Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #1

AC dripping need help/advice!

Today when wife got home took her out to show her something I had fixed on the coach...as I walked in a drop of water fell from ac and hit me on the head. Checking the floor it had not been doing this long as there were only two or three drops on the floor. The coach was just parked and not leveled, I have done this before many times and run the ac with no issues at all...coach is level now. I removed the bottom cover off the ac, dried up as much water as I could see and feel. I did find (PLEASE excuse my terminology as I do not know the technical names of the ac components but will do my best not to confuse you) in what I assumed is the pan under the coil/radiator looking thing the fan blows through..there was a fair amount of styrofoam which I removed as best I could for now. But I want to be sure I got/get it all...where does the ac drain from?.....I'm assuming the best thing I can do is remove the shroud...what is the procedure for removing the shroud from the ac unit?
Thanks everyone...in a semi low key panic at this point...nothing a bourbon and coke can't fix...looking forward to words of wisdom from those in the know!
Thanks.
See Ya
dave
DaveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

When I had that happen, I just had to retighten the screws that snug up the doughnut gasket. Differs by manufacturer.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #3

Like your AC at home the cold coils cause condensation. This caught in a pan in the furnace in a house and then drained with a hose to somewhere on the floor.

On a rooftop RV the catch basin pan is almost level with the roof and drains out onto the roof. If you tiny drain hole is plugged with dust, leaves, mold or maybe in your case styrofoam the drain pan overflows. And down on your head it comes.

The other alternative is it is draining properly onto the roof but the rubber seal between the roof and the bottom of AC unit is not tight then the water drains into the RV when the angle of the roof is right. And down on your head it comes.

I would check up on the roof. Here is one youtube to get some idea. More out there on this subject. I have never needed to tighten my roof seal so no experience there,

200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:19 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm not sure what make of your unit but the condenser coil is the one that room air below is pulled thru and sent to the ductwork by a squirrel cage blower. There is a plastic drain pan on mine to catch the condensate water, Mach III Coleman. On each end of the pan is a small hole that allows the condensation to drop out and onto the metal bottom of the ac unit and gravity drain to a hole in the frame and out.

Often the small holes in the plastic drain pan will become stopped up with trash and need to be cleared. They are hard to see as they are located under the coil. If you ever can't clear them, they can be accessed by taking some screws off the coil mounting and raising the coil just enough to see/clear them. Most have drilled the hole larger with a 1/4 inch drill bit.

As stated in another post, it could also be that the gasket needs to be snugged up from below, look for 4 screws below that hold the unit on the roof and compress the gasket.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #5

problem found!

I was lucky (I guess), problem was all the styrofoam particles coming from who knows where (two holes made by Jayco thru the silver tape to feed wiring in and behind the tape nothing but small little BB's of styrofoam just waiting to get sucked into the condenser). Anyway, after removing the cowling then removing the sheet metal cover over the condenser itself I found a nice little two inch across dam of styrofoam. Used my compressor to blow everything out this worked great BUT made a huge mess and blew all the remaining water everywhere...SO live and learn when I go back out side in the mid 90's heat (RV is under cover) I will try to somehow rig a way to get the wet vac up there...(also word of caution if you do decide to use compressed air be VERY careful of fins on compressor...they are very delicate and it is possible to crush them with the air from a compressor...Thanks YOUTUBE).
So I may be able to offer some advice to newbies such as myself...take the filters off and look up inside your ac....UNPLUG FROM SHORE!!!!!!! and run your fingers along the drain pan....if you have styrofoam issue it will be there....OR if you are lucky, as it did when I took filters off rear ac....the styrofoam just fell in my face...so as I say....gonna be back out there in a few to do the rear...
Thanks everyone...as always very helpful!
Ride Safe
see ya
dave
DaveE is offline   Reply With Quote