Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
X2! I wouldn't own a RV over 23'-25' without 2 a/c units...period!

You are absolutely right on the money with that statement. I do, however, believe that the older A/C units were more efficient than the new ones. Or maybe before they were ducted and blew directly into the coach, BTU for BTU they did more. I think a lot of coolness is lost attempting to keep poorly insulated ducts cool before it gets into the coach living space. If the ducts were insulated better, the whole system would be much more efficient. Just sayin’. But you are correct with your statement.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
You are absolutely right on the money with that statement. I do, however, believe that the older A/C units were more efficient than the new ones. Or maybe before they were ducted and blew directly into the coach, BTU for BTU they did more. I think a lot of coolness is lost attempting to keep poorly insulated ducts cool before it gets into the coach living space. If the ducts were insulated better, the whole system would be much more efficient. Just sayin’. But you are correct with your statement.
Yep...funny you mentioned the old units. What I like about the Coleman 11K's in our Greyhawk is they both have the old style covers inside the coach and I can open the direct vents on each end to speed cool air coming out.

Many coaches don't have that option anymore. You can't access the a/c from the inside. Maybe they are quieter that way but I'm with you on opening those vents on the cover!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Yep...funny you mentioned the old units. What I like about the Coleman 11K's in our Greyhawk is they both have the old style covers inside the coach and I can open the direct vents on each end to speed cool air coming out.

Many coaches don't have that option anymore. You can't access the a/c from the inside. Maybe they are quieter that way but I'm with you on opening those vents on the cover!

What’s also neat is when you open the inside cover vents, it does not reduce the amount of air flow through the duct vents. I am totally happy with my conversion (somewhat expensive, but well worth the money). I just wish the option was available when I purchased my coach, instead of it becoming available a few months afterward. Oh well, such is life in the big city !! Tomorrow we are off to Pendleton, OR from spending the night in Spokane.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #44

The 15K Unit here has bypass vents so you can blow most of the air into the coach. Still too doggone hot.

We're in the middle of a real-world test of the second, portable AC unit. Should be in Las Vegas in about 5 hours - prime time to test it.

So far, I'm still pleased with the cooling. Its keeping the main coach much cooler. Two irritations, first it's still in the way (not too bad) and second, I've got to pull the wheels/casters off. It rolls around if we take a corner or need to brake a bit hard.

But, all in all, it's better than being baked alive.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #45

2nd air conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
The 15K Unit here has bypass vents so you can blow most of the air into the coach. Still too doggone hot.

We're in the middle of a real-world test of the second, portable AC unit. Should be in Las Vegas in about 5 hours - prime time to test it. [emoji4]

So far, I'm still pleased with the cooling. Its keeping the main coach much cooler. Two irritations, first it's still in the way (not too bad) and second, I've got to pull the wheels/casters off. It rolls around if we take a corner or need to brake a bit hard.

But, all in all, it's better than being baked alive.

Currently in Pendleton, 0R you can see the outside temp on top and lower is the thermostat with interior temp with two 11,000 BTU Units on in my GreyHawk. If you look closely, you can see the amps they pull on the EMS.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	42016

Sorry, when I took this picture one of the compressors had just cut off and only one was running with both fans on high. The actual amp draw with both fully running is 23 Amos.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemace View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to add a 2nd air conditioner in a 2017 Greyhawk 29ME? Mine can't keep up with the heat over 90 degrees!
I have a 29MV (not so far different from your coach) We spent Fourth of July '16 in Rosewell NM 117* temps. With only one AC it was unbearable Late '17 we had the Fan-tastic Fan over the bed removed and place in the bathroom.

We had a 13,500 BTU AC placed over the bed, The rear AC is wired to an exterior plug to be used with a 10awg extension cord to the 120 plug on the pole outside.

This move allows us to keep the front AC (15,000BTU). When the rear AC is in use, the wife has free use of all appliance in the kitchen area.

This weekend in 95* weather, the rear AC with use of a large fan worked very well. The front AC was set on 75* and come on a couple of times in the four days we were camping... We are happy campers ...
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
I have a 29MV (not so far different from your coach) We spent Fourth of July '16 in Rosewell NM 117* temps. With only one AC it was unbearable Late '17 we had the Fan-tastic Fan over the bed removed and place in the bathroom.

We had a 13,500 BTU AC placed over the bed, The rear AC is wired to an exterior plug to be used with a 10awg extension cord to the 120 plug on the pole outside.

This move allows us to keep the front AC (15,000BTU). When the rear AC is in use, the wife has free use of all appliance in the kitchen area.

This weekend in 95* weather, the rear AC with use of a large fan worked very well. The front AC was set on 75* and come on a couple of times in the four days we were camping... We are happy campers ...

I agree that sounds great, but what happens when you dry camp like so many of us actually prefer to do? There is no external electric to connect to, thus no second A/C. I also swapped my Fantastic Fan to the bathroom when I put on the 2nd A/C. There are times when that is all that is required ... but not in 100 degree weather.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post

Sounds like a great idea but...Not all campgrounds allow this or even have provision for you to hook up a second plug. I've seen lots of power pedestals that have only the 30 amp or 50 amp plug no 120volt plug.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea but...Not all campgrounds allow this or even have provision for you to hook up a second plug. I've seen lots of power pedestals that have only the 30 amp or 50 amp plug no 120volt plug.
You refer to a 15a or 20a outlet I presume? You have to be prepared for what is there and adapt. With your 2nd ac on a seperate power feed, you could use what ever was available. If the pedestal had 30 and 50, one could be adapted to feed your 120v extension that powers the 2nd ac.

There are many places that you will not have access to power for the 2nd ac.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You refer to a 15a or 20a outlet I presume? You have to be prepared for what is there and adapt. With your 2nd ac on a seperate power feed, you could use what ever was available. If the pedestal had 30 and 50, one could be adapted to feed your 120v extension that powers the 2nd ac.

There are many places that you will not have access to power for the 2nd ac.
Yes...I meant a 20amp outlet.

I'm not sure if they make a 50amp splitter cord that would give him a 30 and a 20? Then he could just pay the extra for 50amp service?

I know the way he is running that second a/c will work but might get balked at by some campground owners. I know many have started locking the breakers on the poles because some have been plugging into multiple outlets.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #51

Lessons learned. Our purchase of our 2016 Greyhawk 29MV five weeks ago are teaching me some lessons. AC being the biggest. When we looked at the coach the 1 AC unit was running and was nice a cool inside. This week we are on our second trip out and our first stop here in Florida was a small RV Park in Inglis, Florida where we have stayed before. The only sites available were open with no trees. I’m sure you can guess the rest. My dogs hated me that day. Left there for Dunedin, Florida where I know they had me a shady spot and now everyone is happy at 76 degrees. We will be looking at all options and following this thread closely. Stay Cool Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Lessons learned. Our purchase of our 2016 Greyhawk 29MV five weeks ago are teaching me some lessons.

We will be looking at all options and following this thread closely. Stay Cool Jimmyd
well this trip was supposed to be the real test. as we were headed thru Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, our Onan Generator made a horrific noise and died in Utah. So we've been roasted alive, while driving, in the coach. 115 *F outside, and 105 *F inside.

In Vegas, we decided to try the Circus Circus RV park. Direct sun, blacktop that had to be one million degrees. Once we arrived and plugged into shore power, we had both of them going. It certainly helped.

Both AC units running brought the coach down to 85* F in mid day. And low enough at night that we were able to sleep comfortably.

If I wasn't totally bummed out about what I expect to be a huge repair bill for the generator, I'd be more excited about the portable AC unit. It does make a difference.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 AM   #53

[QUOTE=pconroy;665624]well this trip was supposed to be the real test. as we were headed thru Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, our Onan Generator made a horrific noise and died in Utah. So we've been roasted alive, while driving, in the coach. 115 *F outside, and 105 *F inside.

In Vegas, we decided to try the Circus Circus RV park. Direct sun, blacktop that had to be one million degrees. Once we arrived and plugged into shore power, we had both of them going. It certainly helped.

Both AC units running brought the coach down to 85* F in mid day. And low enough at night that we were able to sleep comfortably.

If I wasn't totally bummed out about what I expect to be a huge repair bill for the generator, I'd be more excited about the portable AC unit. It does make

Now that is way too hot. Hope you can get someone to fix the generator quickly. Jimmyd
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:

I'm not sure if they make a 50 amp splitter cord you plug a 30 that would give him a 30 and a 20? Then he could just pay the extra for 50 amp service?

I know the way he is running that second a/c will work but might get balked at by some campground owners. I know many have started locking the breakers on the poles because some have been plugging into multiple outlets.
As you have already experienced there are many different power configurations encountered when traveling. With 30a, you may find a pedestal with 30a and 20a that may work. All the mays and mights are what make it interesting.

We camp a lot in Georgia SP's and the older ones come standard with 2 - 30a receptacles. Of course campers adapt and you can buy a adapter that you can plug a 30a amp into each one and it terminates in a 50a plug that allows a camper to power both ac's and pretend like he has 50a, although it's on 2 - 30s instead of 2 - 50's.

Adapt and preparation are the key words in order to be prepared to use what's available to your advantage. I have a box loaded with adapters that I don't use often, but at times it's the difference between glamping and boondocking.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #55

Quote:

I'm not sure if they make a 50amp splitter cord that would give him a 30 and a 20? Then he could just pay the extra for 50amp service?

They produce such a thing... It's what I use for my setup most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
They produce such a thing... It's what I use for my setup most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I knew there had to be something out there like this. Good to know for those searching for second a/c options. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #57

Yes it is
I have 2 11000 btus . Works very good. I have power management system. 2 acs use 18 to 20 amps. 29mv.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #58

Yes it does. Can't start at the same time
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #59

2nd A.C.

There are splitters available that will plug into the 50 amp supply, and split it into a 30 amp & 20 amp. Of course, you would have to pay for a 50 amp site! That's what I am going to do!
Mikemace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #60

AC Update

We recently added a 2nd 15,000 BTU ac to the rear bedroom on our 2016 Greyhawk 29 MV. It was completed at Burton Campers in Calera, Al. and they did a great install.
We now can freeze meat in this Coach.
It’s on a separate 30 amp circuit and can only be used at RV Parks not for boondocking which works for us.
We didn’t give up our front ac/heat pump.
As of now we are crossing the country and have only needed it once. Weather along the way hasn’t been too hot yet. The real test will be on our return trip in June.
Thank you to all for your guidance with this upgrade. Jimmyd