Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

2019 Greyhawk owners and winterizing

Well it’s that time of year again and we are trying to figure out how to winterize, and we find nothing for 2019 Greyhawk. We do have instructions on earlier model but they are tankless. Personally we think the pump needs priming but have been unsuccessful at it.
Drain and leave out water heater plug
Step
1 Switch the valve in city line around
2 attach hose to city line into antifreeze
3 switch gages to winterize settings 2/4
4 switch valves under the bathroom sink to closed
5 open cold water tapes
6 turn on pump

7 nothing happens and we have been trying for 2 hours.

What are we missing

Thanks
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #2

A couple quick thoughts...Did you bypass the hot water heater? When you closed the valves under the bathroom sink by the water filter, that may have closed the intake for the antifreeze. You should first remove the whole-house water filter, put the canister back on, then open the valves under the sink. Make sure the hose that you have in the antifreeze is not sucking air. Make sure the valves on the outside shower are closed.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #3

Drain the hot water heater, but make sure the three valves are all turned so the heater tank is bypassed. You don't need 6 gallons of antifreeze in the HWH tank. I close all the faucets, turn on the pump, then open the furthest faucet which is the kitchen sink. Don't forget the toilet! Did you blow the lines out first with compressed air?

Old 10-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

Also reverse the inlet so the cone is pointing in. there is a spring loaded valve and it will make using the pump work easier to suck in the rv antifreeze. Manual states it should only use 1 gal but I run two.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesrv View Post
Well it’s that time of year again and we are trying to figure out how to winterize, and we find nothing for 2019 Greyhawk. We do have instructions on earlier model but they are tankless. Personally we think the pump needs priming but have been unsuccessful at it.
Drain and leave out water heater plug
Step
1 Switch the valve in city line around
2 attach hose to city line into antifreeze
3 switch gages to winterize settings 2/4
4 switch valves under the bathroom sink to closed
5 open cold water tapes
6 turn on pump

7 nothing happens and we have been trying for 2 hours.

What are we missing

Thanks

I believe you want the Country fill setting not the city fill on your valves so it will set up a vacuum to suck the anti freeze from the jug. Secondly you have to flip the screen on intake so it will open the check valve. City fill bypasses the pump
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #6

I have no idea how close our 2016 is to yours but here's a PDF file I created to help my wife winterize our Greyhawk

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpty2ayry...izing.pdf?dl=0
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I have no idea how close our 2016 is to yours but here's a PDF file I created to help my wife winterize our Greyhawk

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpty2ayry...izing.pdf?dl=0

This is perfect !!!!! Thank you !
DenMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
here's a PDF file I created to help my wife winterize our Greyhawk
Wait... what... did I just read your WIFE winterizes your rig???

Really?

Wow, she's a keeper... I have a hard enough time getting mine just to make me a sandwich...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
winterize our Greyhawk
Great document, BTW...

Quick question, do you force any antifreeze into the black tank flush line? Wondering if there is any freeze possibility with water trapped in that line too?

How about in the black/grey tanks to keep some liquid on the lower drain seals?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 AM   #10

Just re reading this post.

Why would you switch valves under the sink to closed?

are you referring tot he valves on the left and right of the filter? that is so you can remove the filter I would do that and then re-install the filter housing and then turn the valves back on

The filter is on the fill line before the pump
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #11

For those of us who don't live in climates that freeze in the winter, do I really need to winterize with antifreeze? Or can I just leave the water in it for the winter to keep the seals wet and simply do a full system sanitize in the spring?

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
For those of us who don't live in climates that freeze in the winter, do I really need to winterize with antifreeze? Or can I just leave the water in it for the winter to keep the seals wet and simply do a full system sanitize in the spring?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

For peace of mind, I would AT LEAST use compressed air and blow the entire water system including faucets, toilet, outside shower, etc. That should clear the water from the lines. Empty the hot water heater and remove the whole-house water filter. When we use the antifreeze, I make sure there is some in both the black and gray tanks, in all the lines, and all the p-traps. Our MH is in Hilton Head all winter, where we seldom but can get freezing temps, so for less than $10 in antifreeze, it's good insurance and I sleep better at night. Yes, if we decide to go somewhere with the MH, I have to drain all the antifreeze, but one broken pipe or frozen faucet would be 10 times the cost of the antifreeze, so I winterize.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Great document, BTW...

Quick question, do you force any antifreeze into the black tank flush line? Wondering if there is any freeze possibility with water trapped in that line too?

How about in the black/grey tanks to keep some liquid on the lower drain seals?
Wow I have been going through this process in my mind as it is different than my old trailer. I never thought about the black tank flush. How would one force water through that line without the aid of the water pump anyway? Also does using the winterize valve setting mean no antifreeze is going into the fresh demand tank? That was how I used to have to winterize and I am ok with not pumping pink into that tank, but how do you know if there may be water trapped in the lines immediately from the tank?
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #14

Try this quick video
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
W Also does using the winterize valve setting mean no antifreeze is going into the fresh demand tank? That was how I used to have to winterize and I am ok with not pumping pink into that tank, but how do you know if there may be water trapped in the lines immediately from the tank?
You know, that's a great point too. On our rigs, the water tank is under the dinette, but the water pump is in the rear wardrobe cab. That means that there could be water sitting in the line from the water tank to the pump. This line would NOT get the normal winterize antifreeze process when pumping in antifreeze....

So, what to do for it? Is it pitched to allow water to drain back to the tank, I have no idea? Should we pump a gallon or two of antifreeze into the water tank, then cycle the pump to get antifreeze in that line?

Ahhh, the joys of RVing....
Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
You know, that's a great point too. On our rigs, the water tank is under the dinette, but the water pump is in the rear wardrobe cab. That means that there could be water sitting in the line from the water tank to the pump. This line would NOT get the normal winterize antifreeze process when pumping in antifreeze....

So, what to do for it? Is it pitched to allow water to drain back to the tank, I have no idea? Should we pump a gallon or two of antifreeze into the water tank, then cycle the pump to get antifreeze in that line?

Ahhh, the joys of RVing....
Not only the line from the demand tank but also the fill line to the tank after the valves. So if one country fills some pink into the demand tank and then pumps it out that would work but how do you get all of the antifreeze flushed from the tank? Thant stupid tank drain being located on the opposite side of the petcock does not allow for the tank to completely drain by gravity, at least not on mine.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Not only the line from the demand tank but also the fill line to the tank after the valves. So if one country fills some pink into the demand tank and then pumps it out that would work but how do you get all of the antifreeze flushed from the tank? Thant stupid tank drain being located on the opposite side of the petcock does not allow for the tank to completely drain by gravity, at least not on mine.
Man, we think alike.... I was wondering that last night, is there actually TWO water lines, one feeding the water tank from the fill connection, and one return line to the pump? (now, I'll need to slide back under there to confirm).

If there are two, I don't see any other way but to pump some antifreeze into the water tank and let it pump back into the system.

Maybe to get it all drained out in the Spring is to fill the water tank, then jack up the right side of the rig, getting it leaning towards the drain. I think if you really dilute the antifreeze by flushing the water tank well, it won't cause any drinking issues...

Hell, we drink a lot worse alcohol on a regular basis than that...
Old 10-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #18

Winterizing Jayco greyhawk

I made the same mistake you did! You have to take the inlet cone screen for the city water inlet and turn it around and put it back in first. The pump will not suck unless you do this! Good luck . This one got me too.....

RV King
Rv king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #19

Low point valves.

I blew out all my lines, including hw tank, toilet, sinks and external shower. Oh, i have a 2010 greyhawk 31fk. I cannot find any low point valves other than the external one for fresh water tank. Ive looked under sinks, cabinets, under bed. Does anyone know where they may be.? Appreciate any help.
wfo1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #20

Black tank flush line

You can get a hand pump for $10-15 and pump antifreeze into the black tank flush line. Water can get caught in it.
Rvorbust is offline   Reply With Quote