Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

A/C - Generator Usage

I have a 29MVP and will be heading to the desert soon. Part of the time I will have hookups, and part of the time I will be on the generator.

I was wondering, how long can I run my dual air conditioners continuously, and how long can I run the generator continuously. I may need to run the A/C for several days continuously in 100 degree weather. Is that possible?

Please let me know what your experience has been under similar circumstances. Thanks!
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

The geny can run continuously your fuel supply will be the problem. Once you hit 1/4 tank it will shut down and since it consumes about 1 gal per hour at full load (both a/c's) that's 24 gals per day.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #3

If continuous run time is important don't forget to stock up on a spare air filter, spark plug(s) and the grade of motor oil recommended. It wouldn't hurt to change the air filter, oil and plug before this trip. Check if your unit has a low oil level auto shutdown. If not, you will need to shut it down and check the oil level. Check mfg. recommendations for service intervals.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Any concerns about running the air conditioners continuously when plugged into shore power?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:53 AM   #5

We were down in FL for 8 weeks earlier this year escaping the New England cold weather and quarantining at my parents house. Had the rig plugged into shore power and the AC running the whole time, no issues.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
We were down in FL for 8 weeks earlier this year escaping the New England cold weather and quarantining at my parents house. Had the rig plugged into shore power and the AC running the whole time, no issues.
Great! Good to hear that you didn’t have any problems. What kind of rig do you have? Thanks for the response.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #7

If your able, you can cut down on the amount of time you need to run them, and thus save fuel. You might not have to run the one in the bedroom during the day, and close the pocket door if you have one. Orient the rig so the sun hits the back instead of broadside. If you really needed to,you could bring in the slides and that's less space to cool.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
If your able, you can cut down on the amount of time you need to run them, and thus save fuel. You might not have to run the one in the bedroom during the day, and close the pocket door if you have one. Orient the rig so the sun hits the back instead of broadside. If you really needed to,you could bring in the slides and that's less space to cool.
Great tips. Thanks!