Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

2020 Prestige 29MVP

Traded in my little Melbourne in for the Greyhawk 29MVP. My wife and I are rather new to all of this but I have a fair amount of ability to handle what I need to handle. I have already added solar and another battery (no idea why there is only 1 house battery). I have just a few questions:

1. What upgrades or changes should I make ASAP. We mainly do shorter trips that will last no more than 1 week. We generally do not Boondock but will when needed.

2. Suggestions for better head unit that can control 3 cameras?

3. I will be commuting in winter from time to time and dont wish to travel while its winterized. This winter (end of feb) we will be leaving central PA and heading to SC for a week. We are making a stop in VA for 1 night. Any suggestions? I do have a Dyson blade electric heater I can run with cabinets open if that will help.

4. Mattress replacement?

5. Any other comments PLEASE.

Thanks again everyone!

Josh
CreekLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Team

We replaced the original mattress in our TT with a 10" Zinus memory foam mattress from Amazon. It's really comfortable, compared to the one that came in it. There are a lot of great brands available.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekLife View Post
1. What upgrades or changes should I make ASAP. We mainly do shorter trips that will last no more than 1 week. We generally do not Boondock but will when needed.
Maybe not ASAP, but many of us have done suspension upgrades to help the handling on the highway. New Front sway bar and steering stabilizer for starters. Then Sumo springs and maybe track bar. Plus, check adjustment on Hellwig helper springs to make sure they are set correctly. These will all help with the body roll issue.

You'll find out the Soundstream is junk, specially the GPS. Many have upgraded or added a separate GPS unit, Garmins are popular.

Add Maxair vent covers, so you can leave roof vents open.

We added a 3" memory foam mattress topper to hard OEM mattress.

Add EMS for incoming power supply to protect electronics.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #4

I second what retired one says. To me top of list was improve driving experience. I tend to drive long days to get where I want to spend my time. So after first ten week trip I did the following in this order. Your order can be dictated by what you want to spend

All costs are with me doing the work. If you pay some one else this could get pricey.
Sumo springs in front. Cost about $180. Pretty much stops sway
Helwig front anti sway bar. About $180
Roadmaster steering stabilizer. $200. Well worth it.
Tighten rear helwig helper springs. They are set at lower end on adjustment range.
Add wood shelves to rear large bays. Use existing ledge to support. $20
Get under rig and put board between gar tank and bands that hold it so it drains completely. This will reduce smell when rig is not used. $10
Install ad a tank valve to propane line so small tank can be used it main tank runs empty. $55
Think about placing heat shield under black mat under driver and passenger area. Requires removal of both seats. Not that hard. Cost varies on what you pick. My cost was $150
Put better wood bracing between Utah room under sink filter and wall. Screws here are very weak and it will break loose very soon if not already loose. $5

The list goes on but modifications depend on what you want and are able to do. I pay no one to work on rig unless absolutely required.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

Thank you for the great advice
CreekLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #6

Any radio that has a single camera input will work, as your Greyhawk has a switcher in it. It monitors the blinkers & reverse to display the correct camera.

I would highly recommend the DNX995S as it does everything the Soundstream does and is Kenwood's flagship radio. From last year. So it is severely discounted, about half off. You can get it for $650 from Sounds of Tri-State. One word about buying car stereos, though- you can find them cheaper, but if it isn't an authorized dealer, they won't warranty it. You also run the risk of getting a return/used unit or even a counterfeit one.

It isn't a complicated install, but there is some weird wiring there. Most car radio shops will install gear you brought yourself if you don't want to tackle it. I had my radio, a dashcam, and front and rear speakers installed on my first trip. That was around four hours. I felt it was missing the low end so I had a sub installed under the passenger seat and it took around three hours. I wasn't going for loud- I was going for sound quality and my radio sounds extremely good.

Here is a video that shows my older radio. I swapped to a 995S as the Bluetooth module in the 875S was being weird. You'll also see the rings the installer had to build to make the rear speakers fit. I am not sure if you'll have to deal with that in your Greyhawk, but something to be aware of. It also shows some of the little things we've done to our 22J. Since I've shot this, I added a bedroom TV, dropped the bug screens and went to flea collars, and as mentioned, swapped the radio.

eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #7

New upgrades 27U

I have a new 27U so can’t address all the issues that might have in 29MV. In our area seems like the new Jayhawks come with JRidePlus. We have that and seems like unit handles very well. Have about 3000 miles on it and no real issues.

Two things we have done that have really enjoyed:
1. replace bathroom fan with maxair pro. Remote controlled bath fan seemed like fluff - but wife couldn’t reach to open the cover on very cheap little fan installed. So really liking it. Also moves much more air and can leave it open in the rain.
2. Replaced cabin door lock with electric lock from RVlock.com. Works great and is nice when go for walks or when out in driveway and going to be away for a bit.

The stereo is not very user friendly. Have found easier to use with the remote. Actually sounds nice and the cameras are pretty good. Just difficult to hit the tiny buttons on the side while driving down the road - thus the remote.

Good luck and enjoy new RV.
RRHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #8

Oh - another thing we have enjoyed is digital thermostat. Allows me to turn heat down to 40 or so on some cold nights and don’t want to winterize in mild central Texas. Also gives current internal temp. Easy change out and easier to adjust.
RRHunter is offline   Reply With Quote