Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

4G/Wi-Fi Signal Boosters

What are you all using for signal capture/boosting? I'm thinking of getting the Halo for WiFi and WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR (or RV if you don't mind only being boosted while parked) for the 4G. The OTR and Halo are nice since the antenna simply mounts to one of the mirror bars and you run the cable beneath the door weatherstrip. They also can be used while in-motion. I do prefer the repeater that the RV unit has instead of the OTR's seat-mount repeater.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #2

After mulling over the advantages/disadvantages of the RV version, I ordered it yesterday and should get it Saturday. I plan to thoroughly test it out on our next trip before installing it. Since I have a no-drill policy I'm going to mount the antenna on the top of the ladder the way you would mount it on a big rig mirror.

I'll post a performance report during or after my camping trip later this month.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #3

Please excuse the ignorance here, but at least I'm trying to learn. What do these Boosters Do? Please explain by example, I can get dense and fall asleep, if you get tooooo technical.

So if a campground is broadcasting a signal of free wifi you can pick up and send to it better? Is that what you are looking for?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

No problem Ric. It's a cell phone signal booster. They claim it boosts a weak signal 32 times. Obviously it won't work if you have No Service but in most cases a very weak signal is available in campgrounds. Here's the WeBoost website.

https://www.weboost.com/?gclid=CjwKE...S5mhoCqlrw_wcB

It's expensive but worth it (in my opinion) if you need to stay in touch while camping. I need it for my business.

Ken

Old 07-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Please excuse the ignorance here, but at least I'm trying to learn. What do these Boosters Do? Please explain by example, I can get dense and fall asleep, if you get tooooo technical.

So if a campground is broadcasting a signal of free wifi you can pick up and send to it better? Is that what you are looking for?
Like Ken said - he's talking about a booster for the cell phone. These boosters can bring in a signal from a tower that's maybe 5 or 10 miles away. (Instead of the typical 2 mile range). Great if you need to make a call or surf the web from your phone.

There are also WiFi boosters that do a similar thing. Say you're at the faaaaaaaaaaar end of the RV park and there's a weak WiFi signal. Or none at all.

Or say you're close enough to a Starbucks to get a WiFi signal but it's weak and won't stay connected. WiFi boosters will boost that signal and rebroadcast it in your RV.

Hope that helps!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Is the outside signal actually increased or does it just make the inside signal the same as it is outside? For example if there is a weak signal outside and no signal inside, will give you a weak signal inside (same as outside) or will it turn a weak signal outside to a med or strong signal inside?
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Is the outside signal actually increased or does it just make the inside signal the same as it is outside? For example if there is a weak signal outside and no signal inside, will give you a weak signal inside (same as outside) or will it turn a weak signal outside to a med or strong signal inside?
From their website -- https://www.weboost.com/?gclid=CjwKE...S5mhoCqlrw_wcB

How it works:

1 - RECEIVES SIGNAL - The booster's antenna reaches out to the cell tower to access voice and data signals.

2 - BOOSTS SIGNAL - The booster receives the outside signal, amplifies it up to 32x, and sends it to the inside antenna.

3 - EXPANDS SIGNAL - The inside antenna broadcasts the boosted signal to devices inside the home.
Spot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #8

We have an AT&T Unite Pro hotspot for our wifi connection so hopefully the WeBoost will help keep us connected to the Internet.

We've also looked at this wifi booster for campground wifi's but feel the cell phone booster is more important since most of our camping is in state parks with no campground wifi provided.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winegard-...&wl13=&veh=sem

You can find quite a few reviews on YouTube.

Ken

Old 07-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Here is a post I did on the new Uniden U60 Cellular Signal Booster I purchased. "Cellular Signal Boosters" Social group.
Our FIRST impression is WOW no more dropped calls.... we can send photos and text messages again. DW is totally happy!!!! The signal went from 1 bar if you were luck to an occasional 2 bars for a brief moment. Inside the TT we get MAX bars.

There are a few things you need to know when purchasing a unit like this.
You get what you pay for $$$$

- Omni directional antennas are better for use while traveling (in motion).
- If you only plan on using the system while camping, go with an outside DIRECTIONAL antenna, as they receive/transmit the best. There are aps to locate the cell site in your area. We are in a valley (4K high mountains around us) and the cell tower was 4.3 miles away.
- Omni directional antennas are not as good at picking up signals as they are working in a 360 degree area opposed to a (I believe) a 30 degree area.
- The inside antenna should be selected based on where you will be placing the inside antenna. Again, a DIRECTIONAL antenna is best. Use an OMNI if you are going to mount it in the center of your or your RV.

IMPORTANT NOTE: [EXAMPLE] If your exterior antenna is mounted on the rear ladder, do not point your interior DIRECTIONAL antenna toward the EXTERIOR antenna, the signals will collide and your unit will go crazy, it will affect your signal strength. Your calls will drop and your signal will be weaker. Worst case scenario!

I wanted to use the "Field Test" option on the iPhone/Verizon service, which gives you all the signal strengths but the cell site is operated by a 3rd party company. Oh well, maybe when we get back home with it.

The install took less than an hour to install. Anyone experienced or inexperienced will be able to install one of these units... you just need to select one.

If you do purchase one, go to the "Cellular Signal Boosters" Social group and post your model (Subject line) and let us know what you think.

PART (1)

I just purchased the Uniden U60 Cellular Signal Booster for my wife (Mother's Day) as we spend the summer in the Blue Ridge Mountains in north GA. We are located in a valley surrounded by 2K - 4K mountains. The cell tower is 4.3 miles away so the MAX signal outside the TT is either "No Signal", 99% of the time "1" bar and an occasional "2" bar, and constantly dropping calls. Sending pictures was non-existent, "Text Messages" were sent and received once in awhile. So I decided to splurge and purchase a Cellular Signal Booster. After a lot of research I decided on the Uniden U60. I purchased the U60 because it has enough power to give a good signal in our house also.

PART (2)

I opted for the "Directional Outdoor Antenna" as that model gives the BEST performance. Since the TT is stationary and there is only one Cell Tower, I mounted it, aimed it and plugged it in. I also opted for the "Directional Indoor Antenna" since I did not want any signal feed back going toward the exterior antenna which would degrade the antenna performance. I set the system up in less than an hour. Cranked it up and I had 4 bars in the TT, pictures received/sent in seconds, no dropped calls. Wife is VERY HAPPY NOW!

Well worth the $$$

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote