Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

2nd air conditioner

Anyone know if it is possible to add a 2nd air conditioner in a 2017 Greyhawk 29ME? Mine can't keep up with the heat over 90 degrees!
Mikemace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

It was an option, but it would have also included the power management system to allow both to run together.They would have been 2 13,500 units.

With that said the wiring may already be in the roof. Remove the rear vent trim ring to see if the wire is there. You will need to install the power management controls if you do add it.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #3

When we ordered our trailer, ordering a second air conditioner also required having the 50amp service.

If there are 2 air conditioners, they couldn't both be used at the same time with 30amp service, could they?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
When we ordered our trailer, ordering a second air conditioner also required having the 50amp service.

If there are 2 air conditioners, they couldn't both be used at the same time with 30amp service, could they?
With the "included" power management, yes.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemace View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to add a 2nd air conditioner in a 2017 Greyhawk 29ME? Mine can't keep up with the heat over 90 degrees!
You're not alone. It's unbearable in our 2016 31FK.

Here's a recap of what I think our options are:
- one person here popped off the Fantastic Fan in the back and dropped on a 13.5K Soft Start AC unit
- they're pleased with the results
- but fishing the 120V AC line was a chore and performed by their RV tech
- someone else asked Jayco about it and Jayco said "No! That section of the roof is not reinforced like it is on newer models"
- you'll still have to be careful not to overload the circuits on gen or shore power. (Ie. don't have both AC units running and start the microwave)

Here's what I'm trying first. I'm running a test of it as we speak.

I popped onto Craislist and picked up a lightly used Portable AC unit. Paid about $100

https://www.lg.com/us/images/air-con...y/medium02.jpg

Now the hard part is venting.

A few months ago, I cobbled up some ductwork to vent it out the bathroom fan vent. Was ugly, in the way - not good.

Tonight, I cobbled up a shorter piece of duct and am venting it out a window.

We'll see - I'll give it a test run tomorrow and see if the two AC units make a difference.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #6

Our 2017 Redhawk had the rear vent framed for a second AC unit but no power. Someone on the forum recently had Jayco confirm that the 2017 units and up are framed for the second AC.

I added a 13.5k power saver unit and ran a second 15amp circuit. There is a power outlet in the cargo area that I can plug the 2nd AC into while on generator power and can run both ACs as long as I don't turn much else on.

We've had it installed about 18 months and covered probably 3/4k plus miles and it works great.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It was an option, but it would have also included the power management system to allow both to run together.They would have been 2 13,500 units.

With that said the wiring may already be in the roof. Remove the rear vent trim ring to see if the wire is there. You will need to install the power management controls if you do add it.
Grumpy...we have the two airs and they are both 11,000 units. You are correct that with the power management system installed with the second air option they both run together fine on 30amp service. If something else is turned on like microwave then the management system will shed the rear air until the power comes back then the second air kicks back in.

Both airs are ducted together which really helps move the air throughout the coach. I was a little worried that they weren't but 11,000 units but with both running it really does a good job.

You lose the heatpump option with two airs so I am limited to propane heat only. I use ceramic space heaters most of the time unless it gets real cold.

Maybe a option for the ones who need more a/c would be to get a larger single unit. I think a 15,000 would fit same space as a 13,500. Not sure that would be enough help.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:

Thanks Grumpy! I will remove the vent trim and check for the wiring!
Old 07-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #9

I once read from another web page where they installed a 10k unit and ran a shielded exterior cable. He stated although he had to modify the exterior wall mounted receptacle, and uses a external drop cord to the power pole. He only uses the second unit 10% of the camping experience.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:

Yes. I did it through a dealer with the blessing and instruction of Jayco. I installed two 11,000 BTU units, just as Jayco does for their option (I have a 2017 GreyHawk 29W and the option came out just after I took delivery of my unit). The coach was prewired and already had the Energy Management System preinstalled from the factory.
I live in AZ and they work together exceptionally well. The 15000 BTU unit with the heat pump that came with the coach was absolutely worthless in anything above 85 degrees !! Losing the heat pump was no concern because, even in freezing temperatures, the gas unit does the job easily. It is not a cheap conversion, but well worth the expense. Otherwise, the MH would be in hibernation each summer, rendered useless.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #11

I was thinking of running a 12-2 wire from the AC to the area where the existing 30 amp chord is stored, then use a 12-2 heavy duty extension chord to the campground electrical supply (usually 20 amp). Of course, I wouldn't be able to run both ACs using the generator.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
I was thinking of running a 12-2 wire from the AC to the area where the existing 30 amp chord is stored, then use a 12-2 heavy duty extension chord to the campground electrical supply (usually 20 amp). Of course, I wouldn't be able to run both ACs using the generator.

I guess if you are in an RV park all of the time, that might work out, but I dry camp most of the time and only go to parks when absolutely necessary (I like the wilderness, peace and serenity) ..... otherwise, I would stay in hotels and save the cost of an RV.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #13

We use our RV as a traveling home. It's me, the wife, and 2 dogs. Never boondock. To each his own!
Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

Some MH's have a option that allows 2- 11k btu units. The control circuit won't allow both to start at the same time. That's how I understand it.

I do not know if it can be added aftermarket.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Yes. I did it through a dealer with the blessing and instruction of Jayco. I installed two 11,000 BTU units, just as Jayco does for their option (I have a 2017 GreyHawk 29W and the option came out just after I took delivery of my unit). The coach was prewired and already had the Energy Management System preinstalled from the factory.
Then adding a second unit could be done very easily.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Then adding a second unit could be done very easily.

Keep in mind that there are always things that do not meet the eye before getting into such a large project, if it is to be done correctly and have everything working as it is supposed to and be completely functional.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Some MH's have a option that allows 2- 11k btu units. The control circuit won't allow both to start at the same time. That's how I understand it.

I do not know if it can be added aftermarket.

I don’t believe you can run 2 13,500 BTU A/C units on 30 amps. This is why Jayco offers 2 11,000 BTU units with their dual option.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
I don’t believe you can run 2 13,500 BTU A/C units on 30 amps. This is why Jayco offers 2 11,000 BTU units with their dual option.
You are correct. After I posted I edited the post.

I have seen rigs with a switch that you could choose vacuum or fireplace.

When we are on a 30a site, it’s one ac or the other.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #19

Just an update on my experiment for those of us not framed and wired for two ACs. Cobbled up a prototype and gave it a test run this weekend.

It works but is far from ideal.
I also haven't had the chance to test it in full sun and high 90's.

The LG unit I found is 10K BTU and pulls about 9-10 amps.
Attached Thumbnails
20180704_115451.jpg   20180704_115545.jpg  
Old 07-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #20

Just an update on my Portable Room AC unit experiment. Today we've got full sun and temps in the 90's. I've got both units (the 15K Roof and 10K Portable) plugged in and running.

Started at 9:30am and the inside temp was 71*,
At 11, the inside temp was down to 67*.
At noon the temp's up a bit to 69*.

1:00pm, sun hitting full broadside - inside's up to 73*. [ Exterior temp gauge, in full sun (no shade) show's 109*. Weather channel shows us at 93* outside. ]

Which is so much better than the high 80's I would have expected.

I guess if I don't mind pulling 25A all of the time, this approach might work for us.