Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2023, 08:27 PM   #1

27u handling issue

Just took our 23 out for its shakedown. Everything was great except handling. Always correcting it while driving and always tense while driving. JAYCO says it has the JRIDE, but the stering definitely needs something more. Looking for suggestions about what I can do to improve handling.
B Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:35 PM   #2

I don't know anything about your problem but curious. Is your location Ferndale, CA?
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:51 PM   #3

A couple suggestions. First, make sure your tire pressure in front tires is near suggested on the sticker for your RV by Jayco. Not at max air pressure. Load your rv like you are going to be using it, and take it to a place that can do an alignment. The toe in is usually off and causes it to jump back and forth on the highway because of one tire getting more grip, and then the other.
I take our Class A to a local truck repair shop.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:11 AM   #4

My 23 26M was the same way, always fighting to keep it between the lines. I know many have said to change the alignment, but around here there were no shops to do the work, so I did what I could myself. I installed a Safe T Plus and front sumo springs. This took a couple of hours and made a huge difference in handling and wandering. Is it perfect? No, but it's much better than it was, and I can take my eyes off the road for a second without ending up in a ditch.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #5

Thumbs up

As Kevin Cooper says. Tire pressure as stated on the door jamb, and a front end alignment made a huge difference in ours. It drives really nice now. No more wandering, or fighting the steering wheel.
Etsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #6

Great place to start!
B Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 06:43 PM   #7

I totally agree with the other post. Correct air pressure and a front end alignment by a reputable shop......
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:10 AM   #8

Safe-T-Plus is a must!
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:51 AM   #9

New RVs need an alignment. Even if you're in a "tweak the Toe and Go" shop, it'll help.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #10

I have a 2022 29MV and had the same problem at first. I did a front end alignment and the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and now I can one hand it on the highway with no problem.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #11

I have a 2020 Greyhawk 27U. We bought it brand new in Aug 2020, it also has the JRide. I tow a 2020 Ford F150 supercrew pickup. We have spent at least one night in all 48 continental states and have almost 36000 miles driven with this RV.

This is what I have done to improve drivability:

Roadmaster RSSC Reflex Steering Stabilizer For Class C Motorhomes
Properly adjust the rear Helwig Helper Spring
SumoSprings Front (Black 47)
Roadmaster beefed up front anti-sway bar
SuperSteer® SS450 Rear Trac Bar
Do not run max tire pressure, Use cat scale weights (or other) of vehicle loaded for travel and the tire pressure chart for the installed tires. I end up running between 70 -75 psi, which is a tad more pressure than my tire chart shows.

Great thread on this topic: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...way-86986.html

These changes took me from a white knuckle 300 mile/ day driving experience at no more than 65 mph, to an easy 500 mile day at 70 – 75 mph. Although, I still do a lot of 65 mph driving to conserve fuel. Trucks passing or being passed is no longer a thought while driving. Wind at or above 25 mph or gusting greater than that causes me to slowdown quite a bit, just feels safer.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:23 PM   #12

We have found the same results with the sway bar on our 2020 Seneca 37TS. Seems to have a great deal of "play" in the steering.
Cavemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #13

Sumo Springs made all the difference for us. I couldn't be happier with the improvement.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:58 AM   #14

We bought a 2022 Jayco Alante Class A in January 2023. It drove poorly -- was all over the road on a windy day or in truck traffic. I understand that JayRide is just an advertising ploy. We spent over $10K to upgrade the handling by installing sway bars (front and rear) and Sumo Springs. After aligning the steering, it now drives like and SUV and is no longer all over the road. It's hard to understand why Jayco puts these things on the road with such poor handling. Our investment in handling upgrades was weel worth it during our drive from the east coast to the west coast and back!
Scheber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:15 PM   #15

We have a 2021 26D - same chassis as you. When we got it - the previous owner had installed SafTPlus steering stabilizer. It was helpful, but just OK by my standards - especially in high winds (like all over the western states in every season!!!).
It also dragged on uneven driveways, etc. so bad that previous owner put a steel roller wheel on back hitch support - not good!
We bit the bullet and went for the 5 inch lift kit from WeldTec with new front and rear springs, new front and read shocks, modified radius arms and I beams. Results were very good! Much more stable and firm (not wallowing) ride, no clearance issues - we have been very happy with it and think it was worth the investment.
we had it installed in Eureka, CA by Rocky's OffRoad Service and were very happy with the quality of their work.
I later put on the Roadmaster heavy duty sway bars and think that is a good addition also.
Starting with a good aftermarket steering stabilizer and the HD sway bars is a good start - and less expensive.
If you are in Ferndale CA - PM me if you want to discuss local alignment shops.
KKTrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 02:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEILI View Post
My 23 26M was the same way, always fighting to keep it between the lines. I know many have said to change the alignment, but around here there were no shops to do the work, so I did what I could myself. I installed a Safe T Plus and front sumo springs. This took a couple of hours and made a huge difference in handling and wandering. Is it perfect? No, but it's much better than it was, and I can take my eyes off the road for a second without ending up in a ditch.
Hello.
I have a 2020 26d and I'm going to add Sumo springs to the front. may ask what color did you use black or blue?
Thank you in advance
sholstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:40 PM   #17

Front Sumo Springs

Mine are black. Remember they just replace the rubber stop bumpers and thus just slightly improve the spring rate near end of travel. I got mine as 'Amazon return' so I felt better about the price...
KKTrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:31 AM   #18

All great suggestions. The one thing that I did, as suggested here, is adjust the Helwig helper springs. I have 2020 26XD class C and in my case I adjusted the springs to 2 1/2 inches. They were all well beyond 4 inches from the factory. Made a huge difference in tracking a cornering.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:05 AM   #19

Sumo springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdcwo View Post
Sumo Springs made all the difference for us. I couldn't be happier with the improvement.
Im getting ready to add Sumo's to the front of my 26D Odyssey and getting an idea on what color everyone with similar MH are using, Black,Blue??
sholstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholstein View Post
Hello.
I have a 2020 26d and I'm going to add Sumo springs to the front. may ask what color did you use black or blue?
Thank you in advance

I went with black.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27u, handling, steering stabilizer