Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #21

So we are towing the jeep. Thinking of taking 10 to Phoenix as many have suggested. Then parking the RV at a hotel or whatnot (remember I get 8 nights paid for) and then driving the jeep north so if something bad did happen we have the Rubi keeping us on track and possibly getting us out of any jams we may find our selves in. Then hitting 40 to Kingman and turn north for hoover, then taking west to Barstow as suggested and take I5 all the way to Tacoma.

May be the best to get everything in and still be safe / have fun!
Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #22

I see you're coming up to my part of the world. Enjoy that drive! We're heading down to the SW in September.

I had a 6 week vacation at Ft. Lewis in '68 in preparation for further adventures.

As you'll find out, the traffic around JBLM is horrendous. We drive through there frequently as our kids live in the foothills of Mt. Hood. We always make sure we're not in that area after about 2 in the afternoon.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1083 View Post
https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!15...91057913528677

That is the route I was going to take. If you're saying take I10, at which point should I head that way? I was going to take this trip de-winterized so we could stay in it along the way. I do have the option for hotels, but it seems silly to use the hotels when I have this behemoth.

Please advise?
No reason reason to not use the camper after winterizing. Everything including the furnace and toilet will be operational. Only the plumbing is winterized. Use jug of water to flush and another to use in the galley. Avoiding snow will be your biggest issue, you can handle the cold. Towing in the snow in the flat or hills is not recommended.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #24

Your new route looks great. As others have said, you may want to winterize in Phoenix to be on the safe side. Carrying jugs of water for the bathroom and kitchen is a good idea. After leaving Phoenix, you'll be driving through the mountains and high country, including the high desert until just before Bakersfield. The high desert can easily get below freezing at night during the winter months. When you cross the new bridge by Hoover Dam, you can see the dam but just barely. Best to maybe park RV in Boulder and take your Jeep back to the dam. You can also walk out on the new bridge and have an awesome view of the dam and Lake Mead. Once you make it to Bakersfield, you'll be in the low country again and the temps should be fine until you get up near Mt. Shasta and the Oregon border. Have fun!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #25

I really appreciate everyone's help so far. I am very glad to have joined this forum. I had no idea the possible dangers, money lost, or safety issues. For that I truly thank you all. I hope I'm not bothering anyone by asking these questions.

Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #26

I think getting through the Oregon Passes is going to be your biggest challenge. We've been having record snowfall and cold for 5 weeks straight. I-5 just north of the Oregon border can be a major hassle during winter storms. Bring chains for your rig and be prepared to stay a night or two at the border while waiting for the pass to clear.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I think getting through the Oregon Passes is going to be your biggest challenge. We've been having record snowfall and cold for 5 weeks straight. I-5 just north of the Oregon border can be a major hassle during winter storms. Bring chains for your rig and be prepared to stay a night or two at the border while waiting for the pass to clear.

No no no. Don't say that.

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #28

Record snows all over is what I'm reading. It's 8* F outside here in Denver and we've got about 9" on the ground.

Good thing about Colorado is that the snow is usually melted off the roads in a day or three.

Go slow.
If you're not used to winter driving and you encounter it, just pull over and wait it out. You've got a house on wheels. No need to push it.

Also agree with you can use somethings while winterized. We keep two gallons of RV Antifreeze inside the coach when we winter camp and if we use the toilet, we flush with mostly water and then add some pink stuff.

I posted that while my Greyhawk sipped propane all summer, it slurped it during the winter excursions. So, not only would I keep an eye out for gas stations, I'd keep a watch for propane refill too.

Toss a couple of electric space heaters in the coach - you can stay warm by running the genny. Read about how folks keep their fridge warm in really cold temps.

Go slow.
Enjoy the drive.
pconroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #29

I agree with heaters. We grabbed some because our overnight in Asheville was 17 degrees and it was gone. We will de winter until we get at least to Phoenix and then watch what is happening the morning we head out. I'll dump fresh and winterize if we have to. Winter driving I'm good with. Not with this big guy though. So slow is fine with me. Like I said I get 7 hotel nights paid. We can always find one that will let us park in their lot since I'm getting a room and we can catch up on laundry etc.

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #30

Even when the weather is not severe, the wind is screaming along 1-40 through west Texas and New Mexico. Plan your fuel stops. You don't want to be low out west with no phone service.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #31

To timbo and to others who are serving or have served in our military....Thank You! Not everyone is cut out for such a commitment, we are a safer nation because of your commitment, I will support our military until my last breath.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
s. You don't want to be low out west with no phone service.

Many moons ago, I lived in Dallas and some friends and I piled in our cars and drove to Wolf Creek, CO to ski.

I still remember the nothingness of West Texas.
I hit "scan for next station" on the FM radio and watched it scan and scan and scan and scan...

The upside was, we had the car running about 100 mph.
Made good time.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Many moons ago, I lived in Dallas and some friends and I piled in our cars and drove to Wolf Creek, CO to ski.

I hit "scan for next station" on the FM radio and watched it scan and scan and scan and scan...

Made good time.

The nothingness is the best part.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Made good time.

We did the same thing from Dallas, but that was pre-kids! We actually contemplated moving to Amarillo because of the nothingness, but that never happened...The DW's 1st question was how far is the mall? I didn't have an answer, so I was immediately overruled! Oh well...we still love the Dallas area.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #35

https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!16...23584679125903

So I had a question on this route. From those with all the good ideas, y'all have been so helpful I love it. Should I stay through Fresno and Modesto, or hope back on the I5 at Bakersfield and then head up?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
.we still love the Dallas area.
When we were there, the Bass Bros had just finished pouring in a ton of money to refurb downtown Fort Worth.

Pre-kids too, wife and I spent a lot of time in Cow Town.

West end, Dallas, was fine - but we really enjoyed downtown Ft. Worth in those days.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #37

Quote:
No no no. Don't say that.

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL

Sorry just telling the truth. We are breaking 60-80yr snowfall records up here right now.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #38

Welcome to Tacoma soldier, I was station there myself I did twenty-eight years in the Army and love it. When I got out I just stay here and glad I did, you might want to check the passes because like some have said they might be close. Enjoy your trip and just take your time on those road. Thank you for your service, I was in doing the Vietnam era and love it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #39

Quote:
https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!16...23584679125903

So I had a question on this route. From those with all the good ideas, y'all have been so helpful I love it. Should I stay through Fresno and Modesto, or hope back on the I5 at Bakersfield and then head up?
Good route... Staying OFF I-15 north of Vegas is very smart. Watch the weather and if things get too cold, you can detour some of the trip up costal highways as needed.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #40

I do that route most every winter. From Hoover a fun one for me is along lake mead shore to Overton, then I usually go to Ely to jackpot to twinfalls I'd just to avoid traffic then 1-84 to oregon. Keep an eye on weather through the Blue Mtn. Between Baker City & Pendletoneed. To avoid Mtn passes I would go to Portland and 1-5 north. The Foxfire rv park along Mead is very pretty.I hope that name is right.
Just some ideas...thanks for serving our country
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote