Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

Access Panel Modifications

Just got a new Odyssey 24B (similar to the Redhawk 24B). I removed the 3 interior metal access grates (12"x21.5") to locate the water heater, furnace, water pump, water filter, etc. I was kind of surprised that these panels are held on with 4 tiny screws into the hardboard wall. After 2-3 removals, I would think those fine threads would no longer bite into that hardboard. Since some of these panels need to be accessed during winterization/de-winterization, I replaced the screws with some coarse thread drywall screws so the panels were more secure. Has anyone done any modifications to their access panels to improve the access? Seems like some kind of hinge on these panels would make access easier.
Hilltopper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

Mine are not metal grates like you are describing, but I fully agree that this is one of the dumbest things they do, and ALL the trailer manufacturer's do it. And you're right, eventually those little.screws will strip out.
My panels in my 5er are thin wood covered in matching carpet in my pass thru basement storage. I put small hinges on them and hold them closed with a metal catch and a magnet. I bought the catches and hinges at Lowes in the cabinet hardware section. The screws were longer than the thickness of the wood panel. SoI installed them to get everything mounted correctly, marked where the screws needed to be cut down to and nipped them off. I put a dab of wood glue in the screw holes of the panels for more hold and installed the screws. The magnets needed a small piece of wood added to the wall to make everything work. Both panels stay closed nicely too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_173255.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	66256

Name:	20200408_173337.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	66257

Name:	20200408_173622.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	66258
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

When I bought my 2017 29RKS in 2019 the previous owner had removed the screws for the access panel that covers the area needed to winterize the trailer. I’ve decided to leave the cover off too. It’s under the kitchen sink where I keep the garbage can. But after reading the previous post I might just add some magnets to hold it into place to make access easy, but keep the panel in place when not needed.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #4

I like the hinge idea, but I just glued wood strips 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" square moulding from Home Depot behind the fixed panel. The screws bite into that wood, instead of the thin paneling. Less than a dollar, but I bought several extra feet. I use them on several panels, like the power panel allowing me to remove and re-install them.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote