Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv floor construction

We have the above Jayco and I have asked ways how to keep it warm when traveling from Toronto to Florida in winter at night in Walmart. Propane Heater circulates on and off every 5 minutes draining battery so useless. Can’t run geny all night as it exhausts below cab bed (which is freezing)and as this unit is NOT insulated for cold sure not for fumes. Started thinking of heated carpet which got me wondering how is the floor constructed because this is the coldest park of the motorhome. Knowledge, ideas?? Thanks
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #2

The propane furnace can ad a lot of heat and keeps us comfortable when in colder weather. To be able to run ours all night, without using the generator, we added a second battery to the rig. Cost us around $125 for cable’s and extra battery. There is room in the battery box and it is easy to do. This will get you through one night only without needing generator. After that batteries will need to be charged. On generator this requires about two hours. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

Have you had the battery checked? Not unusual for a new or fairly new battery to be defective and not hold a charge. Also have you looked into a Gen-Turi system, they go together pretty easy.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-g...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #4

Another Disney Lover: we are upgrading our batteries this year once things settle down as we feel the original battery is garbage but it will still come on and off every 5 minutes. Have considered the exhaust extender but there is not a lot of storage in our Greyhawk. Thanks
Old 03-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
CAG

You may have to consider staying in RV parks where you have hookups rather than locations where you have to depend on one 12 volt battery. I found early on that one 12 volt will not last long when the temps get that low and the furnace is cycling.

Unfortunately if yours is like mine the Greyhawk 29MVP does not have enough room for additional batteries without modifying a storage space next to the battery space and add more batteries.

In some early research with a genny on the toy hauler, I recall a warning from Onan or one of them that the extenders add back pressure so you might want to research that before going that route.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

2019’s started to put the batteries under the inside steps to the coach - they did away w/ the outside door and drawer slide that they used to use.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
CAG

That is good, if they added more room. Add more batteries.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #8

Jayco says 2 batteries will fit in step compartment we will find out
Old 03-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesrv View Post
Jayco says 2 batteries will fit in step compartment we will find out
They do. That’s where we put ours. Just keep same battery group of current battery and it is a tight fit but they do go in.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
CAG

When you measure check to see if 2 6 volt will fit. That would be the best way to go with room for just 2.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Getting back to the original OP. You just have to get use to the fact that these rigs, for the most part, aren't built for cold weather. Most are fair weather rigs. The thin wall and floor insulation, uninsulated roof vents, single pane windows, etc. All don't lead to a warm envelope like a conventional house.

You'll need to get use to the fact that you'll need to run your propane furnace in cold weather, so you'll need a really good battery bank, or go to hookups in campgrounds, and run a electric heater... It's the nature of the beast.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
CAG

Quote:
You'll need to get use to the fact that you'll need to run your propane furnace in cold weather, so you'll need a really good battery bank, or go to hookups in campgrounds, and run a electric heater... It's the nature of the beast.
I think that is what several of us covered with the suggestions for more batteries to prolong the furnace overnight.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think that is what several of us covered with the suggestions for more batteries to prolong the furnace overnight.
I was referencing the floor insulation and heated carpet question the OP first asked about, but thanks for your concern.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #14

This may help in keeping it warm and cut down on heater coming on as much. Worked for us, anyway. Works even better in hot weather.
Vent pillows reduce heat loss through ceiling, and hot air rises. Those sold at Amazon and CW run $10 to $20 or so.
Rolled insulation at CW is expensive, not so much at Lowes or Home Depot. I put it over our windows- really helps with the large dining window. Cut to fit. Roll back up and store when not in use.
Make sure weather strip is good on outside storage doors... lots of air there.
If you can stand the extra weight, rubber backed commercial carpet, pads, or mats is a warm touch. Just be sure and not cover furnace registers or interfere with slide.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/1014123

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+vent+i...nb_sb_ss_i_3_8
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #15

check out vent less blue flame propane heaters. under $150.00 and easy to install. many different manufacturers. avenger, procom, mr. heater and others. if your trailer has an auxiliary gas line you can run a hose from there through the floor to the heater. it takes no power just propane. i have had one in one of my rentals for 10 years with no issues.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote