Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Air Conditioner issue

hey I've been on here for a couple months and have already fixed some of the issues I have had from previous post but this ac one has my stumped. I have a 2011 31fs. ac is a coleman mach 15. I'll run it and it works perfectly for about 24ish hrs then stops cooling. when it does cool it can get really cold. I've had it down to 72 it definitely can get colder. yesterday i decided to try to isolate the issue so i blocked off the ducting (hoping it was bad insulation through them) add ac tape around the inside edges and tightened up the mounting bolts which I found 2 that were loose. started it up it and it cooled it down to 80 which is what I had it set on. I left it on all night at 80, last nights temp got below 80. I have it parked at my house with no one in it. went out about 8ish this morning and it was 82 then by 9 it was 91. it's only 84 outside. went up top nothing is iced over nothing is really hot coils inside and out are clean and filter is clean. I've thought about replacing the mounting gasket but im lost. it's almost like the compressor just shuts off but I would think there would be something pointing to that. hot, iced over . any ideas or help I would appreciate it.
Jbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #2

I've plugged in to 3 different locations at a campground and my house which had a dedicated 30 amp outlet. does the same thing on generator also.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

Could be a thermostat issue.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #4

the fan stays running. I have it set on auto and high. if it was a thermostat would it just cut out the compressor and fan or can it isolate for just the compressor? I'll start searching threads for thermostat issues. thanks for the idea.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbane View Post
the fan stays running. I have it set on auto and high. if it was a thermostat would it just cut out the compressor and fan or can it isolate for just the compressor? I'll start searching threads for thermostat issues. thanks for the idea.
Could be since each has a separate control wire going to the a/c. You need to check output voltages at the thermostat. Could also be in the control box itself as there are separate relays for each as well. Just throwing out possibilities.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

ok I'll run it again when it works and doesn't and see if there is a voltage drop.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbane View Post
ok I'll run it again when it works and doesn't and see if there is a voltage drop.
Not a voltage drop, but whether you have 12 v going to each wire. Yellow should be the compressor feed. Check that when it quits.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

ok. it's running right now and it has 12v its cooling down. once it quits working I'll see if there is still 12v or not.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #9

well it took alot longer to stop blowing cold this time. this morning it went out. checked voltage and it was still good at the thermostat. turned off power to pull the black box in the intake side down and then started it back up so I can get to that when it stops working again. so i can check the compressor relay and maybe the freeze sensors. its working again after I reset the power. thinking maybe something froze and thawed over night between 9pm and 7am and I didn't catch it. whatever is wrong I should be able to figure it out from here correct. relay or sensor voltage should tell me something I'm thinking. I am checking it now so I have a bases to go off of.