spare tire on the back of my RV or under mount, flat tow the car and carry a hitch mounted bicycle rack. I already have a 2” 10,00 lb, 400 toroque factory installed hitch to my RV. I would like to mount the spare tire separately behind my RV that does not block the existing hitch that I use today to flat tow and or carry the bicycle.