Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
YES as long as no leg went over 50 amps. 50/30, 40/40, 45/35 OK. 55/30 NO.
That's what I said above, and you and Vicr tried to tell me it's wrong.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #42
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You don't have 100 amps available on a 50 amp service, period. There is a double pole breaker because you have two opposing phases of electricity. Why do you argue with electricians?
Well, then this is confusing...

....."The value of a 50 amp RV service is more in the two electrical legs than just the 50 amp number over a 30 amp. The actual available current for a 50 amp service is 100 amps, over three times that of a 30 amp service.

With a 50 amp RV Service, you are using two electrical legs, each with 50 amps of available current, for a maximum amount of 100 amps.

The internal circuit breakers are split across the two legs. Major current draw devices like air conditioners are usually attached to different legs to balance the current drawn between the legs."

RV Electrical Distribution
Attached Thumbnails
50 amp.jpg  
Old 06-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's what I said above, and you and Vicr tried to tell me it's wrong.
What's wrong is the statement "100 amps available".

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #44

I've got one of every step-up, and step-down adapter available. They are more than handy, they're sometimes necessary. For example while parked at home I have my 30A plugged into household 15A for necessary limited power. At a camp pedestal with burned or loose 30A sockets I can use a 50 > 30 adapter.

A further note: I visibly inspect and then use a circuit tester to check every electrical source before plugging in. Surprising how many pedestals have reverse polarity...
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #45

I've got one of every step-up, and step-down adapter available. They are more than handy, they're sometimes necessary. For example while parked at home I have my 30A plugged into household 15A for necessary limited power. At a camp pedestal with burned or loose 30A sockets I can use a 50 > 30 adapter.

A further note: I visibly inspect and then use a circuit tester to check every electrical source before plugging in. Surprising how many pedestals have reverse polarity...
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #46

Now what?

Now I’m totally confused.... so much for running a 50 amp service from my home...
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #47
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
What's wrong is the statement "100 amps available".
Why, because you want to play word games or semantics? Would it have made you happy if I said 95 amps instead?

Bottom line, does a 50 amp RV service just provide 50 amps maximum, or is MORE than 50 amps available in all circuits?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #48

I learned a long time ago that arguing with electricians is like arguing with engineers. An engineer will tell you all day long that their product was designed to meet all normal loading without breaking, as you sit there holding their broken part in front of their face. You can swap "engineer" with the word "LCI" and product with the words "ground control 3.0" if it makes more sense to you.

At the end of the day, electricians are trained to define a system's capability by the amp carrying capacity of the weakest link on the line side. By definition, in an RV, that's 50 amps. So by definition, they are 100% correct. However, in practical terms, electricians make use of the opposing phases of a 240V system to provide more available 120V amperage on the load side in both RVs and houses. They do so by "balancing" the system so no more than 50 amps is seen on either leg of the panel. One should be asking if there is up to 50 amps on either side, why isn't the shared neutral wire carrying 100 amps? That's where balancing and the opposing phases come in. When balanced, the amperage from one leg actually passes over into the opposite leg rather than flowing out the neutral line. Voila, you get more practical 120V amperage on the load side without breaking the definition of a 50 amps service.

Why does this matter in regards to the OPs original question? Truth be told, the 30 amp camper breaker will continue to protect the loads in the camper from high amperage. Also, assuming there are no other outlets in the wire from the dog bone and the camper (i.e. he doesn't usual some sort of splitter), then the cord is also protected from high amperage from the loads in the camper. However, that breaker will not protect the cord or plug connections if they are bad or corroded. In that case, the load created by the cord itself could easily cause heat and cause damage before the 50 Amp breaker on the pole trips. (The camper breaker doesn't see this load.) This would include all of the connections between the camper electrical box and the 50 Amp breaker. If it was me, I'd be sure I was checking the connections and be sure I was using a good high quality cord. This is especially true if my camper had a cord that was permanently attached and fed through the side wall for storage. Those at notorious for having people yank a wire loose it fray the cord in the strain relief.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #49

Now I will be able to sleep at night no longer worrying about 50 amps. Thank you for confirming I was not totally off base.

I am more than satisfied. My last unit was a Lance Camper with 20 amp service. It had 1 air conditioner and a propane generator. Prior to that I had a Beaver camper with no generator. Prior to that we camped in a Ford van with shag carpet and a furry bed (I was young), cooked on a Coleman stove, and were extremely excited when we bought our first portable toilet. Little camper on the prairie.

All my previous years have been dry camping and we loved it. Now that I have a nice motor home with 30 amps of wonderful power I am more than happy. We even go to campgrounds now and then and hook up. With old age comes the need for more creature comforts.

It is not hard at all to manage power usage especially when I can look over my shoulder and see the amps being drawn displayed on my power management center. As long as you know not to fire up heavy duty items at the same time, everything is good. I can shut down my AC to run a skillet, hair dryer, microwave, etc. and then flip it back on when done. Of course I am referring to shutting off just 1 of my AC units while leaving the other running. Don't want to lose all of my creature comforts.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericloz View Post
Now I’m totally confused.... so much for running a 50 amp service from my home...
There is absolutely no issue with you running a 50 amp service at home. You can run everything in your RV.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #51

Yeah, I have seen an adapter for sale with 30 amp + 20 amp plugs going into a 50 amp female. Talk about taking your life in your hands...
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
Yeah, I have seen an adapter for sale with 30 amp + 20 amp plugs going into a 50 amp female. Talk about taking your life in your hands...

When you plug a nightlight into a 20 amp circuit plug is there any danger?

The breaker in the RV controls how much power will flow through the wire to it. Look at everything in your house plugged into outlets that take less than the outlet will provide.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #53

RogerR, I was talking about an adapter that plugs into BOTH the 30 amp and 20 amp plugs at the same time to give a supposed 50 amps out. I'm not an electrician but it sounds kinda iffy to me. Like this one: amazon.com/Cynder-02018-Female-Adapter-Camper/dp/B07BZDHJWS/
By the way, were do I find a map that includes Canadian provinces like you have?
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
RogerR, I was talking about an adapter that plugs into BOTH the 30 amp and 20 amp plugs at the same time to give a supposed 50 amps out. I'm not an electrician but it sounds kinda iffy to me. Like this one: amazon.com/Cynder-02018-Female-Adapter-Camper/dp/B07BZDHJWS/
By the way, were do I find a map that includes Canadian provinces like you have?
No danger it's just is very iffy and will not work. The 20 amp side plugs into a GFI outlet on all modern and updated peds. GFI with a shared neutral does not work.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #55
Site Team

I have an adapter with 2 -30a plugs feeding a 50a plug. We use it often in some parks that have 2 -30a plugs in the cg pedestal. It works great because there are 2 different lines going into the box. We can run both ac's but are limited to 30a on each leg.

I have the adapter you mentioned with a 30a and 15a plug but I have never found a place that it was useful because of the GFCI and the common ground.

I still carry it though!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote