Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #1

About to take the plunge

We are close to buying a Jayco Redhawk 31F. This will be our first Class C. We are upgrading from a Travel Trailer.

Is there anything glaring about owning a Class vs a Travel trailer that we should be aware of? For instance....TT owners really need to look out for the China Bombs (tires) that manufacturers typically install. Also...TT owners need to lube wheel bearings fairly regularly.

Also...has anyone else bought the Redhawk or Grayhawk 31F? Anything in particular we should be aware of?

Super Excited.
Kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

Just understand what that yellow sticker regarding your cargo capacity means. And make sure you remember that all the people you put in the motorhome now count towards that cargo number, unlike a travel trailer.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinggartk View Post
Is there anything glaring about owning a Class vs a Travel trailer that we should be aware of?
If the chassis is a Ford, read this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ent-61863.html
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #4

(Close ) congratulations on the new Redhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

I picked up a Greyhawk 31F a couple weeks ago. We like it but I learned real quick it can be a handful when passing or being passed. It’s nothing like our previous setup.

We’re coming out of a 2017 41’ Jayco Seismic 5th wheel being towed with a 2015 F450 tow vehicle that was a beast and stable. The Class C is none of that.

Going to do an alignment and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. I’m hopeful it gets better.

Only thing I’ve done so far is remove the decals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	48416

We like it. Much more comfortable than being stuck in a cab of a truck. Once I get the drivability improved I’ll start dialing in interior parts.
rivrrts429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #6

Just out of interest, why did you remove the decals?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #7

IMO, they don’t seem to last and make the rv look dated a few years down the road. Can’t wax the RV effectively either.

To each is own but I wanted white and simple clean lines.
rivrrts429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrts429 View Post
I picked up a Greyhawk 31F a couple weeks ago. We like it but I learned real quick it can be a handful when passing or being passed. It’s nothing like our previous setup.

We’re coming out of a 2017 41’ Jayco Seismic 5th wheel being towed with a 2015 F450 tow vehicle that was a beast and stable. The Class C is none of that.

Going to do an alignment and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. I’m hopeful it gets better.

Only thing I’ve done so far is remove the decals.

Attachment 48416

We like it. Much more comfortable than being stuck in a cab of a truck. Once I get the drivability improved I’ll start dialing in interior parts.

As a 31 footer you may already have +5* of caster. If so, I would go for +6* or more. JMO.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum. We’re only a few miles south of your location.

Are you buying from Plemmons? We bought our Greyhawk 31 FK from them in 2014. No regrets at all on that choice.

When you’re fully loaded for a trip, I’d suggest taking it by a CAT scale. It may be enlightening. And have a fully loaded alignment done while under warranty. It will drive much better. Go ahead and get some tire covers. I suspect class C tires are more expensive than trailer tires.

Be very careful with sharp turns. A long class C has a serious tail swing. I hooked a sign with ours, and that is not a warranty item.

Have fun with the RV. We’re leaving in the morning with a granddaughter aboard for a week at Myrtle Beach State Park.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrts429 View Post
We like it but I learned real quick it can be a handful when passing or being passed. It’s nothing like our previous setup.
There is definitely some model to model variation.

We test drove a used 2014 31FK and I felt like I was not in control. The thing was like riding on a whale with reins.

Then we test drove a 2016 31FK and it was fine.
So we're in that one now.

It drives like a large van (except for the huge tail swing that someone mentioned).
Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #11

Sorry for the late response. Yes...we did buy from Bill Plemmons RV. They seem like a top notch group.

Talking about alignment. They did a front end alignment as part of the delivery prep. Seems that is Standard Operating Procedure for them. While it was not a fully loaded alignment...I appreciate it any way.

My first 50 miles of driving has been pretty uneventful (that's a good thing).
Kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote