Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2022, 01:04 PM   #1

29MV drain line freeze protection

Hello,

On our trip south from Michigan to Arizona this year I waited until we got to Texas to pressurize the water lines where we stayed 2 nights at a campground. One night the temp dropped to 28 degrees and our water lines froze. Most of the frozen issue was in the supply hose that was attached to the campsite faucet. But I suspect that the two drain lines that are under pressure and exposed below the motorhome may also had some freezing. Would it make sense to put a heat tape on these two drain lines for unexpected cold snaps and plug it in if the forecast is near freezing or should I not worry about them since I don think they froze up into the moterhome as I was running the furnace. I am not sure where in the motorhome the line froze but suspect perhaps right at the city water connection point. The freezing cleared up shortly after we got underway so I had no major issues. Just trying to think ahead next time should there be a similar unexpected freeze.
TravelinTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #2

If your class C is like my Entegra, the entire fresh water system plumbing outside under the motohome is exposed and not insulated (not just the 2 drain lines).

I insulated all the exposed plumbing and have had no freeze issues down to the low 20s. I use the onboard tank as supply as disconnect the city hose and blow it out, when encountering freeze conditions.

If you have full hookup, you can also run your water during freeze (grey valve open of course).
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #3

The fresh water hose between your coach and the campground hydrant will generally be the first thing to freeze. If you're heating the interior, the water lines will usually be OK into the mid-20's for a few hours if you disconnect and drain your water hose connection. We experienced several nights into the mid-20's (above freezing during the day) on our recent trip along the Gulf Coast and had no problems using this technique.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #4

Can I ask how or what you used to insulate your exposed lines?
Old 01-30-2022, 09:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinTim View Post
I didn't add any insulation to my water system. When overnight temps were projected to be below freezing, I kept the interior warm (we were living in it so the heat was on, of course), turned on the tank heaters, and disconnected from the campground water. We used the water pumped from our fresh water tank overnight. We didn't have any issues with overnight temps down to the mid-20's. It did warm up well above freezing during the day so everything got a chance to warm up again.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:31 PM   #6

Sorry Dvspl, I meant to direct my question to dxrobertson.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
If your class C is like my Entegra, the entire fresh water system plumbing outside under the motohome is exposed and not insulated (not just the 2 drain lines).

I insulated all the exposed plumbing and have had no freeze issues down to the low 20s. I use the onboard tank as supply as disconnect the city hose and blow it out, when encountering freeze conditions.

If you have full hookup, you can also run your water during freeze (grey valve open of course).
What did you insulate your expose plumbing with? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2022, 05:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinTim View Post
I used pipe insulation, the grey/black tube stuff.

I was able to insulate all the exposed plumbing including the drain lines and the tank fill line. Some of the plumbing is not easily accessible, a contortionist I am not. Where you cant reach; first wrap the end of the insulation around an area of that line you can reach, using electrical tape, tape around the insulation and the pipe, then slide the insulation onto the inaccessible line until its snug at the other end. Electrical tape or zip tie the ends of each pile insulation as well as where any open gaps appear, but dont crush it.

I also had to remove some spray insulation in areas where it was excessive and in the way. Some areas you cant get an exact fit around the line, like where the drains are pressed against the storage housing.

This is a few hours work.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:20 AM   #9

This has been a quest for me too. I think pipe insulation will help you down into the high 20's. But it didn't help me when we dropped into the teens.

Two years ago I started the exploration into heat-tape/cable. - The Quest for a Slightly Less Dumb Home

- The Quest for a Slightly Less Dumb Home

A couple of months ago, I bit the bullet and crawled back under to run the heat-cable. No fun. Zero fun. In fact, it was hours on my back, reaching up into places you can't reach. I used 30' of the heat-cable and think I covered 90ish%.

I have not had the chance to test it.
I suspect that the 10% I missed might still put me in a "no-water" situation.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
I used pipe insulation, the grey/black tube stuff.

I was able to insulate all the exposed plumbing including the drain lines and the tank fill line. Some of the plumbing is not easily accessible, a contortionist I am not. Where you cant reach; first wrap the end of the insulation around an area of that line you can reach, using electrical tape, tape around the insulation and the pipe, then slide the insulation onto the inaccessible line until its snug at the other end. Electrical tape or zip tie the ends of each pile insulation as well as where any open gaps appear, but dont crush it.

Great advice. I also slit a pool noodle and use it in a few places. It was more rigid and easier to push thru some spots.