Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

29MV (2013) Coach entry step Question

We have had our coach for less then a year, 3 outings in it so far this year and on our last outing the automatic step quit retractin g up, they come down just fine but will not go up without me pulling them up as the motor pulls them up. I am trying to diagnose why it is doing this, are they hooked up to the coach battery? My train of thought is that maybe the coach batterys are not charging fully? not sure where they charge from. Any input would be great!
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

Coach batteries charge off the converter using either pedestal power, genny power, or (usually) the chassis alternator.

Does your coach battery show a full charge on the battery meter in the command center when you are w/o shore, genny, and chassis power (engine off)?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

There is an ignition circuit that when the controller gets power from, it retracts the steps. On my 2012 31FS, there is a fuse under the driver kick panel on this circuit. It is a 4amp blade type fuse in an inline holder. I have had it blow. I found it by almost accident. You can also check that connection above the steps as well. Check all your grounds too. There are a couple fuses above the steps as well.

They will not deploy without power as well. gravity doesnt help deployment much because of the design of the gear drive. So I believe you have an issue with wiring, a fuse or the controller itself.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Got it to work, just sprayed the heck out of all the pivot points with WD40 and now it works like a champ!
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote