Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #21

So, this begs the question: The determination of needing a lighter vehicle than 4000 lbs came from where? The RV could not make it up a chosen grade at all? Or it couldn't make it up the chosen grade at highway speed? There's a big difference. We're starting to get into very light vehicles which may or may not be good 4-on-the-ground toads. Simply hooking up the family econo-box, sticking it in neutral and hauling it around for hundreds or thousands of miles usually ends in disaster. Some make good toads and some just don't. Hard to find a "good toad" under 4000 lbs that won't destroy something in the driveline when dragged around with the engine off.

What sort of criteria are we working with here? Otherwise, it's largely a data-free discussion. Research into which drivelines can be safely towed on the ground is a good thing. Front wheel drive cars make light cars, but they often are the worst to tow. Mainly because it's hard to disconnect the driveline from the drive wheels. Some are designed to be toads, like the Suzuki Sidekick or the Geo Tracker. Don't bother considering a dolly, as that automatically adds 1000-1500 lbs to the total, which defeats the purpose.

My 06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2 door version) is about 4200 lbs, which is about the same weight as a Ford Edge. So, not much savings there. But it has a transfer case with manual neutral, which effectively disconnects the driveline. Not sure if the Suzuki 4X4 Samurai does the same or not. Even some manual transmissions require the input shaft to be turning as long as the output shaft is turning, which necessitates the engine running. This also defeats the purpose. Most 2WD cars don't have a transfer case type mechanism, so you're limited to the ones which have manual trans that does NOT need the input shaft turning while the driveshaft is turning. Most of those are older designs, which also means most are heavier than today's production vehicles. The possibilities are becoming increasingly narrow, considering the constraints.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
So, this begs the question: The determination of needing a lighter vehicle than 4000 lbs came from where? The RV could not make it up a chosen grade at all? Or it couldn't make it up the chosen grade at highway speed? There's a big difference. We're starting to get into very light vehicles which may or may not be good 4-on-the-ground toads. Simply hooking up the family econo-box, sticking it in neutral and hauling it around for hundreds or thousands of miles usually ends in disaster. Some make good toads and some just don't. Hard to find a "good toad" under 4000 lbs that won't destroy something in the driveline when dragged around with the engine off.

What sort of criteria are we working with here? Otherwise, it's largely a data-free discussion. Research into which drivelines can be safely towed on the ground is a good thing. Front wheel drive cars make light cars, but they often are the worst to tow. Mainly because it's hard to disconnect the driveline from the drive wheels. Some are designed to be toads, like the Suzuki Sidekick or the Geo Tracker. Don't bother considering a dolly, as that automatically adds 1000-1500 lbs to the total, which defeats the purpose.

My 06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2 door version) is about 4200 lbs, which is about the same weight as a Ford Edge. So, not much savings there. But it has a transfer case with manual neutral, which effectively disconnects the driveline. Not sure if the Suzuki 4X4 Samurai does the same or not. Even some manual transmissions require the input shaft to be turning as long as the output shaft is turning, which necessitates the engine running. This also defeats the purpose. Most 2WD cars don't have a transfer case type mechanism, so you're limited to the ones which have manual trans that does NOT need the input shaft turning while the driveshaft is turning. Most of those are older designs, which also means most are heavier than today's production vehicles. The possibilities are becoming increasingly narrow, considering the constraints.
After exhaustively looking for toad vehicles, it really came down to whether or not it has a manual transfer 4WD case with a neutral position.

I have a 2015 wrangler unlimited and its about 4,500 lbs loaded up with junk. Even going through the mountains I have no issues towing. Yeah, the MH will downshift a few gears and hover in the 4k rpm range for a minute or so, but its designed to do just that.

Jeep has probably the largest base for components and the wiring kit is awesome. It will also go literally anywhere short of floating across the Atlantic.

The Currie base plate is about $200, the tow bar was about $1,100 and the wiring kit was $160. For $1,500 and the vehicle you are ready to tow.

The only negative is the loop for the mechanical link to the brake pedal sticks out the front of the jeep bumper. The best part is the Jeep holds its value better than just about any other vehicle.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #23

stans02, if you are still looking for a lighter toad, I went with the 2017 Jeep Patriot 4x4 with a manual transmission. The base curb weight is listed at 3133 pounds which makes it one of the lightest SUV's on the market. They are fairly roomy seating 5 or you can fold the rear seats down for more cargo space and seat 2 in the front. It must have a manual transmission to tow 4 down and all you have to do is put it in neutral with the key on ACC. I believe 2017 is their last year of production but there may still be new ones available or you can also opt for a used one. This link will list all the towable vehicles by year. Downloadable Dinghy Guides | Motorhome Magazine
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #24

For the reasons, Dustdevil stated I pull a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. We just returned from a 3500 miles trip with excellent results. It weighs in around 4200 lbs.
I would not pull anything else.
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #25

if you just want wheels for two, the Fiat 500 (manual) is light, and a kick to drive. It's also fairly easy to set up. No locking steering wheel, so no need to even leave the key in the car. I tow a Fiat 500 Cabrio.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #26

I also tow a Fiat 500. Manual transmission no steering lock. The baseplate was easy to install. Just screws to be removed , no plastic rivets like some of the other vehicles I have towed. Fiat only weighs 2200 lbs. I have also have a 4wd Grand Cherokee (4800 lbs) that I have towed with the same Motorhome (2018 Seneca) The Seneca handles either one but I can definitely feel the difference in performance.
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #27

I wanted something light, 4 door, rated well for reliability, and as roomy as possible. When you look at the lightest vehicles, a lot of them are about 2300 lbs, but you give up a lot of room inside. The next step up is about 2800 lbs. Of this group the one that made the cut for me is the Kia Soul. Very roomy, 4 doors, tow 4 down with manual tranny, plus is a car I'm happy to use even when it's not used as a toad. At about 15-16K not too expensive either.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #28

I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Nice SUV, will do most of what a JK will do (I said most) and weighs about 4,000 dry. You MUST insist the dealer install the flat tow wiring harness or you may experience the dreaded death wobble. I have towed mine 3K or so with out a problem and it is a nice comfortable car that is excellent in winter conditions.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote