Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

26BHS to 26X1 Motor Home

We are trading in our travel trailer for a motor home. The reasons are that we do a lot of stop and go traveling while visiting family and friends on our annual pilgrimage. Plus my 11 yr old truck needed replacement. So for about the same amount of money upgraded to the Class C 26X1.

A couple of questions about the 26X1
1) How good is the cruise control. I couldn't use the cruise on my pick up during any hills as the engine would race (>4K rpm) to recover set speed. This was a pain using my pickup.

2) Waiting to hear if the unit comes with a spare. If not, should I get one. I have road side assistance and a cell.

3) Thinking of buying the rear hitch cargo carrier that has a back receiver where I could attach a bike rack. Anyone with experience with this combination?
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

So, I don't have the 26X1, I've got the 31FK but I think we share the same Ford platform. Cruise Control, IMHO, still does the same thing. It'll downshift and hit high revs when climbing a hill. So, I just flip it off on a hill.

Spare - I don't know, but I'll vote for "I doubt it." Mine didn't come with one. As to whether you need one or not, the subject is controversial. Some wouldn't travel with out one. Me? I've got a cell phone and roadside coverage too. I think I realize that these things are not like cars - changing a tire isn't going to be easy. I'd prefer to sit tight and wait for someone to do it.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

We negotiated the spare and the spare tire carrier as part of the deal before we closed.

This is the carrier that we got: Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Not cheap, but that's why I got the dealer to pay for it.

We're in the "never travel without it" group as far as the spare is concerned. Relying on roadside assistance to find the right spare for your unit is very "iffy", and many have ended up with an off-brand tire at an inflated price. Much better to have your own spare, and let them change it.

We got the Ford platform (26XD), because it has the 6 speed transmission, and is quieter than the Chevy platform, and gets better mileage (almost 12 MPG on the last trip). The cruise control is great! We we're able to use it most of the way through the mountains, and with the 6 speed, it held speed perfectly even on steep downhill runs.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

Thanks. Just for the record the 26X1 is built on a chevy chasis (26XD is the Ford). Yeah I don't think I want to change tires anymore. I'll wait for the calvary.
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote