Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #1

2019 Greyhawk 29MV Question

With all of our camping reservations to date having been cancelled due to Covid 19 . . . We are ready to try dry camping, but having just bought our MH last fall and being new to all of this, we are appealing to someone with more experience!! We were told that the inverter would power the bedroom oulets, tvs, and the outlet under the dinette that has the USBs so we could charge our phones, but that one is not showing power - though we thought it had the last time we checked it with a circuit tester. Does anyone with more experience know for sure what outlets do run off the inverter with the 2019 Greyhawk 29MV by chance?
NewRV4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

The easiest way to find out is to make sure you're not plugged into shore power, turn on the inverter, and take a lamp and plug it into each outlet to see which ones are live.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #3

Thanks so much for replying. We actually did that and used a circuit tester too. We haven't been able to get the inverter to work every time we've tested it. Now we're not sure if the outlet under the dinette with USBs is one that "should" work or not. Trying to see if someone might know. Local dealer just started carrying class c's as Covid hit, so no help there. :/
Old 04-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

On my 2016 29MV, the only outlet that worked when the inverter was turned on was the outlet located behind the living room TV. I hope that helps.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #5

All info helps! We're learning! We know the 1000 watt inverter powers the TVs and two bedroom outlets. Just not sure about the one with USBs. Don't want to have to run the generator just to charge our phones. 😉
Old 04-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #6

On our 2016 -- only ONE outlet was powered by our 1000 watt inverter. I'd be willing to bet that there's going to be one outlet in yours too.

1000 watts ain't much these days.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRV4me View Post
We know the 1000 watt inverter powers the TVs and two bedroom outlets. Just not sure about the one with USBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
On our 2016 -- only ONE outlet was powered by our 1000 watt inverter. I'd be willing to bet that there's going to be one outlet in yours too.
It's possible that the OPs inverter powers more than one outlet. I had Jayco send me the wiring diagram on my rig. On the diagram it showed an inverter circuit that powered both TV outlets, two outlets on the bed, and the outlet under the dinette. Unfortunately, Jayco doesn't install inverters on the Redhawks... bummer....

So, it's possible on the 2019 Greyhawks, that Jayco powered more than one outlet from the inverter (who knows how many?). But based on how Jayco changes stuff up, the buyer always needs to play "detective" on their rigs to find what the real situation is...
Old 04-27-2020, 11:52 PM   #8

On my 2016 Greyhawk the outlets by the Front & Rear Bedroom TV's are powered by the inverter.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #9

RetiredOne, thanks for the idea of writing for the wiring diagram. We hadn't thought of that.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
RetiredOne, thanks for the idea of writing for the wiring diagram. We hadn't thought of that.
I think you already got your answer, right, by going around with the circuit tester to see which ones are live?
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Yes and no. We weren't able to get the inverter to come on at all when we first tried a few weeks back, and then it did the next day . . . not sure if we'd done something wrong or not, but at that point we grabbed the circuit tester. Outlets showed power with that and worked when we plugged things in. The outlet under the dinette (with the USBs) came on as well. Then when we went to double-check prior to this post as the thought of dry camping becomes a reality, the inverter didn't power the outlets the first few times we tried, and then it did (back bedroom outlets and both TVs), but not the outlet under the dinette. It had been long enough that we were second guessing ourselves about whether or not that outlet under the dinette worked at all, and wondering what the issue might be with the inverter working inconsistently. . . if it 'should' power the outlet and USBs under the dinette, but it doesn't - then we have better info to source out the issue (short perhaps? - I don't know). Thanks so much for trying to help us out!! We spent last summer renting various MHs to determine if we would like doing it and what size/configuration we might prefer if we did. . . so we're very green on all this . . . but we're willing to learn!!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
CAG

I don't see it mentioned in this thread but keep in mind, running off of the inverter alone is going to draw down one 12 volt battery in short ordered depending upon what is plugged in. You will need to bring the battery back with the generator at some point, and I suggest you run the generator for morning coffee, etc and evening microwave cooking to help bring the batter back.

If it is cold at night and your furnace runs you will be out of battery by morning.

You might do a search here on boon docking, or dry camping and read some of the threads there is more to it than you might think. After years of back country hunting, and camping I can tell you it can get complicated.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #13

Do not use your inverter to charge your phones or other USB powered devices. It would be a total waste of power because you would be converting 12 volts up to 120 volts and then back down to 5 volts.

Instead just get a cigarette power adapter to charge these devices. So much more efficient. I use one to charge all of my devices as needed and it is a high-power charger. I plug mine into the cab's power outlet using an extension cable and then I route it to the upper bed area where I keep the multi-tap charger. Works like a champ! I also have a voltage monitor plugged in up front so I can keep tabs on the chassis battery. If you have a power outlet in back you could just plug into there.

Another imperative when dry camping is a 12 volt voltage monitor. It can be as simple as a cigarette plug-in type or much fancier. I have one that attaches to the battery and will show battery level as well as current being drawn. It is VERY important to keep tabs on your battery level because dropping it too low will damage it in short order. You don't want to go below 12.1 volts, which is approximately 50% battery capacity.

Dry camping is what I do 90% of the time. I have added solar and also carry a small inverter generator to save run time on my big 4k unit. It is used mainly in the evening to power the TV and charge the battery up for overnight. I try not to use the inverter because it pulls the battery down in short order. Inverters are not magic power generators. They consume battery power like it is going out of style.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Volt Monitor.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
. not sure if we'd done something wrong or not, but at that point we grabbed the circuit tester. Outlets showed power with that and worked when we plugged things in. The outlet under the dinette (with the USBs) came on as well.
One thing to keep in mind, not sure what type of inverter that you have. I just installed an inverter in my rig (since it didn't come with one). If I just plug in a circuit tester (digital meter), I might not get a reading, or a low voltage reading. I noticed that the inverter needs a load on the circuit for it to come up to 120v. No load, low or no voltage shows. I tested two different types of inverters, they both acted this way.

So, next time you check, plug a fan or lamp into the circuit, then go around and check with your circuit tester, to see if you have full voltage.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #15

Thanks for the input, CAG. We will definitely be running the generator for coffee in the morning!! That's mandatory!! We have two batteries, but plan to run the generator in the evening too. We realize we're new and have a lot to learn - so want to try things and watch to see what draws it down and how much so we'll learn what we can and can't do and for how long! Your suggestion to do a thread search is good! Does your 2018 have inverter power to the outlet under the dinette?
Old 04-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #16

Wow! All good info, JimD!! Thank you! We 'can' charge our phones with the cigarette lighter type while we are driving but thought we would have to have the chassis in the acc position to do that while not driving. We'll check out what you suggested! The MH has a battery monitor on the control panel but it is the same light up display as for the water tanks. Not really reliable, I'm sure. We'll look up the ones you suggested!! All good advice!!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #17

RetiredOne, we'll do that!! We have a fan out there now as we were wanting to see if the inverter would run one (and which outlets it could plug into) as temps are definitely warming up where we are! We'll plug it in and see if it makes a difference! Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks for the input, CAG. We will definitely be running the generator for coffee in the morning!! That's mandatory!! We have two batteries, but plan to run the generator in the evening too.
Ha... that's the primary reason I put in the inverter, to run the coffee maker in the morning... I also have two batteries, and one thing I tested, because the coffee maker can draw some power, is how to charge the batteries back up. I hate running the generator because of the racket it makes. So, I tested running the normal engine, since it also charges the coach batteries when it runs, when I ran the coffee maker from the inverter. Just letting the engine idle kept the voltage up for the batteries while the coffee maker ran. So, if you want to put some charge back into the batteries, you can also run the engine instead of the generator (which will also give you heat or A/C at the same time).

Quote:
Wow! All good info, JimD!! Thank you! We 'can' charge our phones with the cigarette lighter type while we are driving but thought we would have to have the chassis in the acc position to do that while not driving. We'll check out what you suggested!
The cigarette lighters are hot all the time, it doesn't matter what the key position is. You also might have another cig plug in the glove compartment (my rig does). Here's a USB adaptor to charge your phones, that also has a digital volt meter, so you know the charge level of the chassis battery. This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Jebsens-Charg...s%2C172&sr=8-5
Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Thanks for the input, CAG. We will definitely be running the generator for coffee in the morning!! That's mandatory!! We have two batteries, but plan to run the generator in the evening too. We realize we're new and have a lot to learn - so want to try things and watch to see what draws it down and how much so we'll learn what we can and can't do and for how long! Your suggestion to do a thread search is good! Does your 2018 have inverter power to the outlet under the dinette?
I have yet to use the inverter and without more batteries and solar I probably won’t. We don’t do the boondocking that we used to hence the move from the toy hauler to the Greyhawk.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #20

JimD If I may ask where did you get that cool volt amp monitor? Thank You
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote