Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

2019 Melbourne Inverter

Looking to add a 2KW PSW inverter and update batteries to 2 6V. On this coach, it's not clear where I can locate the inverter close to the batteries, maybe under the floor of the sink cabinet. Anyone have experience with this or suggestion?
Woodworker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I added one in my rig, and that's where I mounted in, on the back wall of the sink cabinet, so it was a short run to my batteries in the stairs. I also cut in and installed another outlet in the side of the sink cabinet, and wired it to the inverter, to make it easy to plug in the coffee maker.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #3

Congratulations on your first post. I normally say welcome but you have been here awhile. I’m not sure about the floor plan of 24L but on a 24K about the only place to put 2 6v batteries is to fab a new battery tray in the same location or in the pass through storage. I think another member here installed them in the pass through storage which I assume yours has. When I first got mine I thought about making a new battery tray for 2 6v batteries but after camping for 6 months I figured our style of camping more amp hrs weren’t a big priority. The plan got canned. Wherever you put the inverter you want to make sure there is plenty of ventilation.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I added one in my rig, and that's where I mounted in, on the back wall of the sink cabinet, so it was a short run to my batteries in the stairs. I also cut in and installed another outlet in the side of the sink cabinet, and wired it to the inverter, to make it easy to plug in the coffee maker.
Retired one

Thanks for the response. Good suggestion for inside the cabinet. Under the stairs did you fit 2 12v or 2 6v batteries?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker65 View Post
Retired one

Thanks for the response. Good suggestion for inside the cabinet. Under the stairs did you fit 2 12v or 2 6v batteries?
2 - Group 24 deep cycle under the stairs.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

Thanks pfflyer. The 24l has a full length slide with no pass through storage. In fact, 24l outside storage is really limited. The only solution to gain space (height) for 6v batteries seems to be a modified battery rack under the steps. Not sure I want to go there.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker65 View Post
Thanks pfflyer. The 24l has a full length slide with no pass through storage. In fact, 24l outside storage is really limited. The only solution to gain space (height) for 6v batteries seems to be a modified battery rack under the steps. Not sure I want to go there.
My rig has the same layout as your rig. I also wish there was one large storage bin or a pass-thru. I also didn't want to go through the battery rack modification to get the 6 volt batteries in there. So, with two new 24DC batteries in there, and I added a 12 volt voltmeter to track their voltage, I feel I can get through with not having the 6 volt. We don't long term boondock.

Also, knowing I can get some charge into those batteries by running the genny, plugging into shore power, or running the rig's engine, this can do a top off as needed. I'm also thinking of putting a solar panel up top to help, too...