Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #21

You bet, will do.

You might find this useful- my wife wanted measurements for the RV. Here they are for the 22J. If they don't make sense, let me know and I'll explain. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv measurements.pdf (143.1 KB, 48 views)
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #22

tire pressure

80psi in rear 75 psi in front per sticker on door frame. Tough ride bringing it home from dealer. Steering a little loose, tends to wander
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
80psi in rear 75 psi in front per sticker on door frame. Tough ride bringing it home from dealer. Steering a little loose, tends to wander
Time for front end alignment on Jayco's dime?
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #24

I wouldn’t say it’s the alignment- it’s just the nature of the beast. It’s a horribly non aerodynamic box. Take a look at a steering stabilizer- safe-t-plus,, roadmaster, or Bilstein. It’s a pretty simple bolt in install or you can get it done at an RV place or large truck repair shop. Jayco should really make it part of JRide.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #25

Quote:
What speed were you driving? Try slowing down to 60-65mph. Short wheel based motorhomes don't handle as well as longer ones...nature of the beast.

Also weight helps. Once you load it up it will settle down some. If you have a short Redhawk and it's on the same chassis as my longer Greyhawk mine will always be smoother and handle better.

Remember, the steering is not like your car or modern pickup truck...it's gear driven old school and takes a little to get use to if you never driven one.

Don't over steer it...try to make slow steering corrections and jut let the little back and forth movement happen with very little input from the steering wheel.

Before I would spend a bunch of money I would drive it on a couple of trips fully loaded with air pressure set correctly and give yourself time to get use to driving it. It will get better.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #26

Before you taken your new RV off the premises, PLEASE check out the slide mechanism! I bought my 2018 Jayco Melbourne Prestige 24LP this past Aug 28th. The slide is the length of the RV and runs on the Schwintec system by Lippet. I have tried to go on 2 trips since I bought this brand new RV and BOTH times the slide has failed!! The first time was on Oct 1st, when the slide wouldn’t come in. It took almost a month to get the part from Jayco. The 2nd trip was Oct 30th right after the repair had been made. I was in rural east Texas in a field getting ready to leave a music festival and again, the slide failed. I spent a couple of days out there, stranded, because the slide was broken again. Jayco’s Coachnet service was useless. They said they couldn’t tow the RV because the slide was out, and the Jayco dealer they referred me to couldn’t even look at the RV for 3 months! The only reason I was able to get the RV home was because I found a fabulous RV mobile repairman who came & worked on the RV for 2 days. We finally were able to get the slide in by removing parts and manually pushing the slide in with the pushing being done by 6 adults. All of this is to say, be very, very wary of the Schwintec system in your slide. Winnebago stopped using the Schwintec system because of all the problems with it. I’m driving the RV to Indiana to have the factory work on it. Also, if you have the Schwintec system, I was told that to try to avoid it getting out of “time”, HOLD THE BUTTON WHEN RETRACTING OR EXTENDING THE SLIDE FOR 3 to 5 SECONDS AFTER THE SLIDE IS IN PLACE TO HELP MAINTAIN PROPER “TIMING”!!! This is very important according to the 3 RV repair guys who have worked on the slide in my RV! Good luck!
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #27

Thanks, that is exactly what the demo. Person told us to do to keep slide mechanism in sink. He said it is very important to do each time slide is operated.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #28

If they didn't show you where it is, it is under the bottom drawer in the wardrobe in the bedroom.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
I wouldn’t say it’s the alignment- it’s just the nature of the beast. It’s a horribly non aerodynamic box. Take a look at a steering stabilizer- safe-t-plus,, roadmaster, or Bilstein. It’s a pretty simple bolt in install or you can get it done at an RV place or large truck repair shop. Jayco should really make it part of JRide.
In agreement for the most part. A steering stabilizer from the factory would be a great addition and is on my list of what to add when the day finally comes when we pull the trigger for a new Class C.

I have seen several post though where owners of new Coaches had similar complaints and reported a good improvement after a front end alignment is done.

Agreed on a new owner driving a new Coach there are other factors involved: wind, trucks passing, road surface etc. If the Coach continues being hard to handle though I would go for the alignment.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #30

Ours drives great and no alignment was needed. Be careful adding gizmos to the steering...could put undue strain on components and effect warranty.

I know of one Ford mechanic that laughed at the sight of those steering spring things. He said waste of money. If Ford thought it was needed or would help then it would be a factory add. They want customers happy with the driving experience. Same for Jayco. Why did they spend all that money on the JRide and leave this off? Because it doesn't work.

One of his customers who had a class c put it on anyway. The customer thought it helped. Ford guy said come back in a few months and lets talk. He did and admitted after driving it some it really didn't do anything like he originally thought. Had it removed.

So alignment and tire pressure. Save your money on those steering gizmos for gas to go camping.

I know there are guys on here who have bought these things and swear by them. Why wouldn't they after they spent several hundred dollars? Justification.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Ours drives great and no alignment was needed. Be careful adding gizmos to the steering...could put undue strain on components and effect warranty.

I know of one Ford mechanic that laughed at the sight of those steering spring things. He said waste of money. If Ford thought it was needed or would help then it would be a factory add. They want customers happy with the driving experience. Same for Jayco. Why did they spend all that money on the JRide and leave this off? Because it doesn't work.

One of his customers who had a class c put it on anyway. The customer thought it helped. Ford guy said come back in a few months and lets talk. He did and admitted after driving it some it really didn't do anything like he originally thought. Had it removed.

So alignment and tire pressure. Save your money on those steering gizmos for gas to go camping.

I know there are guys on here who have bought these things and swear by them. Why wouldn't they after they spent several hundred dollars? Justification.
Point well taken cabinetmaker. More money for solar and satellite TV

I guess a lot of people have never driven a larger truck before and don't realize they just handle and feel different from their Ford F-150 or the family SUV. All a matter of getting use to the difference.
I'll never forget the week many, many years ago the trucking company I was driving for brought my regular road tractor in for maintenance and repairs. Dispatcher put me in a unit with out power steering
You can guess what list of mine I put him on
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #32

thanks. our 2 hr demo at ALBANY RV. was very detail complete
Old 11-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #33

Quote:
You have too little +caster for highway speeds.

Be careful of the alignment you ask for, a normal E Series alignment will consist of a "tweak the toe and you are good to go".

What you really need is NAPA 158986 caster bushings installed AND the positive caster as high as you can get it with the 8986s.

Typically that works out to be at least RH +5.6 and LH +5.4 degrees with a nose down attitude of 1.0 degree.

Ford ships these E350/E450 Cutaways off the assembly line
with +3 to +4 degrees of Caster. Those settings are
OK for city driving BUT you want to have +5 to +6 degrees
of Caster for highway driving, OTHERWISE:

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #34

Ford E450 Caster

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

Wandering at highway speeds

Reply Post by 2kGeorgieBoy
Re: Wandering at highway speeds
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:02 PM

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #35

Interesting fact, over 65% of Harvard's posts contain the word caster in them!
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #36

Thanks, i plan to do alignment soon. It is in driveway for the winter. Will drive it every 4 wks keep tire from getting flat spots...will let you know about alignment results..
Old 11-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
Interesting fact, over 65% of Harvard's posts contain the word caster in them!
I get paid a commission on every degree of caster I sell.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #38

Hello we are picking up our first RV ever up in Albany in 2 weeks a Jayco Melbourne Were you happy with Albany RvOne?
We are hoping to have a good experience with the Demo
Metsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #39

I didn’t get from that RV One, I got from the one in Orlando. I didn’t have any issues.

Here is my tip for you. Keep in mind that I was also a first time buyer. Get the manual. You need your VIN to get it. If you don’t, open a ticket with Jayco and explain you are getting a new one and don’t have a ViN.

Next print that out. And then for the next two weeks, study it. Read it again and again. Get a highlighter- if you have a question, mark it down. In the places where it says “if equipped” be prepared to ask what your specific model has.

There are some questions that come up all of the time on forums. Like where is the water filter? What do I do when the slides won’t come in? How do I make cable work?

Have them do their walk though. And then open your manual and make sure every question is answered. Test every system. Make sure that AC works.

I highly recommend two people. One to ask questions, one to take notes. A lot of people film it, but it’s going to be hours of video. Much better is you being prepared and knowing a lot about the RV.

I am very happy for you- these RV’s are so much fun. Enjoy it!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #40

We purchased our 2019 jayco class c 22j from albany rv. Paul does a great 2 hr demo however battery water low, tire pressure not checked, left front wheel cover misaligned so it covered/bent valve stem, access panel to inside water heater left on floor, so i brought a creeper to inspect under carriage looked good ans sealed. Bring multimeter. Make sure you bring balance owed when you pickup unit..would never use their service dept.