Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

30 amp

I am looking at a Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS, class c, It has 2 a/c units, I read somewhere the camper is only 30 amp. Can you run 2 a/c, microwave and hot water heater on 30 amps. Can anyone shed some light on this . Currently I have an Jayco 32 rlts fifth wheel with 50 amps and have no problems running all.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
I am looking at a Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS, class c, It has 2 a/c units, I read somewhere the camper is only 30 amp. Can you run 2 a/c, microwave and hot water heater on 30 amps. Can anyone shed some light on this . Currently I have an Jayco 32 rlts fifth wheel with 50 amps and have no problems running all.
Short answer, no. But I would make sure it's 30 amp. Sometimes if they only have 30 amps, the hot water will be only propane, which can be an issue if you stay at one sight for any length of time. You have to unhook to fill your propane tanks, or, carry a spare tank with you.

Remember a 30 amp service gives you 3600 watts of power available. A 50 amp service gives you 12,000 watts of power available...HUGE difference.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
That unit comes with a "Power Management System" that will shed whatever it needs to for the proper load. There are numerous owners on JOF with that system.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

We have that system with 30 amp and 2 roof airs...Yes you can run both airs. As Grumpy said there is a power management system that will shed one a/c if needed when something else is used. Works great! Never have to pay for 50 amp again.

Be advised that the 2 a/c's are 11K BTU units each with no heat pump and my power system monitor says they are pulling about 11amps each. They do a great job cooling the motorhome in 100 degree temps. Only heat is the furnace but we carry portable electric heaters that do the job and only use the furnace on really cold mornings to knock the chill off.
Attached Thumbnails
7A4BE1EA-8DA3-426C-9427-9586286F6DEB.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We have that system with 30 amp and 2 roof airs...Yes you can run both airs. As Grumpy said there is a power management system that will shed one a/c if needed when something else is used. Works great! Never have to pay for 50 amp again.

Be advised that the 2 a/c's are 11K BTU units each with no heat pump and my power system monitor says they are pulling about 11amps each. They do a great job cooling the motorhome in 100 degree temps. Only heat is the furnace but we carry portable electric heaters that do the job and only use the furnace on really cold mornings to knock the chill off.

I have one with dual air also and totally agree with Cabinetmaker. The only thing I will add to this is that we find no need for any additional space heaters. The gas furnace works very well in freezing temperatures, but will run much more often. We dry camp mostly and when doing so we don’t have the luxury of a plug in, where one could use space heaters if so desired. One could save on propane that way. Definitely buy the unit with 2 a/c units, or you will wish you did.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

I have not experienced any issues popping circuit breakers on my Greyhawk 31FS, and I live in Texas.
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

I've blown the pedestal 30 amp breaker a few times. The breakers are usually well weathered and the 30 amp socket well used. 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and I have no issues.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I've blown the pedestal 30 amp breaker a few times. The breakers are usually well weathered and the 30 amp socket well used. 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and I have no issues.
X-2 It's a shame CG owners don't keep them repaired, they're not that expensive to replace. $8.00 at Lowes or HD.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #9

I'll echo the effectiveness of the power management system. I also have 2x11K AC units, and the power management system has worked very well. I've never thrown a breaker with this unit and it runs on 30A shore power.

I tend to prioritize the ACs over just about anything else though (it gets HOT here), so I will often run the water heater and the fridge on propane to limit their AC power usage; the water heater on AC uses something like 12A IIRC! As Cabinetmaker said, the AC units use 11A each while running, so if both units are running, and the WH is on electric, one of the AC units will cut out to accommodate the WH, and I don't want that. YES, our WH is a gas/electric 6-gal rapid recovery unit; I will only run the electric side if we are forced to take multiple showers in a short period. Otherwise the gas works just fine (now that I've replaced the defective OEM control board with a Dinosaur board).

It's nice if I want to run the microwave though. I don't have to worry about manually dropping one of the AC units (or throwing a breaker), the power management system will handle it for me.

Furthermore, I will NOT be without 2 AC units ever again.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote