Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Grumpy...we have the two airs and they are both 11,000 units. You are correct that with the power management system installed with the second air option they both run together fine on 30amp service. If something else is turned on like microwave then the management system will shed the rear air until the power comes back then the second air kicks back in.

Both airs are ducted together which really helps move the air throughout the coach. I was a little worried that they weren't but 11,000 units but with both running it really does a good job.

You lose the heatpump option with two airs so I am limited to propane heat only. I use ceramic space heaters most of the time unless it gets real cold.

Maybe a option for the ones who need more a/c would be to get a larger single unit. I think a 15,000 would fit same space as a 13,500. Not sure that would be enough help.

Hey! Glad I saw your post on this. We just got back from our 1st trip with 18 31fs and the rear AC doesn’t seem to be working. Is it suppose to work alone or does the front need to be on also? The fan runs, high and low and when I drop the tstat to get ac to work it kicks on also. I just don’t hear the compressor like I do with the front one. I also don’t feel cold air. I did go to two digital Coleman Mach T-stats and wondering if I messed something up while doing so. Maybe they are not compatible. Any suggestions ? I’m trying to avoid dealership visit esp now during the busy season. My bro is an hvac guy. Maybe I’ll have him get up there and see if it’s working.
Thanks
Pete
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
The attached picture shows just how efficient the two 11,000 BTU A/C units work on my 2017 GreyHawk 29W. The top thermometer tells the outside temperature, while the bottom one shows the interior temperature with the two units working. Before I made the conversion to two A/C units, my original single 15,000 BTU unit would not get my coach below 84 degrees with an outside temperature of only 90. Attachment 41990
What accurite is that and where did you mount the outside sensor?

Thx!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #63

As I recall, I purchased it on line from Walmart. Go on line and I’m sure you can find it. I mounted the outside sensor on the bottom of the front cap, just over the driver’s door. It fits up against the top of the cab and the bottom of the front cap. I mounted it with Velcro so I could get at it easily when a battery change is needed. This keeps it out of the sun for more accurate readings.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Hey! Glad I saw your post on this. We just got back from our 1st trip with 18 31fs and the rear AC doesn’t seem to be working. Is it suppose to work alone or does the front need to be on also? The fan runs, high and low and when I drop the tstat to get ac to work it kicks on also. I just don’t hear the compressor like I do with the front one. I also don’t feel cold air. I did go to two digital Coleman Mach T-stats and wondering if I messed something up while doing so. Maybe they are not compatible. Any suggestions ? I’m trying to avoid dealership visit esp now during the busy season. My bro is an hvac guy. Maybe I’ll have him get up there and see if it’s working.
Thanks
Pete
Pete, make sure the power management system is on 30 amps setting. Scroll through the available systems and be sure rear airconditioner is available. It should be if the fan is running. That new thermostat could be bad? Maybe replace it with the original one and check to see if it runs.

Both mine work great and will run compressors together. There is a delay built in so they both don't try and start at the same time. I usually start the front one first and let it cool a bit before turning on the rear one.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Pete, make sure the power management system is on 30 amps setting. Scroll through the available systems and be sure rear airconditioner is available. It should be if the fan is running. That new thermostat could be bad? Maybe replace it with the original one and check to see if it runs.

Both mine work great and will run compressors together. There is a delay built in so they both don't try and start at the same time. I usually start the front one first and let it cool a bit before turning on the rear one.
Took the digital tstat off and installed the stock manual coleman back. Still no AC. Weird. The fan runs and when i toggle to ac the fan gets stronger so the wires are crossed somwhere. I also found a set of wires that say phone wires in a grey wrap that go nowhere. Trying to find schematics for the tstat. I tried different combos but that didn't seem to help. Is anyone willing to remove their rear AC only tstat and send me a pic of their wires. I would 4ever be grateful!! [emoji23]Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_134243.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	49217
Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #66

Maybe this will help??

Its the back AC tstat on my Esteem 31L aka Grawhawk 31FSP.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_133433.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	49218
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
Maybe this will help??

Its the back AC tstat on my Esteem 31L aka Grawhawk 31FSP.Attachment 49218
Thanks really appreciate it but would you be able to remove the 2 screws and show me where the wires are connected to the coach. It looks like the same tstat!! If not no worries.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #68

Here you go..Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_134606.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	49219
Old 04-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #69

Not sure how much I can pull out. Your photo looks like you were able to pull a bunch.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #70

Inside the hole i see the red wire connected to a yellow and the blue connected to a white. I dont want to try and force them out of the hole at this point.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #71

You are AWESOME!!!! Mine come out so far I'm wondering if these ..... Didn't connect something or maybe I pulled something lose. Glad to see you have the grey wire that's not attached to anything either! I have like 3 different yellows coming from inside though
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #72

I have the 2018 30x. I just recently added the second ac onto the rear. I did a post on the install. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...30x-65415.html

The gray phone wire is for the Fantastic Fan and its wall mounted controller. I had the fan in place of the rear AC. I think the white and yellow loops in the wall are the 12v that runs through the coach. The other two yellow wires that are hanging had no voltage on them. There was a wire pack that had four other wires in it, that went to the AC unit on the roof and that is what the thermostat connected to the AC controller in the AC unit. Also there was an Orange and White wire in the roof. They again were part of the 12v system and allowed the Fantastic Fan to operate. The grey wire just was the communications to the wall mounted controller for the fan. Also email Jayco and ask them for the schematics for your coach. I did and they sent me all the wiring 120v & 12v. I keep them in a binder in the coach now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	49486

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	49487

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	49488

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	49489

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	49490

0082934_G_1-2_060717.pdf

0083378_G_1_060717.pdf

I hope that helps.
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #73

Turns out Jayco never installed the wiring going from the AC board ( red compressor wire) to the Tsat. After multiple hours of trouble shooting I was able to pin point this. I really just thought it was a bad tstat or mis wired down at the tstat. Never in a million yrs did I suspect such incompetent workmanship. They will def be hearing from me. But at last I have 2 working ACs now.
Ooh and now I know what the extra wiring is for so thanks!!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemace View Post
I was thinking of running a 12-2 wire from the AC to the area where the existing 30 amp chord is stored, then use a 12-2 heavy duty extension chord to the campground electrical supply (usually 20 amp). Of course, I wouldn't be able to run both ACs using the generator.
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV, and that is essentially what I did. I removed the Fantastic fan from the hole in the back bedroom. It had been pre-wired by Jayco for a second A/C. I pulled that wire out of the main box and connected 12-3 wire to it and into a 20 amp breaker box I installed under the bed. I then pulled the wire from the breaker through the floor under the bed into the forward electric bay. I installed a 20 amp surge protected outlet box in the bay. I also use a heavy duty 12 gauge extension cord to connect to the pedestal. Works like a charm. In that bay you also have a 15 amp outlet, so if you just want to run the back A/C at night while on the road you can run it off of the generator. I moved the fantastic fan to the bathroom. The A/C is a Dometic brisk II 13,500 BTU and it freezes us out. More work than I wanted to do, but the estimates to have an RV tech do it were outrageous. You never know what you can do until you try.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote