Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #21

Water filter By-pass

For those still waiting to pick up their new 29ME... Check the location of the water filter. On the 2015 it is in such a horrendous location there is no chance I would ever use it and when you winterize it holds over a litre of anti-freeze. It is behind a false wall buried deep inside the basement. You have to remove eight screws and crawl inside the cupboard to access it.

According to the owners manual your rig should ship with a by-pass hose... Mine did not so the dealer made one for me. Have them install it before you take possession so that you never have to look at it again!!!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #22

We had our dealer permanently remove ours and we will use a stand-alone filter outside the rig
Greyhawk 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
For those still waiting to pick up their new 29ME... Check the location of the water filter. On the 2015 it is in such a horrendous location there is no chance I would ever use it and when you winterize it holds over a litre of anti-freeze. It is behind a false wall buried deep inside the basement. You have to remove eight screws and crawl inside the cupboard to access it.

According to the owners manual your rig should ship with a by-pass hose... Mine did not so the dealer made one for me. Have them install it before you take possession so that you never have to look at it again!!!
My setup has valves that you can fiddle with to bypass the filter. No hose required.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #24

We also added a bead of silicone around the bottom of this because we noticed any leaks would travel into the back compartment
Attached Thumbnails
20160420_094427.jpg  
Old 05-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #25

This is on the back side of the cable connection in the power cord compartment , if not careful it'll bite you and will probably work on the cord to overtime
Attached Thumbnails
20160430_154343.jpg  
Old 05-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
My setup has valves that you can fiddle with to bypass the filter. No hose required.
Scratch that. They aren't bypass valves in my rig. Learned that the hard way trying to dewinterize and couldn't get water running for 40 minutes. The dealership was wrong.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #27

I wondered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Scratch that. They aren't bypass valves in my rig. Learned that the hard way trying to dewinterize and couldn't get water running for 40 minutes. The dealership was wrong.
I wondered about that.... Mine had shut off valves but not bypass.... Thought maybe yours had come off the line later then mine with some improved features... If you look in the manual you will see a bypass hose was supposed to be included, so have them either get you one or make it for you.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #28

Happy To Be Here!

Just got my 2016 29 ME and couldn't be happier. I believe I made a great choice! Seems like a very friendly group here. I'm sure I'll have lot's of questions as I am new to RV'ing. 20+ years on the water!

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco 29 MEd2.jpg  

JH
Tampa Bay
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME
0and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #29

Welcome to the Show 0and2... With that beautiful looking rig you by-passes the minor leagues and came straight to the Majors!

Old 05-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Welcome to the Show 0and2... With that beautiful looking rig you by-passes the minor leagues and came straight to the Majors!
Thanks Griswald! I've logged a few innings in my career!! And after a pretty exhaustive search for our first RV, I too felt that the Jayco took us straight to the "Bigs"!!
Joe

JH
Tampa Bay
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME
0and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #31

2017 Under Way

Happy to report a successful commencement to the 2017 Camping Season. We took the ME out for a shake down trip this weekend at the Barrie KOA and all systems were go.

We are hoping that our laundry list of warranty issues is now behind us and we will be able to enjoy this season without last years constant return trips to the dealership.

I do have a few projects in mind that I am hoping to work out the details on. First off is my sewer hose storage. I bought one of the prefab PVC tubes from Camping World last year. I works mostly,but my temporary install is pretty rough. I used heavy duty zip ties to mount it to the frame for now but I am trying to figure out a more permanent solution. It would have been much easier if the geniuses that produced it, had made it about 8 " longer so that it would make it past the passenger side rail.

The second project will be a flip up counter top extension. I found hardware at Lee Valley that should work... Now it is just a matter of figuring out a surface to use. I like the idea of making a butchers block type surface, but my dimensions will be bigger then any thickness planer I have access to.

Enjoy the Season!!!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #32

Glad to hear you had a successful first outing Griswald One. We just went out on our 4th trip of the season this past weekend. Looking forward to heading out again at the end of the month. My warranty list is pretty short. My steps don't want to retract when they are supposed to and my alarm for the jacks sounds when I put the rig into gear even though the jacks are retracted. I'm hoping to hold off until the end of the season before taking her in to the dealership.

Just curious why you didn't use the bumper for your sewer hose storage. That's where I keep my Rhino hose.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSport View Post
Just curious why you didn't use the bumper for your sewer hose storage. That's where I keep my Rhino hose.
Hey JD,

Couple of reasons. First is convenience, I was able to mount the container right by the outlet. It has an easy twist off cap that will not fall off on the highway, which I have had happen with the bumper caps. And because I sloped it slightly the hose is always at the right end of the container. I can recall a few times with the bumper where I would have to get a broom stick to push the hose one way or another because it had managed to slide right to the middle.

The other problem was that I had switched to the Rhino hose instead of my cheap blue one and it did not fit. Somewhere just beyond my arms reach I have a protrusion inside the bumper that the Rhino can't make it past. So I was left with three options, try and grind down a protrusion inside the closed tube where I could not see what other damage I might be doing, store the hose in a Rubbermaid bin inside the basement or switch to the undermount system.

I actually really like the design ideas others have posted using the fence post and vinyl gutters, but I had a hard time sourcing the parts for anything resembling a reasonable price. Ideally I would love to put a second one down there for my fishing poles

Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #34

Yes, I have heard of the stock bumper caps falling off. I replaced mine with some that fit snug and haven't had a problem yet. Sounds like you've got a nice set up for your situation!
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 05-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #35

Lost two

I lost two before I found the "locking" ones for my old rig and they seemed to work better. The second one I discovered was missing when I saw the wiggly blue snake trying to sneak out while moving at 60 mph on the freeway

Old 06-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #36

6 Adults on the 29ME

Just finished up a "Boys Weekend" in the rig. Gave me a great opportunity to test out the space.

We had six men in the RV and most of us fairly large. It was a good learning experience. Sleeping arrangements are the primary concern. I put the two largest in the main bedroom, the two smallest in the cab over bunk and the middle two on the pull out bed. That generally worked out well but the two on the pull out complained quite a bit about that horrible bed. It may well be the worst designed bed I have ever seen on an RV. I am going to have to look into some kind of solution for it.

Storage worked out fairly well. I told the guys in advance to keep it to one small duffel bag. The two in the bedroom had lots of space for their bags, the others stored theirs in the front seats.

The only thing that really surprised me was the water supply. This was our eighth year doing this trip but the first time with the ME. Previous TT's had 30 gallon tanks and we never ran out of water. This time we emptied the 40 gallon tank. I struggled to figure out how this happened. I think there may have been two factors, one was the increased comfort level meant the guys were using my head more rather then going up to the campgrounds washroom. Second was the increased water use caused by waiting for hot water from the on demand system.

Overall a great trip and I look forward to the next one!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #37

Wow, six men, must have been cozy! The wife and I are taking another couple with us this weekend so if you survived with five other guys I find that encouraging. As far as water, my ME has a 33 gallon tank. Are you saying you can carry 40 gallons of fresh water?
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 06-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #38
Site Team

The specs usually include the full water heater as part of the fresh water supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #39

Roger that but we have tankless water heaters, at least I do. I thought they had a tankless heater in '15 but maybe I'm wrong.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #40

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSport View Post
Wow, six men, must have been cozy! The wife and I are taking another couple with us this weekend so if you survived with five other guys I find that encouraging. As far as water, my ME has a 33 gallon tank. Are you saying you can carry 40 gallons of fresh water?
It is certainly possible that I am mistaken... I thought it was a 40 but that is going off memory from the sale. Will have to double check now

Added - Just checked... You are correct 33 fresh... 41 Grey... Now that seems odd!