Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #1

29MV - Too much engine heat in cab

We are on day 2 of our repositioning trip from south to north. This is the first trip that we have taken since the purchase of our 2018 29MV in November that we have traveled in weather that we can roll down the windows in the cab. But DW has noticed extreme heat in the passenger seat, not emanating from the dog box, but in the area slightly behind and to the right of her seat. It's in the area where the passenger seat belt is mounted. I felt the area and there was no comparison between the drivers and passenger sides. The mechanism for the seat belt rewinder was hot. Our past trips were in the cold, so the heat was on and this issue wasn't noticed.

I see that the exhaust pipe exits by the passenger side wheels, but I don't know if that would be close enough to cause the excess heat. I checked both front wheels and tires, and they both seemed to be about the same temperature.

Have any of you experienced this phenomenon? Any ideas of why or what to do to remedy this. DW has moved to the back just to get away from the heat.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #2

There is some fiberglass heat wrap that you could wrap the exhaust pipe in that area. I would look for a place to put a metal shield between the exhaust and cab. Have you looked for a hole in flooring?

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

2018 29mvp...We just returned from a 5 hour drive in 85 degree temps and passenger mentioned nothing about this. I would have it checked as somethings not right.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
2018 29mvp...We just returned from a 5 hour drive in 85 degree temps and passenger mentioned nothing about this. I would have it checked as somethings not right.
We discovered during our travels today that if we turn the manual dash control from OFF to the VENT position, and fresh air comes into the cab, that the heat condition seems to stop, but not because of the fresh air entering the cab. When we get to our final destination tomorrow and the rain stops, I'm going to do a check underneath to see if I can see anything obviously wrong. If not, is this a Jayco issue or Ford?

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Passenger side heat is a highly discussed topic on the Ford Chassis class c. Ford ships them with no insulation on the floor so the only thing between the vinyl/carpet and the engine header is the metal floor. I removed the seats and flooring and installed a insulation/sound deadening product that made a huge difference.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Passenger side heat is a highly discussed topic on the Ford Chassis class c. Ford ships them with no insulation on the floor so the only thing between the vinyl/carpet and the engine header is the metal floor. I removed the seats and flooring and installed a insulation/sound deadening product that made a huge difference.
They must have made a change...our 2018 29MVP sure seems to have something under the vinyl in the cab area. It has a give to it when you step on it like padding or insulation. We haven't noticed any excess heat. We haven't driven in 100 degree temps yet so that may change. It was 85 degrees and pulling the hills in Texas Hill Country last week pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon everything was fine. Only thing my wife complained about was the a/c freezing her out.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #7

I had same on my greyhawk 31SS wrapped the exhaust, insulate the floor both top and bottom.I used a stick on heat barrier from Summit Racing on the floor underside, them pulled up the carpet put a thick jute with foil barrier down and carpet on top of that no more burning shoes on wife's side and mine is cooler also
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
They must have made a change...our 2018 29MVP sure seems to have something under the vinyl in the cab area. It has a give to it when you step on it like padding or insulation. We haven't noticed any excess heat. We haven't driven in 100 degree temps yet so that may change. It was 85 degrees and pulling the hills in Texas Hill Country last week pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon everything was fine. Only thing my wife complained about was the a/c freezing her out.

You are correct, there is a thin layer of some fiber based insulation but it’s not enough when the temps get up. My wife noticed it when she took her shoes off and the heat was unbearable. Trust me.. If you drive it long enough in higher temps you’ll notice the heat on that side but then again everyone has different tolerances. I also found a set of carpet floor mats that helped as well.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
You are correct, there is a thin layer of some fiber based insulation but it’s not enough when the temps get up. My wife noticed it when she took her shoes off and the heat was unbearable. Trust me.. If you drive it long enough in higher temps you’ll notice the heat on that side but then again everyone has different tolerances. I also found a set of carpet floor mats that helped as well.
Boss has cold feet...maybe that is the difference! She sure hasn't complained!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #10

We have a 31 DS and had the hot floor and dog house issue
I but 2 layers of the Buytal?/Foil soundproofing inside the dog house.
Big drop in Temp and noise.
Carpet mat on the floor helped some.
I plan on putting a heat reflective panels above the headers
rather than wraps.
I have had bad luck with wraps on Cast Iron.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote