Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 AM   #11

Since the DW doesn't like the reflextic material, look at ceramic window tint, it's pricey but would be basically invisible to the eye and reduce heat gain thru the windows. Lots of people use it on autos windows.

Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Bob, when you get a chance look at my post on the 2016 Greyhawk bed platform. Iíve done a mod under there after taking heat readings. The electric box would get up to about 156 degrees before the fan would kick in to cool it down so I installed some vents. Iím also in the process of rebuilding the mattress platform. Iím taking pictures and will post when itís completed. Our new mattress is 10Ē thick and Iím making an insulated platform. Iíll post when finished. Jimmyd
Your post is exactly where I got the idea to start hunting down heat sources and what made me realize there were some I probably hadn't thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Onr suggestion if you have a ducted system is to minimize the output air that comes out of the roof units. The output and intake are so close together that there is no way a lot of the output is pulled right back into the return. No matter how well they are seperated.

Getting the supply air down the duct work and farther away from the return has to help the units efficiency.

I think measuring it with the IR thermometer that way would be more accurate.
Thanks for the tip! I will certainly give that a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Since the DW doesn't like the reflextic material, look at ceramic window tint, it's pricey but would be basically invisible to the eye and reduce heat gain thru the windows. Lots of people use it on autos windows.
That's kind of where I was going when I mentioned using the leftover tint we had from doing the house. It's not ceramic, but I own it already (sunk cost), and I figure it will help at least some; it certainly helped in the house. Some day, I might consider having it done with ceramic...

I had ceramic tint installed on the windshield of my truck. It was completely undetectable at 90% transmittance, and it made a noticeable difference inside the truck. I also had my side windows darkened with UV blocking tint beyond what came from the factory. Between those two modifications, and the fact that my truck was white, getting in during the TX summer was actually bearable. I will repeat those mods on all my vehicles (including the MH cab) as budget allows. I'm not allowed to pay for ANY new tint to be installed on ANY vehicle other than DW's DD, so I have to do that one first! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-1997 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Toad)
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Soon to be Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote