Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

2019 Redhawk 24B trik-l-start installation issues.

Full disclosure, I am the furthest thing from an electrician so I probably had no business attempting to hook this thing up myself. I wanted the slick installation using the battery solenoid isolator rather than directly to the posts requiring long runs and inline fuses. I wired the yellow to the left and blue to the right side of the isolator immediately to the left of the house batteries. After installation I hooked all negative terminals back together and I got the blinking green light but found that I could no longer kill the house batteries with the switch on the coach. Furthermore disconnecting the chassis negative did not affect the connection to the trik-l-start, it continued to blink green and should not have. So I assume that I have wired to the wrong solenoid and is not getting to the chassis battery. Any help would be appreciated as I would rather not run to the battery posts if I can help it.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Calling Camper Bob, you're needed at the courtesy desk...

I believe he recently installed one in his rig, hopefully he shows up.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Also wondering, you having problems with your chassis battery not holding charge? I check mine, and it is staying above 12.6 volts, even after a month or two of sitting.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #4

I have not but I am attempting to be proactive this winter. My rig sits 4-5 months in the winter so I would like to be able to plug in overnight periodically to charge the chassis as well as the house batteries.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #5

If you wired it to the solenoid "immediately to the left of the house battery", you wired it to the battery disconnect solenoid. That is not the correct solenoid for your trik l start.

If that's the case, remove it. Under the hood, mounted on the firewall pinch weld, just above the engine, you will see the solenoid you are looking for.

It has one large black wire going to the fuse box over by the left fender. Connect your "chassis battery" wire to the solenoid with that wire.

The other terminal on the solenoid has a large black wire that disappears into a wiring harness that runs back toward the "house". Connect the trik l start house battery wire to the terminal with that wire.

Connect the ground to any convenient ground point.

I just did this installation on mine. Made up an aluminum bracket to mount the trck l start on the firewall. Sorry, I can't access photos to post with the device I'm using.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

Thats what I figured. Thank you for the confirmation and steering me in the right direction. Is it necessary to build a bracket? Any tips on where or where not to locate the unit due to heat or other issues??
Old 08-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

drmike961, A bracket is not necessary. I tend to be a little OCD about such things. Looks like a good alternative might be some heavy duty self adhesive velcro attached to the top of the fuse box. That should get it away from a lot of the engine heat and isolate it from most vibration.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
If you wired it to the solenoid "immediately to the left of the house battery", you wired it to the battery disconnect solenoid. That is not the correct solenoid for your trik l start.

If that's the case, remove it. Under the hood, mounted on the firewall pinch weld, just above the engine, you will see the solenoid you are looking for.

It has one large black wire going to the fuse box over by the left fender. Connect your "chassis battery" wire to the solenoid with that wire.

The other terminal on the solenoid has a large black wire that disappears into a wiring harness that runs back toward the "house". Connect the trik l start house battery wire to the terminal with that wire.

Connect the ground to any convenient ground point.

I just did this installation on mine. Made up an aluminum bracket to mount the trck l start on the firewall. Sorry, I can't access photos to post with the device I'm using.
Yup, you're wired to the wrong solenoid.

I did my install the same as Mike here.

Post #161 here with pictures:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-57205-17.html

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

OK, question for you guys who installed the Trik-L-Start. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do for the Winter with my batteries, and this is one option.

Edit: Nevermind, I deleted the rest of my post, I found the answers I was looking for.