Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

2019 Seneca Radio / GPS

How is the radio reception with that new antenna on the Seneca? Is the GPS any good? How is the rear view camera. Just curious. The radio on my 2015 Seneca is worthless.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #2

It seems like all 2019 Jayco class C's have the same radio- the Soundstream Infotainment Dash Radio. It's not horrible, but it isn't great, either. You have to fix it right out of delivery, if your dealer hasn't, with a quick firmware fix. It fixes an issue where multiple characters get inputted as you type. It could really be brighter, or at a better angle, as it's difficult to see in the sun. There is no 'knob' to control the volume- people really hate that. It doesn't bother me- I am use to it with my car. You tap the power button to mute it and you tap and hold the volume to turn it up or down. If you are a person who must have a physical button, use the remote. It's really more designed toward android versus apple, so don't expect to hook an iphone directly to it with a cord and expect it to do great. I use it with bluetooth with an iphone and it works well. As far as the GPS itself, it's fair. I know where I am going 95% of the time, so I still put in an address to see how it routes. Remember, it is not a RV specific unit, so it will give you back roads and u turns. As far as radio stations, it works pretty well. I've listened to the Jacksonville Jaguars lose on multiple trips and it performed as well as my car stereo. I really like the aux function when we are watching tv- it will play over the speakers, giving a surround sound feel. There is an issue with ground noise in the mode but by balancing the volume on the unit and the tv, I can get it to a manageable level. The rear view on the camera, at least in my Redhawk 22J, it close to straight down. So you get about 6 feet of view. It's perfect for backing in as long as you did a walk beforehand.

In short, to wrap this up- if you want to hate it, you will. If you want to like it, same. I pretty much thought I would have to rip it out instantly and replace it. I am a bit of a technophile, so I gave it a chance. Like I said- it is very middle of the road, but I can deal with it.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
It seems like all 2019 Jayco class C's have the same radio- the Soundstream Infotainment Dash Radio. It's not horrible, but it isn't great, either. You have to fix it right out of delivery, if your dealer hasn't, with a quick firmware fix. It fixes an issue where multiple characters get inputted as you type. It could really be brighter, or at a better angle, as it's difficult to see in the sun. There is no 'knob' to control the volume- people really hate that. It doesn't bother me- I am use to it with my car. You tap the power button to mute it and you tap and hold the volume to turn it up or down. If you are a person who must have a physical button, use the remote. It's really more designed toward android versus apple, so don't expect to hook an iphone directly to it with a cord and expect it to do great. I use it with bluetooth with an iphone and it works well. As far as the GPS itself, it's fair. I know where I am going 95% of the time, so I still put in an address to see how it routes. Remember, it is not a RV specific unit, so it will give you back roads and u turns. As far as radio stations, it works pretty well. I've listened to the Jacksonville Jaguars lose on multiple trips and it performed as well as my car stereo. I really like the aux function when we are watching tv- it will play over the speakers, giving a surround sound feel. There is an issue with ground noise in the mode but by balancing the volume on the unit and the tv, I can get it to a manageable level. The rear view on the camera, at least in my Redhawk 22J, it close to straight down. So you get about 6 feet of view. It's perfect for backing in as long as you did a walk beforehand.

In short, to wrap this up- if you want to hate it, you will. If you want to like it, same. I pretty much thought I would have to rip it out instantly and replace it. I am a bit of a technophile, so I gave it a chance. Like I said- it is very middle of the road, but I can deal with it.
Did you get an instruction booklet with your soundstream? I did not nor did I get a remote. I will be contacting Jayco to see what happened...
Thank you for your information, it has been very helpful!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

I did get both. The manual is really, really bad. Remember, at the end of the day Soundstrean is a Chinese based American product company. You aren’t going to get a lot of help there. I am camping and I don’t have the manual but I’ll look for it online for it. I am trying to post a picture of the remote but my signal is weak.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Take a look at your radio and see if this is your manual.
https://www.manualslib.com/products/...b-4944258.html

Attached is a picture of the remote.
Attached Thumbnails
09E32C90-CC9B-4F51-BB72-DF5F68EEF0AB.jpg  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Take a look at your radio and see if this is your manual.
https://www.manualslib.com/products/...b-4944258.html

Attached is a picture of the remote.
Thank you for the pic on the remote and link to the Soundstream instructions. I sent an email off to Jayco requesting the remote.
Hopefully I can get that resolved quickly.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:

The gps function has not worked in mine yet, replacement on the way but what I was hoping for was the rv specific gps functions - your saying it has none of the rv options like setting height weight and length of the unit and avoiding bridges and underpasses that the rv shouldn’t go over / under? If it does not have that it is getting replaced.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
The gps function has not worked in mine yet, replacement on the way but what I was hoping for was the rv specific gps functions - your saying it has none of the rv options like setting height weight and length of the unit and avoiding bridges and underpasses that the rv shouldn’t go over / under? If it does not have that it is getting replaced.
Ditto on that and that is why I bought the Garmin dezl 780 LMT-S 7” GPS Truck Navigator. You are able to input weight, height, length and width!! You are able to switch it to car mode as well.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Ditto on that and that is why I bought the Garmin dezl 780 LMT-S 7” GPS Truck Navigator. You are able to input weight, height, length and width!! You are able to switch it to car mode as well.
That’s correct- you cannot set height, length, etc. Remember- it’s a $200 cheap radio.

If you are handy, take a look through crutchfield.com. They will sent you everything you need to do any install. If you aren’t, reach out to a stereo shop. I’d make sure that whatever I get 1) accepted cameras. If you have a Greyhawk, that’ll be hard. Most radios have 2 camera inputs, where Greyhawk needs 3. 2) DVD output- if that’s your thing. You’ll need this if you like watching DVD’s on the tv from the radio. If not, don’t worry about it. 3) ability to accept AUX from the TV. Again, personal thing- I like it playing on the overhead speakers. 4) a good updatable GPS. See if you are charged for the maps.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has decent support.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
That’s correct- you cannot set height, length, etc. Remember- it’s a $200 cheap radio.

If you are handy, take a look through crutchfield.com. They will sent you everything you need to do any install. If you aren’t, reach out to a stereo shop. I’d make sure that whatever I get 1) accepted cameras. If you have a Greyhawk, that’ll be hard. Most radios have 2 camera inputs, where Greyhawk needs 3. 2) DVD output- if that’s your thing. You’ll need this if you like watching DVD’s on the tv from the radio. If not, don’t worry about it. 3) ability to accept AUX from the TV. Again, personal thing- I like it playing on the overhead speakers. 4) a good updatable GPS. See if you are charged for the maps.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has decent support.

I like crutchfield and I did contact them and asked if they had anything that accepted 3 cameras...they said no. I am willing to separate the tasks the Soundstream does not perform well, i.e., separate radio, navigation and camera. I have an idea and will let you know if I am able to pull it off.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #11

EEEK, Thanks for the great info and instruction manual link. Agree word for word with your review of the system. I am having the problem with the multiple letters when you try to type. How did you update the firmware?
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino View Post
EEEK, Thanks for the great info and instruction manual link. Agree word for word with your review of the system. I am having the problem with the multiple letters when you try to type. How did you update the firmware?
Here's a thread a wrote up on it- let me know if this helps. Thanks!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tch-62837.html
Old 01-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
I like crutchfield and I did contact them and asked if they had anything that accepted 3 cameras...they said no. I am willing to separate the tasks the Soundstream does not perform well, i.e., separate radio, navigation and camera. I have an idea and will let you know if I am able to pull it off.
The Soundstream VRN-65HB does not control the cameras, it only has one backup camera input. There is a separate camera module which the three cameras connect to. The module monitors the blinkers and backup lights, then send the correct video signal to the stereo. So any system with a single camera input should work. In my 26x the module is in the dash behind the radio. It is a black box about 4"x4"x1".
Attached Thumbnails
vrn_65hb.jpg  
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
The Soundstream VRN-65HB does not control the cameras, it only has one backup camera input. There is a separate camera module which the three cameras connect to. The module monitors the blinkers and backup lights, then send the correct video signal to the stereo. So any system with a single camera input should work. In my 26x the module is in the dash behind the radio. It is a black box about 4"x4"x1".
Cool- even better. Thanks, Balibe!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
For those looking for a replacement …….

Kenwood has released the DNX775RVS for RV's. It has the Garmin GPS system based on the RV 770 LMT-S. It looks like the same Garmin GPS I have in my Fusion/Garmin system they used last year and has map updates from Garmin via the Garmin Express software. I could not find exact prices on the internet but appears to exceed $1000.00. There is a link below, there is a good video on the system. To note, let the video keep going after it ends as it automatically starts several other videos on the system. I was impressed with the Screen Control App which allows a phone/tablet to connect with Bluetooth and take touch screen control of the system.

Kenwood DNX775RVS: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...dia/dnx775rvs/
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
For those looking for a replacement …….

Kenwood has released the DNX775RVS for RV's. It has the Garmin GPS system based on the RV 770 LMT-S. It looks like the same Garmin GPS I have in my Fusion/Garmin system they used last year and has map updates from Garmin via the Garmin Express software. I could not find exact prices on the internet but appears to exceed $1000.00. There is a link below, there is a good video on the system. To note, let the video keep going after it ends as it automatically starts several other videos on the system. I was impressed with the Screen Control App which allows a phone/tablet to connect with Bluetooth and take touch screen control of the system.

Kenwood DNX775RVS: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...dia/dnx775rvs/
Thanks that looks like the unit I would like but Crutchfield and bestbuy don’t carry it yet. Did not look like anyone has it in stock. Hopefully they will soon.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #17

I emailed them to ask when that will be available. They didn’t answer.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #18

Emailed them again and didn’t get an answer. I went to their authorized dealers page and emailed a few of them. A couple have replied back that they had no info of it. I called Kenwood directly and they said yes, it is coming out, but they had no date. They said it wouldn’t have a large release, but would be specially targeted to their bigger dealers, namely crutchfield.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
How is the radio reception with that new antenna on the Seneca? Is the GPS any good? How is the rear view camera. Just curious. The radio on my 2015 Seneca is worthless.
Our Jensen JRV215n seems to have decided to give up. Odd that yours has issues at about the same time. It has given us an occasional issue, but only when we shut down the house power. When we power up the house, it was probably on, but did not come back until we hit the reset button. This time it was the same, but did not come back after the reset button.

ASA electronics gave me a few things to test, but there is so much spaghetti wiring in this dash that I sent Jayco a request for the "exact wiring diagram" for this radio/chassis/cab/camera/GPS and a "mystery box that has left and right" cables in the middle of this mess too.

Now for the interesting part... We have a 6-year Extended Service Plan at CW. But really don't want to get them involved - Yet. We figure that if we take it there, they will take three weeks to figure out that it does not work and order parts that will take two months to arrive. We plan on heading out in a few more weeks.

So... What is the best replacement ??? That's why I am following this thread, hoping that the new units can match the features that the Jensen unit did.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #20

My 2014 originally had a Clarion NX501 which died less than 2 years into our ownership. I considered having it replaced by dealer, but who knows what junk would have been substituted. Plus I shuddered at the thought of the dealer messing around in my dash! I had already "cleaned things up" in there with my other mods including the addition of Sirius radio and a subwoofer to my stereo.

I contacted Clarion and asked if my failure was common, but of course it was not per them. But they did offer me a "goodwill" credit on a new unit that was the most recent unit comparable to what I had. So I went with their NX706 model and I have been very happy with it ever since. Larger (motorized) screen, better interface to all the functions (in my opinion), a more responsive touchscreen, and a HDMI input to which I connected my dashcam. And it will still output video to the bunk TV and output the bunk TV's audio to the overhead speakers. It does everything the original unit did and more. I even connected the rear cameras microphone to my system so when I put it in reverse I see the picture and can hear my wife providing guidance. That took a little more doing, but it is handy at times!

My camera wiring uses an ASA/Voyager switching module, that is what allows the single camera input of the radio to display the side cameras and rear camera at different times. I suspect that is what your unit has too. I attached a file that shows how it is wired, perhaps that is what you are seeing marked left, right, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Voyager camera switching module.pdf (170.5 KB, 12 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote