Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

2019 Greyhawk outside storage

It SUCKs !!!
What was Jayco thinking. Lots of little compartments with smaller doors than compartment.
We have no room for 4' table, laundry rack or rug.
Where does everyone put their stuff?
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #2

What model do you have? I have the 30Z with rear slide out bedroom. Huge storage under.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

We have 29MV. Did not want to put stuff under bed but yes we may have too
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

When buying an RV, the first thing I look at is storage and capacities. Our 31DS has the HUGE cargo bay in the back that I can be tempted to overload. The smaller side bays are not condusive with bulk, but I walk through my mental of list of what I have to store and evaluate accordingly.

The inside of the coach is my wife's domain and she makes that evaluation. Such things as "is it useable with the slides in" and "does it feel open" are considerations for her.

I am not familiar with your model, but unlike an A class where many models have huge pass through storage, a C is more limited due to location of the frame to the coach body. That is why I was so impressed with the 31DS (and others with the big back storage). I remember crawling inside thinking I could probably store a small dirt bike in there. Or....maybe that is where the grandkids get to sleep after they ate chili-dogs....
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

You just discovered one of the biggest draw backs to a class C over a class A. My wife and I went from a DP to a class A gasser. One of my biggest concerns was the storage. When we moved everything over from the old coach to the new one, we ended up tossing about 1/2 the stuff we were carrying. We've gotten used to it now and is not a big deal. I'm not sure why your are hesitant to use your under bed storage?? That is were we storage our fold out tables, camping chairs, BBQ, aircompressor, etc. The only other option you may consider is storing some stuff inside your shower.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #6

It's just a pain to carry inside out 29MV but it looks like that's the only option, currently we have very little in storage bays compared to what we had in our TT
Old 02-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

on your 30z..have you reinforced the middle of the storage. My 2021 have no bracing in the middle..just on the sides
basicinstinct911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #8

Patches we have a 2018 29MVP which I think is the exact same set up as yours. I agree that storage isn't great compared to other models.

We ditched the bigger 4' rectangle table and got a smaller square table. It's about 2 1/2'. We keep it in the back right compartment. We also have our outdoor rug in that compartment.

We have a smaller rectangle table that we take every so often, a solar suitcase and a small table for cooking that we have to keep between the bed and back wall. Not the best spot but it stores away nice while we travel and easy enough to get out.

If you come up with some creative ideas, make sure you share. We'd all love to hear them.

Rob
Old 02-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #9

Available storage is the main reason we opted for the 31DS floorplan when we were shopping for our 2018 class C. Tons of storage space with very large access doors. Not much we cannot fit in there. Like others have said, storage was one of the first things we looked at when shopping and many class C units are lacking in this area, but not all.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

We down sized to that model from the class A. Yes it is way less than the A but compared to TT storage it is way better. 5th wheels have more but not interested in going back that way. I put wood platform across half of back two storage areas which help in organizing area. Like already stated we down sized the folding table size but other than that we are pretty happy with everything we are able to take along. Our trips are from one to three months long and so far no real issues. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesrv View Post
It SUCKs !!!
...Where does everyone put their stuff?
In your TOAD perhaps?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #12

It does suck. My Greyhawk 29MVP storage is pathetic.

For extra outside storage I use an aluminum 2" hitch mount cargo Tray 60" x 22" ($150ish) with a Reese Explore 63604 Rainproof Cargo Tray Bag 59" x 18.5" x 24" ($70ish). The bag is "mostly" waterproof and it keeps all the road dirt off anything inside. Sometimes I strap a ladder and lawn chairs to top of bag.

Cargo trays are also good for hauling grimy things like charcoal, firewood, grills, smoker, fuel, etc. Mine is rated for something like 500lbs but I don't go near that - 150lbs to 200lbs max.

The tray will scrape the asphalt in parking lots/gas stations with steep inclines so I use a GEN-Y 10" drop hitch ($200ish) mounted upside down so the tray rides higher for extra clearance. The drop hitch might be overkill but I already owned one so I use it.

Do you flat tow? SUVs have a lot of storage its like towing a trailer. When I flat tow I put the cargo tray on the back of the SUV for extra storage.

I've towed a U-Haul single axle enclosed trailer and it towed so easily I forgot it was back there at times. It was cumbersome to back-up/park but the storage was awesome - like towing a walk-in closet.

I've found investing in smaller and lighter stuff is necessary. For a table I use a Lifetime 4ft fold-in-half table ($40ish) that folds down to 24" x 24" x 4".

Lastly, hauling less stuff is the cheapest way to go. When in doubt I leave it home. My wife HATES this approach. Maybe next trip I'll try leaving her home too.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:19 PM   #13

We have a huge amount of storage in our 2020 30Z. The back area is open all the way across with 3 access doors. It’s one of the better designs for storage.
JohnnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #14

I have a 2019 30X. I loved the interior layout so much that I didnt give the outside compartments a good enough look. Not real happy with outside compartments but I have lotta space in compartments inside I will learn to utilize to than free up some outside space. My interior comfort overtook my exterior. Was a brand like new 2019 couldnt pass up on the savings. And like the other mentioned use tow hitch storage or Toad space.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGator View Post
It does suck. My Greyhawk 29MVP storage is pathetic.

For extra outside storage I use an aluminum 2" hitch mount cargo Tray 60" x 22" ($150ish) with a Reese Explore 63604 Rainproof Cargo Tray Bag 59" x 18.5" x 24" ($70ish). The bag is "mostly" waterproof and it keeps all the road dirt off anything inside. Sometimes I strap a ladder and lawn chairs to top of bag.

Cargo trays are also good for hauling grimy things like charcoal, firewood, grills, smoker, fuel, etc. Mine is rated for something like 500lbs but I don't go near that - 150lbs to 200lbs max.

The tray will scrape the asphalt in parking lots/gas stations with steep inclines so I use a GEN-Y 10" drop hitch ($200ish) mounted upside down so the tray rides higher for extra clearance. The drop hitch might be overkill but I already owned one so I use it.

Do you flat tow? SUVs have a lot of storage its like towing a trailer. When I flat tow I put the cargo tray on the back of the SUV for extra storage.

I've towed a U-Haul single axle enclosed trailer and it towed so easily I forgot it was back there at times. It was cumbersome to back-up/park but the storage was awesome - like towing a walk-in closet.

I've found investing in smaller and lighter stuff is necessary. For a table I use a Lifetime 4ft fold-in-half table ($40ish) that folds down to 24" x 24" x 4".

Lastly, hauling less stuff is the cheapest way to go. When in doubt I leave it home. My wife HATES this approach. Maybe next trip I'll try leaving her home too.

I also use a hitch mounted rack on the back of my Greyhawk 29 MVP. I put all of my chairs in a cargo bag and strap firewood and/or a cooler next to the bag. Works really well and frees up my compartment for smaller or more valuable stuff.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab
2004 Sunnybrook 2709 TT (Sold)
BigDaddy6290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #16

2020 30Z Rear Storage Compartment Bracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicinstinct911 View Post
on your 30z..have you reinforced the middle of the storage. My 2021 have no bracing in the middle..just on the sides
I welded three pieces of 1 1/2 angle iron under the rear compartment. No sag at all now.
ArmyW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #17

In my 2018 Greyhawk 31fs we use the shower and the bunk beds for storage. It’s amazing how much you can put on the bunk beds ..We also use bed above drivers seat….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #18

Forum members, please accept my apology for going a little off the thread with the following question. Originally, my question was going to be the size of lug nuts on a 2021 Greyhawk 29MV until my manly curiosity got the best of me and I removed the right front hubcap and checked myself. Done, success, what can go wrong now? Now the obvious arises.... as does my frustration. Any suggestions on how to get the d@#% hubcap back on? A Thank you in advance is conveyed and appreciated.

P.S. This Greyhawk is on an E-450 chassis
DriverNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverNewt View Post
Any suggestions on how to get the d@#% hubcap back on? A Thank you in advance is conveyed and appreciated.

P.S. This Greyhawk is on an E-450 chassis

Don't feel bad. I went thru the same thing. Pulled all four off and almost had a breakdown trying to get the fronts on. Finally what I think did it for me:
- WD40 on the little spring "hooks", the parts that dig into the wheel.
- line it up carefully, make sure the valve stem is in the opening.
- get a BFM (big, f&%^&king mallet)
- tappity tap tap around and around
- then up the tappity tap taps, more force

When it looks like it's all set in there, start really whacking, go around.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #20

In the rearmost passenger side compartment of my 29MV, I currently have:
One of those fold-in-half white plastic picnic tables, four bag chairs, one very large fold-up patio rug, three 5-gallon blue plastic water jugs (empty), and a few small items. Yes, the storage capacity could be larger, but we are making it work.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote