Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

2nd A/C Option

One of the options I am heavily weighing, is the 2nd A/C option. On the Greyhawks, this option would replace the 15,000 btu unit with two, 11,000 btu units.

Two questions for those of you that have this option:
!) Does it make a tremendous difference, particularly when you are camping in warmer climates, such as Arizona?

2) Do you still get the Fan-tastic Fan in the rear bedroom?

Thanks for any info or feedback.

2017 Greyhawk 29MV "Gandalf"
“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
JonDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

If you're getting one of the larger Greyhawks, heck *yes*, I'd do the second AC. We're in a 2016 31FK and it's really uncomfortable in ours with the single 15K unit. I'm not talking Death Valley or Las Vegas either. We drove, mid-July thru Colorado - temps outside in the low 100's and it was mid 90's inside the coach.

I'm spending my nights thinking about the ways I can add a second AC to our unit.
It was that unpleasant for us.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

I'd agree on the second AC unit if you're not modding your rig at all. And I'd think hard on it if I had to do it all over again; my only qualm would be the 30 amp ceiling on the rig. Spinning 22k BTUs of AC has to tax that 30 amp supply pretty good. I'm not sure you do the microwave or a coffee pot w/ both on for instance. Again, maybe you can but I'd think you're cutting it close.

I did this mod on my Greyhawk and i worked VERY well for me: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...out-36031.html

Starting on the 4th post down from Mustang65. I DID end up putting the button fastners in after the fact. When the sun was beating on the side of my rig the velcro adhesive couldn't support the weight of the sun shades.

Anyway, you can see out of these shades and they do block a great deal of heat transfer into the coach. In 95 degrees / full sun I was able to keep steady at 78 degrees. I won't complain about it anymore.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I did this mod on my Greyhawk and i worked VERY well for me: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...out-36031.html
I mentioned that post to my wife. But, you cannot drive with these, correct? That's when we were baking - driving down I-80.

In between the sun, and the asphalt (which heated up our fresh water to over 100*) we were miserable. Inside AC blasting, Ford Cabin AC blasting. Doors closed.

Right now, my heads thinking about a portable AC unit. Maybe a 10K BTU unit. They pull about 9-10 amps on 120V. I'm thinking of making an adapter and venting out the roof vent in the bathroom.

$300-$400 investment and if it doesn't work, I'll use the AC unit to cool my shop in the summer.

I've got to do *something*, or the family will mutiny.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

Two A/C units is a must.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

Yes, you probably shouldn't use these burning down the road.

When I'm underway and using the roof mounted AC, I open the 'dump vents' on the unit and don't bother with cooling the whole rig.

Also, if you have vent covers on your rig, open the rearmost one up. It'll pull all that dash AC and roof AC through the rig and out the top/rear.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

I should add I always use the chassis AC *when underway*. That Ford unit is stout and cranks out a lot of cooling; the motor doesn't seem to care one way or the other.