Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

A/C can’t keep up!

Camping in Louisiana and it has been unbearably hot and humid!! So much so that a/c cannot keep up on my 2015 Seneca. They have been checked out ok, it’s just a common problem down here. With inside temps rising into the lower 80’s I am contemplating adding another a/c unit. Has anyone done this to their Seneca?
raymoe3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

I don't know what floor plan you have... but we don't have another vent to add another AC unit to - unless we put an AC on the Bathroom vent opening. I'll assume that you don't have another available vent either.

Now, if you consider a portable AC unit that you will need to power separately from the Seneca electrical outlet that is behind the drivers seat... that is an option for you, but not a real great one.

We tried it... and put the portable right behind the drivers seat. It worked OK, but you will have to take extraordinary measures to insulate the cab from the living area as it will cook your cab. We vented the hot air out the drivers window - it worked kinda sorta..

I would never consider replacing our bathroom vent with an AC... unless that AC is very special and can suck the "morning stink" out better than that fancy exhaust fan.
Attached Thumbnails
20170610_220412.jpg   20170610_220514.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

The issue with the portable units is their efficiency is quite low, on the order of maybe 50%. All that hot air that gets pushed out that plastic tubing gets replaced by hot air from all the cracks and crevices in your rig. A portable unit with two hoses(intake/outtake) is actually much better, but more expensive/efficient and harder to find.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
The issue with the portable units is their efficiency is quite low, on the order of maybe 50%. All that hot air that gets pushed out that plastic tubing gets replaced by hot air from all the cracks and crevices in your rig. A portable unit with two hoses(intake/outtake) is actually much better, but more expensive/efficient and harder to find.
yep... pretty much what I said. If you take EXTRAordinary measures.. it can help.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

I really would like to add another roof a/c. It looks like there is enough room right after the cab to install another one. It could just be a vented unit (not plumbed to the central roof vents).
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #6

Just buy one and follow instructions or opening. If you can get over the hard part of cutting he roof the you’ll be fine.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

I'm not sure what is in the Seneca for the privacy curtain. The greyhawk has a pretty thin curtain. We did not have sun reflectors for the front window or side windows of the cab and have noticed that is a huge source of heat during the day. We bought the covers for the windows and bought a much heavier blanket type curtain. A/C worked much better.

The time when we did all this the RV was in direct sunlight in Ocean city with high humidity and basically 90+ each day. While the A/C still ran all day, at least it kept the coach in the 70's.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

You’re right about the heat from the cab! My wife made some thick privacy curtain attachments that block a ton of heat but some still comes through. And in Louisiana, that little bit is enough to overcome the a/c capacity. Putting a fan in the bedroom blowing into the living area helps and definitely is the cheap fix. I am convinced tho that if I buy another RV in this size range it must have three a/c units.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #9

Bought a wrap around windshield cover from Amazon for my E450...best investment IO ever made, as it seems to cut down heat, offers privacy and access to the cab while camping.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #10

Rules for Cool
  1. Park in shade
  2. Cover all cab windows (mesh or reflectix)
  3. Deploy upper and lower cab curtains
  4. Run a tower fan to lower heat index
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #11

I put up a tension curtain rod and some thermal curtains. Does a lot to keep heat out. Plus the heatshield covers on windows. Also keeps interior warm when in cooler weather.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2701.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote