Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

31FS fresh water tank broken

Hi guys and gals, this is my first post to this forum. I’ve owned my Jayco since it was new. It’s an ‘09 greyhawk 31FS. We love it, it’s got 40k on the odometer.
My problem is, the fresh water tank has broken where it clamps to the body. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know of a company to get a new one?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #3

Hello! I see you're in the Los Angeles area, so I'll recommend a couple of RV shops I've used. I'm in the San Bernardino area. Richardson's RV in Riverside is a certified Jayco dealer and repair shop. Fritts Ford in Riverside has an RV specific repair department. And, Redlands Truck and RV does excellent work, but is a little pricey. Richardson's treated my good; loved the work at Redlands Truck and RV in spite of price; and, haven't used Fritts Ford, but I've heard fairly good things about them. Mrs. Fritts is huge police supporter, so she'll always have my vote! Hope it helps
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Mines a 2017 FS and I admit I looked at that tank support with suspicion. Is it coming loose or is it actually cracked? Those big metal wrap around straps are not supports, there just there to hold it for the final install. I do think there are folks on the forum who have made tank support reinforcements on their models, not just the FS. One reason I don't run with full water is to keep it from over stressing the support.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies, and the welcome.
It’s actually cracked/broken and leaking if filled more than 2/3 full. It’s at the rear of the tank on the passenger side. I took some pics, but my phone needs charging.

I’m considering replacing it myself, looking for a company to get the tank from.

P/s I’m a heavy equipment mechanic
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Just wondering if it might be possible to plastic weld it. Remove it, plastic weld, then fill it on the driveway and see if it holds. I need to correct myself on my above post. I was mixing up the black and fresh tank. The fresh tank looks well supported, but maybe not in your situation.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #7

On our lightly used 2008, the previous owner drove three screws to hold up a shelf into the water tank. While I ended up using epoxy to patch it up, I did find a supplier online thru Google:

https://www.plastic-mart.com/category/33/rv-water-tanks
Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

Here are the pics, the crack/break is right where the weight hangs from that clamp
Attached Thumbnails
51E01923-71E1-4A9A-9D04-286C8AD118A0.jpg   B35F2DB1-5480-4699-8E9A-984A968B0FAD.jpg  
Supergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Team

You may need to call Jayco customer service. They may give you the supplier. Have the vin # handy when you call. I have looked at websites that showed dimensions of replacement tanks, even had a grey tank added to an old camper years back. I would try a repair and better support first.

google can be your friend: RV Fresh Water Tanks | Fifth Wheel/Travel Trailer fresh water tank | Replacement RV Water Tank | Potable Water RV Tank

Another has already been posted : Plastic-mart.com
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

I have a 2009 Greyhawk 31SS I have looked at that water tank hate to think what it would take to get it out, almost looks as if the complete leaf spring assembly would have to come off to get it out.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #11

I have emailed Jayco, just waiting for a response. They’ve been very helpful in the past.

Plastic-mart does have anything with those dimensions from what I can tell on their website
Old 09-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #12

I repaired a fresh water tank in an old airstream. I had added a clean out, so I used the leftover piece, melted it with a soldering iron, into the crack, worked great but don’t breathe the fumes.
rogerthedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Very nice picture Goob. I zoomed in on it and I wonder if there could be a sharp edge/burr on that steel support that may have started that stress fracture. When you get that tank out, maybe carefully run your gloved finger across that support to check it so it doesn't do it to the new one. It looks very hard to de-burr that if you needed to. The weight of full water plus the dips in the road magnify the weight. I recently contacted Jayco and they we're very responsive and gave me a ton of good material. I hope they help you. Call Jayco customer service number their really nice.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I have a 2009 Greyhawk 31SS I have looked at that water tank hate to think what it would take to get it out, almost looks as if the complete leaf spring assembly would have to come off to get it out.
It looks like the same arrangement as my '14 32FS; after disconnecting the tank it is drawn out sideways through the wheel well, after the tires are removed of course. Easy peasy.
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #15

Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergoober View Post
Here are the pics, the crack/break is right where the weight hangs from that clamp

I have a very similar problem and hoping anyone can help. Has anyone removed the tank and if so how? I got the wheels off, disconnected everything (not easy peasy btw), however the tank does not pass through the wheel well for removal.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #16

How is the supply chain on Jayco replacement tanks? I may have a broken gray water tank still under warranty. Taking it in a couple of weeks and I don't want to miss most of the whole stinking camping season because of a broken supply chain.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I have a very similar problem and hoping anyone can help. Has anyone removed the tank and if so how? I got the wheels off, disconnected everything (not easy peasy btw), however the tank does not pass through the wheel well for removal.
Thanks for the info. I almost took the other guys advice. Did you figure out how to replace??
Dwfajen is offline   Reply With Quote