Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

Melbourne 24L Fresh water tank

During recent trips we noticed that when we arrive at our destination, water is on the floor beside the bed and storage closet. After much discussion we decided to remove the wood panels to look under the bed platform. Much to our surprise, the fresh water tank and the air vent lines are incorporated all around the electrical connections. It's a scary sight! Anyway, there are three vents coming off the top of the water tank with a 12" piece of hose coming off each elbow. These hoses were just laying on the floor beside the tank and you could see that water had escaped through the hoses as water sloshed around while driving. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you resolve? Just worried because of all the electrical connections in same area. Thanks for any advice.
Deertale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Those three white hoses should exit outside the coach, as they are overflow and vent lines for the tank. With where they are laying, if you overflow filling the tank, you flood the coach. What you're seeing is the sloshing out as you drive.

Check to see if there are any access holes to stick them outside the floor of the coach, so they drain underneath outside. Maybe the installers got distracted during install, and never finished running them outside or drilled the appropriate holes in the floor?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Thank you. We are so stumped because there is not a hole. Here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
0829191951a~3.jpg  
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome from Western NY!

If your unit is under warranty, a call to your dealer may be in order. Let them drill the floor, and position the hoses where they're suppose to go. Just in case there's something underneath there that's not drill bit friendly.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertale View Post
Thank you. We are so stumped because there is not a hole. Here is a picture
Those three lines have to drain outside the rig, so someone made a mistake. Like JFlight said, have the dealer fix it ASAP, or if you're really handy, you can drill and route them outside.

I'd also slide under the rig in that area and see if you can tell of any holes that might be there for them to stick through. Maybe they're blocked by wires or something, and it's a simple repair that doesn't require a wait at the dealer.

I have a 24 foot rig, here is what my hoses look like sticking down under the rig:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0737.jpg  
Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

I think you should contact Jayco as well. A picture is worth a thousand words. They should make it right.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:09 AM   #7

A big thank you for the responses. Getting into a dealer is worse than getting into seeing a doctor! Going to send photos to Jayco as I think they also need to know that someone really messed up. I am just glad that the tank itself isn't leaking. Have to look on the positive side Will post Jayco's response if we get one.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #8

I'd send the pics and ask for compensation. But I'd do the job myself. It's such a hassle trying to get an RV in for repairs.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM   #9

Jayco's response

JAYCO'S RESPONSE: We are very sorry to learn of the bad experience you encountered. The 3 hoses you are referring to is for the overflow, of the fresh water tank. They should be routed to the outside down over the top of the fresh water tank. I noticed you are the 2nd owner of the coach, the coach has been out of our control. I could not explain to your why the hoses are on the inside of the coach, but they definitely need to be routed to the outside.

We were somewhat disappointed that since Jayco admitted that this is something that NEEDS to be done, that they didn't direct us to a dealer to have the holes drilled. We realized during our purchase transaction that Jayco no longer transfers their warranty to second owner, but since this was a 2018 with just 11,000 miles on it, we didn't think we had any concerns. We were the first to use the water tank. We did ask for a schematic so we know where to drill, but at this point we are just going to do some investigating this morning and take care of the problem ourselves. Appreciate all the advice and help! Happy trails.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:57 AM   #10

I'm disappointed that Jayco didn't offer you assistance for something that was obviously an over-site in production. Kudos on your pro active mindset. It will be an asset down the road if you have anything that needs your attention. Hope the fix goes well.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #11

it was interesting to see a different type of vent hose in the photos. my 2001 has clear vinyl hose which crimped going over the tank edge. the photos looks to be semi-hard plastic which will not crimp.
my plan is to put 90 degree plastic barbed fittings in line.
I wonder why there are 3 lines. when one 1/2inch line would be adequate, for a vent.
Rod in AZ
JohnRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRod View Post
I wonder why there are 3 lines. when one 1/2inch line would be adequate, for a vent.
Rod in AZ
There are three lines probably because of the pressure injected into the tank during city fill. A single line wouldn't be able to dissipate that pressure just by gravity alone, and it could rupture the tank or other fittings.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #13
shw

Question 24L Fresh Water Tank Melbourne

had the same issue after one trip--of course when leaving the dealer, figured the fresh tank was full--thought wow this is great. went on our first trip filled the fresh tank to full---there is a round seam facing forward that if i remember right, has a sensor lead in the middle of it, the seal broke---had a repairman, blessed by Jayco, to seal it---took about three days for the cement to cure---works great. but, i still feel around the bed in the back just to make sure.
SHW
shw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, water tank