Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

ABS AND TRANSMISSION 2019 Seneca

FYI to my fellow Seneca owners. About three weeks ago, while driving my 2019 Seneca RB, from Montana to Oregon, the ABS light came on. I checked the owners manual and called Freightliner 24/7. Both said I needed to get to a dealer and have it checked out. The tech with 24/7 said it wasn't an emergency, but I need to get to a shop. I called Freightliner Spokane, as I was passing through. The service rep told me the earliest they could see me, mid October, I explained that i was passing through I that I wouldn't be there in mid October. The rep said, they really didn't cater to RVs, but said the ABS light wasn't a big deal.

I called Freightliner 24/7 asked for assistance with making an appointment in Spokane. The tech told me, each dealer/service center is independent and that Freightliner has no control over or influence with them. Sorry... The tech assured me that the ABS light would not interfere with my brakes or have any affect on my driving. So, we continued through WA, through the Cascades to the WA coast. About a week after the ABS light came on, we were driving down the coast of Oregon, and the transmission started to have issues.

The RPMs would climb to 2800 and drop to 2000, jump to 2800 and drop to 2000, while going up the hills. While losing speed, from 55 to 15 mph. Driving on level terrain, there were no problems. I checked the transmission fluid; full, oil level, full. This continued all the way, until we arrived in Coos Bay, to attend a Freightliner Chassis Owner Rally and Camp Freightliner training. Meanwhile, we looked for a Freightliner Oasis dealer near Coos Bay. We found a dealer in Salem and made an appointment for October 1st. But the way, the dealer is not an Oasis dealer.... Trust me...

While at the rally, I spoke with reps from Freightliner, Cummins and Allison. The Allison hooked up his computer and checked for any issues with the transmission. He found none. All three agreed, the ABS was the issue. Yep, the ABS. The reps told me that there is a fail safe program in transmission's computer. When the ABS sensor stops working, the transmission will not shift properly forcing the driver to seek assistance.

After the training, we drove to Salem and had the rig checked out. The tech replaced the ABS sensor and we have had no problems since. So, I thought I would share my experience with you. If your ABS light comes on, and does not turn off, find a dealer and have it looked. Don't listen to the 24/7 rep...

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

I just saw this thread and was curious how you found out about a Camp Freightliner in Coos Bay? That is where I live and would have loved to attend. I’m really surprised the did not hook you up with Freightliner Northwest which are An Elite support dealer in Colburg Oregon, right by Eugene. Just had mine up there for service today and got excellent service and are RV friendly. Freightliner NW dealers run from Southern Oregon clear up through WA. I called for my 15k service yesterday and they did the work today.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #3

We are members of the Freightliner Custom Chassis Club, you were enrolled as members when you bought your Seneca and your first year dues were paid for. That was our second rally we've attended. We have not attended Camp Freightliner, as it is not geared to the Super C. Freightliner is revamping the training, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The rallies offer a synopsis of Camp Freightliner and you receive the same book as they give you at the Camp. Each rally has training from Freightliner, Cummins, Allison and Michelin. Same as Camp Freightliner, they do not cover the S2RV chassis, but the information has been very helpful. The next Freightliner Custom Chassis Owner Club the will be attending will be in May of 2020 in Branson, MO. The training may not cover our Chassis, but the information you receive iis blank Hones

In Coos Bay, we were the only Super C. We loved the area and the beaches. The reason we went to Salem, they were advertised as being a Freightliner Oasis Dealer, when cater to RV's. Oasis dealers also have RV space with full hookups. Freightliner in Salem was not and is not an Oasis dealer. Going there was a total nightmare.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Great information, thanks for posting
RanWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Thanks, good info for all to know
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #6

We hand the same issue with our 19 HJ. ABS light came on and I noticed the trans was shifting wierd. We continued to our destination and I contacted a buddy who is familiar with Freightliner chassis and he walked me thru a couple easy things to look for.

What I found was Jayco had ran the undercarriage wire looms around the air brake lines which pulled the lines into the frame rail. The wire looms should have been run against the frame rails in the welded on metal loops, but they werent. Anyways, the air lines and ABS line rubbed against the frame rail causing the ABS line to wear in half and throw the ABS warning code.

Hope this helps someone.
phuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

Thank you. We have just ordered a 2020 Seneca, any reason to believe they have solved the issue?
Jimdeb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuggit View Post
We hand the same issue with our 19 HJ. ABS light came on and I noticed the trans was shifting wierd. We continued to our destination and I contacted a buddy who is familiar with Freightliner chassis and he walked me thru a couple easy things to look for.

What I found was Jayco had ran the undercarriage wire looms around the air brake lines which pulled the lines into the frame rail. The wire looms should have been run against the frame rails in the welded on metal loops, but they werent. Anyways, the air lines and ABS line rubbed against the frame rail causing the ABS line to wear in half and throw the ABS warning code.

Hope this helps someone.
When I first got ours I went underneath and did a lot of cleanup and securing of wiring and lines. One item to look at are the hydraulic lines for the jacks, there were several points where they ran across the frame and in only 5k miles had already worn a spot in the lines. Also found a propane line that was hanging down onto a jack mount and then up around a piece of metal and the same thing, already had a worn spot. A little bit of zip loom and zip ties and all is fine but could have lead to major failures.
Attached Thumbnails
C7FD9EFB-86C3-4078-870B-721483756120.jpg   0A261F2A-45C8-4FDB-B5E9-D9C630B16D36.jpg   4FD25CCD-89F7-4E8C-89AC-523393D7E47C.jpg   035ED662-A4B4-44EC-AEB4-4170E9356DCF.jpg   5A0551E6-9D5A-45CC-8FEA-E55FA3E14169.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

Thank again to all . I am storing in memory bank, whatever is left lol. Taking pics too !
Jimdeb80 is offline   Reply With Quote