Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

A/C issues.

2016 ME29
AC running. Minimal air coming
out of main duct and 1 small one. Other 3 small ducts nothing?

Thoughts?
Mae29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
CAG

Not much to go on there.
1. Is this the first time you have used it?
2. Is there a fan setting on the thermostat that could be on low?

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

Are filters clean? If they are clogged then the unit won't be able to suck in enough air.

Also, does the unit have a slide that will shoot the air straight down rather than through the ducts? If so, see if you get full air flow that way. May mean you have a duct restriction.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae29 View Post
2016 ME29

Thoughts?

Open the vents directly on the AC unit, on the cover. If you're greeted with a blast of cold air, then...

Yep - pop the cover off.
Four screws.

You'll see a jury-rigged baffle that's no longer baffling the air into the ducts.

It was a friction fit on mine - that never stayed in place. finally I fashioned a brace out of wood to support the baffle and direct air to the vents.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

Wow...this must be the time for failures..... planned to boondock tomorrow. But, generator not running smoothly and when I out a load on with the AC, the AC runs warm air with the unit vents open. When I close the unit vents and open the round vents, minimal hot air comes through those. Its approaching 100 degrees, so imperative that i have AC. Any ideas where to trouble shoot? The intake and exhaust side are separate sealed off.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

I had a similar issue our first time out in our 2017 29MV. IT all steamed back to the digital thermostat. Took thermostat off wall with guidance from Jayco and shorted 2 low voltage wires together and poof, the compressor started up. Went back to the older black thermostat. worked every since.
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #7

Check the filter screens. If those are plugged it reduces flow and the coils can freeze up. I had one unit not working as well as the other and traced it back to the screens. Cleaned them up and let the unit sit for awhile to thaw. Then restarted and no issues since. I thought it needed a recharge at the time however the tech I spoke to said filters are one of their biggest issues when they go trouble shoot the systems.

I would also look are the actual roof top and be sure something like leaves are not blocking the radiator fins.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

Open this Thread and watch the video about fixing the air separation baffle:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-67173.html

Then take some silver duct repair tape and tape up your ceiling vents so the air coming out of them doesn't go into the space between the ceiling and the roof.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Wow...this must be the time for failures..... planned to boondock tomorrow. But, generator not running smoothly and when I out a load on with the AC, the AC runs warm air with the unit vents open. When I close the unit vents and open the round vents, minimal hot air comes through those. Its approaching 100 degrees, so imperative that i have AC. Any ideas where to trouble shoot? The intake and exhaust side are separate sealed off.

Lord I hope you have a different outcome than I did.

My Coleman Mach 15 died.
$700 for a new one.

I replaced it myself or it would have been much much more.

Another ^%$%^$ thing on the RV that died prematurely.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

That’s pretty surprising - the Coleman AC units are pretty stout. I’d take one any day of the week and twice on Sundays over the Dometics. And that other brand that originated in Australia - terrible heat pump but great AC.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

My Mach 15 crapped out last summer. 3 years old. Installed new one with help from kids for $850. I bought the extendend warranty for this one.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae29 View Post
2016 ME29

Thoughts?
Sounds like you are saying AIRFLOW duct issue? Start by removing square ceiling grill at mani unit and inspecting ductwork; there are youtubes showing how to use the silver aluminum HVAC tape to cure air leaks at duct connections. Otherwise, remove/ inspect at all ceiling grills for damage/ nesting/ blocks dampers? If you started w/ good airflow that decreased as unit ran, problem might be COIL ICING/ THERMOCOUPLE, and changing FAN switch from AUTO to ON (run continuous) MIGHT help icing issues. If filter dirty, that can increase icing. Hope this helps? Let us know?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #13

If you have ducted with offset air filters (whisperquiet?) and no cover where the unit is mounted above how do you check the baffle? Do you have to pull the unit off from above?
jturmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #14

Lack of AC air flow

My issue was similar. The small ceiling air duct vents and the in ceiling duct work were not aligned properly. I took them off and trimmed them to a better fit and used some duct tape to keep them tight to duct work. I also bought some 1/2 round stick on door knob wall protectors. I placed them inside the ductwork centered above the vent. When the air flows through the duct work they deflect some of the flow out of the vents. It made a big improvement in the air flow issue. You may find as I did the outlet from the duct work to the vent fitting are not inline. My in ceiling duct work was Styrofoam so it was simple to trim to fit.
JaycoJoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Lord I hope you have a different outcome than I did.

My Coleman Mach 15 died.
$700 for a new one.

I replaced it myself or it would have been much much more.

Another ^%$%^$ thing on the RV that died prematurely.
2016 Jayco Jayfeather 23RLSW. Dometic duotherm brisk air II 15K A/C unit.

Quit blowing cold air last fall. Service tech says there is blockage in the condenser line. Compressor is running fine. All these A/C units are throw away with no repairs except for the blower and capacitor and control board.

Haven't bought a new unit yet as the prices have gone up $70 compared to 5 months ago. Just waiting for a better sale at some point.

Dometic did have a run of bad units with inferior copper that leaks but mine isn't in that timeframe.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #16

I have a Greyhawk 29ME also. Does your unit have two A/C units? If so, please note that each A/C unit has ducted output into front AND rear halves of the house. For example, the rear A/C unit will push most of the airflow into the rear half of the house, BUT it also pushes some air into the front ducts. The front A/C unit will push most of the air into the front of the house, but it also pushes a lesser amount of air into the rear half. Could that be what you're dealing with? Nobody told me that at the dealer PDI. No surprise. I learned it the hard way.

Add to that the possibility that some ducts may be leaking air. Other responses addressed that.

If you only have one A/C unit, I won't be much help.

Good luck.
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote