Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

2019FreelanderRSF Help! Checking it out this weekend!

We are planning the 10 hour drive to go see this unit, Freelander 26RSF. It was a rental unit this summer
with less than 20000km on it. We haven’t seen one in person yet but we have been in many other new Jaycos. If we like it, we are planning on buying it this weekend. My big thing is are there specific issues I should have the dealership check (or take pics of and send us) as we will have limited time for repairs prior to taking possession. Any special things to look for buying a rental unit? We are downsizing from a 31ft 5th wheel, had it for 10 years, never wanted one that large as we are often in the mountains. I grew up with a 24ft 1976 Triple E.

Thanks so much for your help! Everyone we know has 5th wheels, no motorhome specific advice!
StacyPx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not familiar with the Coachman line, but being a previous rental, I'd look it over several times. Inside, outside, and underneath. Was this a rental unit from day 1?
Have the dealer plug it in, and check the function of every appliance, on both electricity, and gas, for the ones that use both. Look for signs of damage or abuse. Look under it for any damage from bottoming out, or being driven 'off road'. What shape are all the tires in? Check the roof for signs of damage from low branches. Look inside drawers, cabinets, under the bed, etc . Is anything loose that shouldn't be?

After all that, go around it again. If you and your wife both look at it together, one of you may pick up on something the other didn't. Guys look at RVs one way, but the DW sees things a whole different way. That's a good thing.

Good luck on the quest, welcome to the Forum, and let us know how it turns out.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

Thank so much for taking the time to respond! I have found one person so far with the same unit and he loves it. Hubby wanted to go even smaller but I THINK I have him convinced that 26 ft *is* small for a family of 5 with 2 big dogs! ��
Everything you said makes sense. I wish we could take my father in law along! Might just have to find a way to make that happen. Hubby isn’t the handy sort although he is the sales manager for a small town Dodge dealer so he is used to looking for wear on tear on trades even if he can’t fix it himself.

Thank you!
StacyPx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

Welcome to the JOF.
I'm not here to judge you but hopefully this is not a hasty decision. I would prefer that you could do more research and check out other RV's but looking on a map I can see you are quite a ways from any large metropolitan areas.
You will be giving up a lot of storage space going from a 31' 5er to a 26' class C. Make sure you like the floor plan and that it is a good fit for you, your family and pets. Take it for a test drive so that you know how it handles and how much room you have with the slides in while going down the road.
If you are serious about purchasing it this weekend then take a good PDI list (pre-delivery inspection) with you and make sure you check all the boxes before you drive it off the lot. Make sure everything works and I mean everything - water system, HW heater, stove, fridge, TV's, hot and cold water at every faucet, lights, awning, generator, leveling jacks if so equipped, microwave, slideouts, anything that folds into a bed, door latches, fans, condition of batteries, condition of tires, and everything else I cannot list here.
Make sure the dealer shows you how to winterize it. Have him go through the motions of doing it. Don't rely on him (or her) telling you it's all in the manual. And make sure there is a manual.
Since this is a used RV, what kind of a warranty does it come with, if any? Be wary of offers to purchase an extended warranty and be sure to read any fine print.
Don't be bashful about recording video of any of the demonstrations that are provided. You aren't going to remember all the details so have your cell phone handy. If you don't understand something, have it explained a second time. Or third or whatever it takes.
On a new RV you can generally get anywhere from 15% to upwards of 30% off the msrp depending on brand, model and time of year. If you can find out what the original msrp of this unit is then you can be better informed as to what an acceptable price might be since it is used.
Good luck in your search and your decision and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyPx3 View Post
Thank so much for taking the time to respond! I have found one person so far with the same unit and he loves it. Hubby wanted to go even smaller but I THINK I have him convinced that 26 ft *is* small for a family of 5 with 2 big dogs! ��
Everything you said makes sense. I wish we could take my father in law along! Might just have to find a way to make that happen. Hubby isn’t the handy sort although he is the sales manager for a small town Dodge dealer so he is used to looking for wear on tear on trades even if he can’t fix it himself.

Thank you!
Don’t go with a 26’ with a family of 5 and two dogs. Been down that road and you’ll regret it. LARGER...
Old 09-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
Site Team

We have 2 couple/friends that have smaller RedHawks and their biggest adjustment was the lack of storage space, especially coming from a fifth wheel. They only travel with 2 adults!
I would have some serious discussions with the family about the size of the rig, no matter the price or unit.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote