Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #1

407 Ontario tolls???

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking a class C on the 407 across Toronto? Looking at their toll calculator it seems that you must have a transponder if over 5000 kg GVW. Not looking forward to doing the 401 route but the apparent cost and associated penalty for non transponder are making me wonder. We only use that route about every 3 years so not about to rent a transponder. Their site says end to end $176.00 plus camera charge plus police or MoT fines....
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groveite View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking a class C on the 407 across Toronto? Looking at their toll calculator it seems that you must have a transponder if over 5000 kg GVW. Not looking forward to doing the 401 route but the apparent cost and associated penalty for non transponder are making me wonder. We only use that route about every 3 years so not about to rent a transponder. Their site says end to end $176.00 plus camera charge plus police or MoT fines....
I have only used it with a transponder so I cannot say what happens without. I would call them and check.

Craig
Irwincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:46 AM   #3

I run a motorcoach company and we do send buses to Canada. Our NY EZ pass transponders are not recognized but my drivers have no issues travelling. I do get an invoice from a company called 407 ETR. I am not sure how the vehicle is being detected or if the driver has to provide anything at the actual toll barriers or not but a month following the trip is when we get the bill.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I run a motorcoach company and we do send buses to Canada. Our NY EZ pass transponders are not recognized but my drivers have no issues travelling. I do get an invoice from a company called 407 ETR. I am not sure how the vehicle is being detected or if the driver has to provide anything at the actual toll barriers or not but a month following the trip is when we get the bill.
I know it is all done by camera..no gates . I will try calling them again as last time I gave up after 15 minutes on hold. WE have gone through with the car a few times and the bill generally comes in about a month later for sure. I have a UNI transponder good for most East and Southeast states but not the 407 !
Old 08-11-2022, 09:54 AM   #5

THIS IS FROM THEIR WEBSITE

Vehicles Over 5 Tonnes
Anonymous accounts are available for ‘light’ vehicles only, which include cars, vans, and pickup trucks. For vehicles with a Registered Gross Vehicle Weight or Gross Vehicle Weight over 5
tonnes, transponders are mandatory under the Highway Traffic Act (Ontario) in order to travel
the 407 ETR. These ‘heavy’ vehicles, which include large trucks, dump trucks, tractor trailers,
etc., require a transponder for a number of reasons including:
1. The rear licence plate of any trailing vehicle is not necessarily registered to the driver/owner
of the power unit (permit holder of tractor). Therefore, reading the trailers’ licence plate
would not provide the information necessary to forward the toll charge invoice to the
registered plate holder;
2. The toll system is presently designed to take video images of rear licence (trailer) plates. For
heavy vehicles, these plates may be recessed or be in unusual locations which the system
cannot reliably read;
3. The OTCC recognizes the need to ensure an even playing field for all commercial vehicles.
The province wants to ensure that Ontario’s commercial trucking industry is not put at a
competitive disadvantage vis-a-vis out-of-province commercial vehicles who may attempt
to evade paying tolls. Thus, the requirement for mandatory transponders for all vehicles
with a Registered Gross Vehicle Weight or Gross Vehicle Weight over 5 tonnes.
To ensure that tolls are collected from all heavy vehicles, the OTCC uses two toll collection
methods available through the current 407 ETR tolling system. The primary means to identify
a heavy vehicle which does not have a valid transponder is through the rear licence plate
recognition and identification system. A supplementary toll collection method for non-transponder heavy vehicles accurately identifies toll violators through the front licence plate. This
secondary toll collection process is not unduly invasive since no passenger vehicles are recorded.
This secondary system will be made up of permanent sites as well as portable units which will be
continually relocated along the 407 ETR to gain maximum toll collection potential. Heavy
vehicles found to be on the highway without a valid transponder will be sent a toll charge for the
trip taken and an additional $25 Heavy Vehicle Non-Transponder Toll Charge. As well, if the
Ontario Provincial Police or Ministry of Transportation Enforcement Officers stop a heavy
vehicle on 407 ETR without a valid transponder, the driver will be subject to a $90 Highway
Traffic Act fine.
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #6

So they want you to use a transponder because there's a strong possibility they won't be able to read the license plate which means they can't send you a bill which means you travel for free.
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #7

Someone told me that if you spray your license plates with PAM cooking spray, the cameras can't read it. Not sure if it's true or not, but might be worth a try LOL.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #8

$176.00??? Canadian???

Isn't that like a $42.50 USD?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears
Andersen WDH
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #9

Passe there once if you dont have a transpondeur on are eau to Georgian gay $75.00
sgroij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #10

I got an official response from the 407 ETR and indeed any vehicle over 5000kg gvw must have a transponder and will be charged as I noted originally. The fines from OPp would depend on whether you are caught. Not worth it to me! 401 it is.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfhjq View Post
So they want you to use a transponder because there's a strong possibility they won't be able to read the license plate which means they can't send you a bill which means you travel for free.
In Texas we have a decal on the windshield ( tolltag) which is read by sensors along the tollways. You just keep a reserve in the acct. with the toll authority and when it drops to $20.00 it automatically bills your credit card to deposit more into the reserve. Point is that if you depend on the camera system, which reads the vehicle tag, the tolls are higher by quite a bit. These tolltags are good for the tollways in most other States which use the same system. I was reading up on the Canadian system, the interesting thing was tag denial. Non payment of tolls here, to the best of my knowledge doesn't affect vehicle registration or DL's.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:23 PM   #12

We use 407 with our class C. After first few trips we got transponder mostly because we tow and I got tired of calling each time the bill came in. Can’t tell you the cost as with transponder they set up weight and any other relevant info. Let’s be honest it’s a private company charging BIG BUCKs but it’s better than driving on the 401 which is a giant pot hole and always has issues.
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:30 PM   #13

I believe RV’s are exempt from needing a transponder
But they are often mistaken for commercial because of size and you have to call in to get rate reduced to car rate after you get billed
Trucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
$176.00??? Canadian???

Isn't that like a $42.50 USD?

Murff
Probably
sgroij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker1 View Post
i believe rvís are exempt from needing a transponder
but they are often mistaken for commercial because of size and you have to call in to get rate reduced to car rate after you get billed
not true. I have all my plates listed under my account motorhome, cars, trailer and they have access to the vehicle information, they want you to lease transponder for every vehicle but i move from vehicle to vehicle and hasnt been a problem in the 20+ years ive had one
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #16

Toll

Not Canada but I travel I65 through Kentucky to Indiana and cross the Ohio river toll bridge. Many trips pulling a 24' enclosed trailer behind my Seneca Super C. The trailer I had for years had the plate on lower left rear of trailer. I never got a toll bill. Did this for years. This year I buy a new trailer with the plate on the upper part of rear door. You guessed it, bill every time
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:55 PM   #17

I use the 407 occasionally towing a 29ft TT with a Ram 1500.** We are charged standard passenger vehicle rates.* Only had one issue in a severe rain storm and passing under toll sensor at a slow speed.* It detected the longer length of vehicle and charged us commercial rate.* Which was almost double.* Quick call corrected, but they will not refund, only credit account.* We have a transponder and have trailer plate registered with account. Transponder for personal vehicles not worth it unless more than six entries.* Live in Toronto area and I'm used to the 401 experience.* Best bet is to plan travel between 8pm and 5am during week and between 9pm and 9am on weekends. And not just the 401,* the QEW between Toronto and Niagara Falls applies too.* Morning and evening rush hours have spread out over the day now since Covid.*** Friend is a delivery guy for large RV Dealer here.* I'm waiting for reply back, but believe they use non commercial transponders for everything including Class C.* I'll post again when I hear.
timbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:35 AM   #18

WE have used it with the 5th wheel and the travel trailer and only had to call once to explain that it was an RV (mistook the 5th wheel for a heavy truck) but the Class C is considered by 407 to be a heavy truck so has to have a transponder. We only take the RV that route perhaps twice a decade so not going to rent their gear. We will be on it on Monday as we are headed back to the Maritimes for a festival on PEI but will use the car this time (testing my ability to maneuver the new Tesla between charge points!! A steep learning curve for oldsters).