Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

2019 Greyhawk Countertop Question

Okay so I'm curious as to what our countertops are actually made out of, laminated particle board? Actual solid surface? I'm asking because we have one of those nugget ice makers (think Sonic Drive-In Ice) and the maker while heavy, is a bit top heavy and so it can't stay on the counter while the coach is moving. However, it's too heavy and bulky to fit in any of the cabinets either so we "buckle" it in at the dining room table which my wife already hates.

All of that is the setup... I'm thinking of putting permanent strap mounts into the countertop so I can use a tie down to hold it in place even when the coach is moving but need to understand what the counter top is actually made out of before I decide how I'm going to do it...

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

Look at the bottom of your sink covers - it'll tell you everything you need to know.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Those countertops are called Thermofoil which is plastic coated medium-density fiberboard. If it was me I would not try to attach straps into the countertop, as we all know fiberboard is not the best for holding screws and may rip loose and trash the top.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Plus, if you screw into the countertop and don't seal the screws properly and water gets into the screw holes, then you'll damage or warp the countertop.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks, given the material I'd never screw into it. I'd drill through and bolt it on with large washers to distribute the surface pressure. Good point on sealing though, I'll add some silicone to the bolt to seal up the hole for water reasons if I decide to go through with it...

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Thanks, given the material I'd never screw into it. I'd drill through and bolt it on with large washers to distribute the surface pressure. Good point on sealing though, I'll add some silicone to the bolt to seal up the hole for water reasons if I decide to go through with it...

Thanks,
Jeff
Yep, that's what I would do if I were going to install some straps. The biggest washers I could find would go on the bottom then silicone with the bolts. Should hold up.