Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Angry 2020 Redhawk 22J Infotainment Replacement

Has anyone replaced the "Infotainment" system provided with their new Jayco Class C? Our is extremely slow to show the backup camera, difficult to see the camera in bright sun light, the radio will not stop searching, blue tooth connection is slow, etc.

Would like to see what people have replaced the base system with and if they did it themselves or did you have a dealer to it?

Thank you in advance for any insight/thoughts/information as this is our first Jayco RV purchase.
kramer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #2

Not sure what Jayco installed from the factory.
Our 2019 29 MV came with the sound stream system. The GPS was junk, hard to hear, and the lag with the cameras.

After numerous issues, I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX 697 S.
The only thing it does not do is play dvd's to the TV.
The front tv has the blueray player connected so this was not an issue for us to not have this option.
This new unit has Garmin GPS maps, Apple Car Play and the Android equivalent. The old unit did not have this capability.
Our first trip with it will be this weekend and next week.
We also added Sirius radio to the new unit while they were in the dash.
Since we plan on doing some traveling this year, thought that would be a nice addition.

There are many threads here about the junk sound stream units installed by Jayco, and good replacements.
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

Our 2019 greyhawk came with the Soundstream radio. It shorted out about 70 miles into our first trip with the unit. It was replaced, some wiring problem was fixed. That one lasted about 40 miles into our next trip. We then worked with the dealer and Jayco and upgraded to a JVC kw850bt.

It works fine, we think. We haven't had much experience with it as the speakers are always out, and working, and out again. Sometimes in time with bumps on the road, sometimes just randomly. Ok, I digress. The dealer is on the 6th or 7th try to find the problem, and though you'd think we would be livid at this point, it's actually getting comical..sort of. At any rate, we now only use the radio in a city for the cameras. On a positive note, the camper components in our rig are great!!

Anyhow, the camera doesn't seem all that much quicker to change. (To use the camera, we just have to hear the intense rattling and static from the speakers, even with volume at 0...) The other drawback with this radio is that unlike the Soundstream one, it doesn't have a rear view available while driving. At least I can't find it if it does.

I know you could do without my tale of no soundsystem, but I couldn't help it!! I hope the camera info helps.
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #4

I swapped mine with a DNX995S. Those are harder to find now, but if you can get one, it is an excellent replacement.

If you have no interest in DVD, I'd look at the Jensen CAR1000. It has a 10-inch screen, like the Sonys they are putting in the 2021 motorized Jayco's.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

On our 2019 Greyhawk 30x, we replaced the sound stream with a Stinger Elev8. Very satisfied, works much better and includes a volume knob.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkids View Post
On our 2019 Greyhawk 30x, we replaced the sound stream with a Stinger Elev8. Very satisfied, works much better and includes a volume knob.
Thank you for the information. Will look this one up.
kramer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer1 View Post
Has anyone replaced the "Infotainment" system provided with their new Jayco Class C? Our is extremely slow to show the backup camera, difficult to see the camera in bright sun light, the radio will not stop searching, blue tooth connection is slow, etc.

Would like to see what people have replaced the base system with and if they did it themselves or did you have a dealer to it?

Thank you in advance for any insight/thoughts/information as this is our first Jayco RV purchase.
That was the first upgrade I did on my 22J. The one supplied by Jayco is the worst POS I have ever seen...screen is too small and cannot be seen in the shaded cab. The sound was terrible.

I went to Best Buy and had them replace it with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. It was not expensive and was a huge upgrade.