Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Question 31FS Stairs Not Working Right

Need some help, friends. The stairs on my 2015 GH 31FS aren't acting right. Here is the scenario.

Background:
I have had both the the cab and house batteries out of the coach for several months (winter) and they have been on trickle chargers at my house. Both cab and house batteries are full. We are leaving on our first trip for the year (late, I know), and my stairs are not functioning correctly.

Problem
  • When attached to shore power or just on battery power, the stairs will only extend once...but then will not retract or extend again with the opening and closing of the door.
  • If I turn the Engine power on (even to just ACC), the stairs retract and extend correctly with the opening and closing of the door.

The door magnet is good, because it's working with the engine power (ACC), and the stairs are well lubed (I keep that done).

Did I trip something with the removal and replacement of the batteries? Could there be a fuse issue? Where should I look? I've read all the forums and can't find anything that fits this. It's gotta be something off the house battery, right?

Thanks
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #2

Many Jayco motorhomes operate the stairs off of the chassis battery. I suppose the reasoning is that if the engine starts and runs, the steps will retract before driving even if the coach batteries are off or dead. I am wondering if a fuse or solenoid is acting up causing your issue? Somehow the steps get fed power when the key is on, but not otherwise.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Many Jayco motorhomes operate the stairs off of the chassis battery. I suppose the reasoning is that if the engine starts and runs, the steps will retract before driving even if the coach batteries are off or dead. I am wondering if a fuse or solenoid is acting up causing your issue? Somehow the steps get fed power when the key is on, but not otherwise.

Right, any ideas where I should look for fuse or solenoid? Think I should just “reboot”, by disconnecting the chassis battery and connecting it again?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #4

Some units have a pushbutton resetting circuit breaker near the chassis battery or batteries. On my Seneca it is located on a bracket above my chassis batteries, but I am afraid I can't say on your unit. But when that breaker is tripped, various "weird" things happen. When reset, everything goes back to normal.

Maybe Jayco does something similar on your unit, try looking for a 12-volt breaker with a pushbutton reset near your engine battery.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #5

I went out last night to check the chassis battery and see if there was. Reset. Couldn’t find one, but I tightened things up on the battery posts and lo and behold the stairs are working again. I think I must have disconnected and reconnected the battery and reset something without knowing. All better now, thank you!!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #6

Wow Hackettstown NJ. My son lives there, both my kids went to Centenary. I have driven up Rt 31 so many times I know where every pot hole is.

I just took my rv out last weekend for the first time and low and behold, when we were getting ready to leave, I start the engine and the auto steps would not re-tract. They were dead. The screen door sensor doesn't work and it looks like the magnet got knocked off.
I end up having to remove the motor connecting pin and tie them up so I could get home. I'm a DIY guy so I'm trying to figure out the problem but It is under warranty so I also don't want to mess with that. I look forward to weeing what you figure out
Old 06-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201822j View Post
Wow Hackettstown NJ. My son lives there, both my kids went to Centenary. I have driven up Rt 31 so many times I know where every pot hole is.

I just took my rv out last weekend for the first time and low and behold, when we were getting ready to leave, I start the engine and the auto steps would not re-tract. They were dead. The screen door sensor doesn't work and it looks like the magnet got knocked off.
I end up having to remove the motor connecting pin and tie them up so I could get home. I'm a DIY guy so I'm trying to figure out the problem but It is under warranty so I also don't want to mess with that. I look forward to weeing what you figure out
Found this video that shows how to lubricate steps...but more importantly, it shows the components of the steps and wiring, which might be helpful.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

Our 2009 Greyhawk had a switch to turn the steps off and on. When the switch was in the On position, the steps would extend and retract every time the door was open and closed. If the switch was in the Off position, the steps would extend when the door was open and would stay extended all the time until the switch was moved to the On position. This switch was with the other switches by the door.

The engine overrides the switch, so if you start the engine, no matter what position the steps are in, they will retract. If you open the door when the engine is running, the steps will extend. If the door is opened when the engine is started, the steps will stay out.

When we first bought our Motorhome new, the steps worked fine. After a few months and a few camping trips, the steps started acting erratically. They wouldn't retract all the way and then a couple times, the steps extended while we were driving. The dealer stated it the steps were wired incorrectly. Ironically enough, the side view mirror warmers stopped working when the steps started working erratically. Once the steps were fixed, the warmers started working again.

Fast forward 6 years and the motor started to die. The steps would extend, but not fully retract. Then they stopped working altogether right before we were about to leave for a trip. I just grabbed a step stool. When we arrived at the campground, they started working again. When we got home, they stopped working. After troubleshooting, I ended up replacing the motor.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, fuse, house battery, steps