Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #1

5 speed vs 6 speed..mpg?

I just found out that the new ford chassis is coming thru with a 6 speed transmission...I'm in the process of buying a ford with the 5 speed..one or two mpg makes a huge difference....how many people have the new speed transmission?how do you like it and what would you do?5-10 years from now would the 6 speed be better for resale?Please post any pros or cons...and your mpg..thank you all so very much..
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

From what I've read it's quieter and you DO get that MPG bump. All good things.

Personally, my only reservation with it would be its specific application in a motorhome configuration; this is the first year for it. Its been in the F150 and what not for awhile now, but not a heavy motorhome.

The 5 speed has been bulletproof for years and years at this point. Its a known, tried and true commodity.

Yin/Yang. I know when I had money on a 2016 (I think I was the first to post about the vibration on this forum) I was excited to have the updated transmission. Now, given the service history of the 5 speed, I wouldn't necessarily say the 6 speed is a must have for me. I can sleep soundly either way.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

6 speed

We purchased a new 2016 Precept a few months ago with a 6 speed. We have no experience with a 5 speed. I always found more is better with the number of gears and the transmission works very nicely with the exception of sometimes skipping 4th on a downshift when climbing a grade. Although the deep discount of a 5 speed may well offset the lower resale and maybe a bit of mileage.....or not. Hope this helps. Happy hunting.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
From what I've read it's quieter and you DO get that MPG bump. All good things.

Personally, my only reservation with it would be its specific application in a motorhome configuration; this is the first year for it. Its been in the F150 and what not for awhile now, but not a heavy motorhome.

The 5 speed has been bulletproof for years and years at this point. Its a known, tried and true commodity.

Yin/Yang. I know when I had money on a 2016 (I think I was the first to post about the vibration on this forum) I was excited to have the updated transmission. Now, given the service history of the 5 speed, I wouldn't necessarily say the 6 speed is a must have for me. I can sleep soundly either way.
From the research I did on the 6 speed I never noticed it used in a F150. The literature I read said it is used in the heavier applications. It is built to compete with the Allison transmission and seems to have a bit better design over the Allison. Ford designed it for heavier applications and is used behind their 6.7 diesel. Go online and you will find a lot of information on the design and build. It's the reason I and others waited for a 6 speed. If I recall it came out in 2010 and it has a very good service record.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

From what I've been reading the people that have them love them..the transmission as been out since 2011,so you hope that the bugs have been worked out..I'm driving myself crazy..lol
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

My local Ford big rig shop likes that 6 speed too. However, its still new to motorhome applications. It is what it is.

I would have been happy to have one, but I'm not upset that I don't.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

I have had both the 5 and six speed on 2 different trucks and what I would check is the final ratio... most 5 and 6 speeds will have the final gear ratio and both will probably be the same. The main difference is one more gear to get you there which makes for a little smoother transition from first to final gear
Old 03-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

We LOVE the 6 speed... Our previous Redhawk had a 5 speed, and this 2016 has a six speed.

It's much quieter.
It doesn't down shift as much in the hills and mountains, and the compression braking works better.
We went from 9.0 MPG in the old unit, to 10.1 in this new unit.

The comparison is for trips from West Virginia to Florida, using the same route. The "sweet spot" speed is about 60 MPH. We were able to drive most of the trip with the cruise control on, without it shifting down into the "screaming engine noise" range.

The difference is so big, that it's almost un-believeable.

Have fun and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #9

6 Speed Input

I agree with everything the Logan's say! We have the 23XM which is the smallest and got 11.0 on our first trip across Canada from near Jayco.
Great Trans!!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #10

I have to call my dealer Monday and see what they can do..I just think if and only if I can get a 6 speed transmission I have to try..thank you all..
Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #11

Good Luck, Duck! lol
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote