Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #1

24k slide out donít work when engine is on

Does anyone know why the slide outs wonít work when the engine is running. Seems strange when you dry camp because they drain a lot of the battery. Is there a way to override the interlock so they will work with the engine running. Is there a reason why Jayco did this.

Ortak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

I canít even retract my awing when my Seneca ignition is on.

Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

You know they say if you read one of the warning labels saying not to do for safety someone has done it. I saw a guy leave the camp ground with his slide out at least he retraced the awning how far he got I do not know
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

I would assume they donít want the slide button to have power while moving. Imagine if a passenger pushed the button and the slide started to move out while you were driving at 65 mph. I do agree it would be nice to have the added power while doing the slide operation. If my batteries are running down I start up the generator.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I would assume they donít want the slide button to have power while moving. Imagine if a passenger pushed the button and the slide started to move out while you were driving at 65 mph. I do agree it would be nice to have the added power while doing the slide operation. If my batteries are running down I start up the generator.
x2
It's recommended to have the generator running when opening and closing the slides. Their power comes from the coach battery not the engine battery.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

Generator battery

Yes that’s correct. The truck battery does not supply any power at all to the coach. I just disconnected my coach battery and nothing operates in the coach. It’s funny because in my Itasca Navion you could do the slides as long as the parking brake was on. Seems to me that that would be the best interlock.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortak View Post
Yes that’s correct. The truck battery does not supply any power at all to the coach.
So you don't get stranded with all the batteries dead.

If the engine is running it will supply power to the coach to charge the batteries and you can use the aux start button on the dash to close the slides in an emergency. Of course it will take two people.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

The Melbourne only has one type 27 battery. There is no aux start either. I guess the only way out is to carry a second battery.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortak View Post
Does anyone know why the slide outs wonít work when the engine is running. Seems strange when you dry camp because they drain a lot of the battery. Is there a way to override the interlock so they will work with the engine running. Is there a reason why Jayco did this.

Not suppose to. It's a safety feature so people won't be pulling their slideouts while driving, same goes with the levelers.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #10

I agree with the safety aspect but why couldn’t they do like Winnebago and interlock the slide out and awning power with the handbrake.